What's for Dinner?

We've just had roast chicken, with roast potatos & parsnips, cabbage, carrots & yams with, the best bit, "elephant's delight" over the chicken. Elephant's delight is marula jelly, which comes from the marula treee in South Africa. My wife brought some back from holiday a few weeks ago. I don't know whether you can get it in America - never seen it over here. It's a sweet jelly; very flavour-enhancing. YUM!

I have to do the washing up in a bit :(

MG

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drinking a nice cold Duvel and grilling some Buffa-Que chicken wings

Steven Raichlen

Steve Raichlen is a grill god. That recipe looks great.

It is. You can adjust the heat by toning down the tobasco on the mop sauce if you don't like them real hot, but I go full on.

I've used several of his recipes (beer can chicken, ribs, etc.) and have never been disappointed.

Tonight is some baked ravioli served with a side of cannellini beans with herbs and prosciutto.

Having a few folks over for a Christmas party, and Mrs. DukeCity is hitting her stride:

Ham w/Raspberry-Chipotle glaze

Meatballs in Buffalo wing sauce

Sausage-Tomato-Basil skewers

Spinach/Artichoke dip

Bleu Cheese/Bacon/Garlic dip

Peach Fondue

Berry pie

I'm already anticipating the nap.

Having a few folks over for a Christmas party, and Mrs. DukeCity is hitting her stride:

Ham w/Raspberry-Chipotle glaze

Meatballs in Buffalo wing sauce

Sausage-Tomato-Basil skewers

Spinach/Artichoke dip

Bleu Cheese/Bacon/Garlic dip

Peach Fondue

Berry pie

Man! You got room for one more? :)

I've got a pork loin roast in the slo cooker, will have country style string beans and macaroni & cheese with it(not the boxed mac&cheese).

I totally ruined Sunday dinner/lunch. The pork was one of those pre-marinated Teriyaki things, it purely sucks, gonna give it to the dog. I put too much cheese in the mac (I didn't know that was possible.). It can be salvaged by adding more mac. The beans were good. They were leftover from last Sunday.

It wasn't my day to cook. *belch* 'Scuse me. :P

BBQ U Memphis Dry Rub Ribs

I know you're having some nasty weather up there, were you able to cook 'em on the grill?

I made up a big pot o' chili tonight which I will "eat off of" for the upcoming week. :rsmile:

I'm out in Arizona until next week, you can always grill in this weather. I have family over from the other side that wanted to see the desert and eat some ribs, so here I am.

Plus this week I'm doing the holiday employee party. I usually cook for eveybody but it has become too much for me to handle. This year I hired a guy and his crew to cook up some Barbacoa with rice and beans.

Fingerling potatoes thinly sliced and fried in not too much olive oil with thyme and rosemary sprigs, garlic and leeks til blistered. Finished in the oven with sliced cremini mushrooms and champagne; dusted with sweet smoked paprika and chopped parsley to serve. Broccoli rabe: blanched, squeezed dry and chopped, then sauteed in lotsa garlic. That's quite enough for me; husband had a roast chicken breast as well, left from a chicken I roasted him Thursday. Never touch birdies, myself - I just polish off the bottles. This one a Chindane brut sparkler from the Loire.

Cooked a big ham for dinner with green beans and a baked potato. I'll be eatin' off that bad boy for awhile.

I found a great glaze recipe- maple syrup, brown sugar, whole grain dijon mustard, cinnamon and nutmeg. I think it's worth the trouble to grind cinnamon sticks and whole nutmeg instead of using the powdered stuff, especially the nutmeg. Much different and more intense flavor.

I've been hearing about the health benefits of kale, which is a veggie I've never really tried nor been particularly interested in.

So I tried it tonight, and I must say it's not bad at all, but I can see that it's all about how you prepare it. I sauteed a liitle garlic in olive oil, tossed in the kale with some chicken stock, cooked it briefly and added salt, pepper and a little red wine vinegar (basically a Bobby Flay recipe). Quite tasty, I must say. I'm now a fan. I've never liked the overcooked soggy greens, but by cooking them "al dente" there is still some crunchiness and probably more vitamins.

Next up: time to learn how to properly cook GRITS!