What's for Dinner?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got round to cooking the Xmas joint !

Roast Norfolk pork with apple sauce, shallots, roast parsnips, suede aka creamed turnip, brussell sprouts, mashed potatoes all currently in prep.

Xmas pud to finish with - to be followed by stilton and Armangnac !

Yum... :excited:

Edited by sidewinder

A friend from Geneva brought me a longeole sausage and a recipe for Geneva potatoes. The longeole is a curious-looking pork sausage with some of the pork rind ground in and fennel seeds for flavoring.

k5apr4812longeolewurstgenfregion350.jpg

The potato recipe is for diced potatoes sautéed with onions and a sauce including white wine, flour, and bouquet garni. Apparently the genevois swear by it.

The sausage is now cooking slowly...

Today I cooked oxtails, nothing fancy.

Oxtails.jpg

They were cut too thin for my liking.

I've always wondered what happens to the other parts of the ox between the tongue and the tail. You never hear of anyone eating ox leg, or rib of ox, or ox shoulder...

Oh, you do hear of ox liver - my mother used to swear by that as the best...

MG

Surely, MG, you have heard of oz tail soup. A dear departed friend of mine loved ox tails, but he would only eat the thin part, because the rest of the tail was too close to the ass!

Yes - I said between tongue & tail - but of course the liver is between tongue & tail.

MG

• 4 weeks later...

Tonight?

BBQ'd Tri-tip marinated in Teriyaki Sauce and finished off with a Teriyaki Glaze.

Stir fry vegies [baby carrots, sugar snap peas, bean sprouts and sliced mushrooms sauteed in EV olive oil and soy sauce] and Rice Pilaf.

Ice cold Newcastle Brown Ale.

Be jealous ^_^

Edited by GoodSpeak

I will be having bison burgers swimming in a naughty wine sauce and topped with crisp-fried onions. Also boiled new potatoes with a subtle caramel (butter and sugar) coating, and (courtesy of my trusty old Cuisinart) a cucumber salad on the side.

Bisonburgers.jpg

No, this is not Bison Tartar, they will be fully cooked. :)

Gurkesalat.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Tonight?

Grilled Ahi Tuna seasoned with EVO, seasoned pepper, sesame seeds and parsley flakes. Sprinkled with lemon juice as it comes off the grill.

Serve with steamed white rice, pickled Japanese Ginger [the red stuff not that pretend pink sweet stuff] and French Cut string beans with almond slices.

The wine: Pinot Grigio.

Edited by GoodSpeak

• 2 weeks later...

About once a month, I'll saute a pot of sliced bell peppers which are packed with Vitamins A and C....more so than an orange from what I've been told. To do it right, you really need to cook them down for about 3-4 hours (stirring every 20 minutes or so) on low heat so that they just start to turn a nice golden color and are super sweet. Some of the vitamins will leach out into the olive oil so you need to save all of that. I make a sort of burrito and roll up in a sun-dried tomato wrap some refried beans, chunks of chicken, 4 or 5 cherry tomatoes, some loose spinach leaves, 2 or 3 tablespoons of the cooked peppers, a tablespoon or two of grated parmesan or romano......then nuke it for 2 minutes and top the finished product with some mashed avocado and some chili lime hot sauce.

The before & after shots from yesterday with 12 red, yellow & orange bells. Last night we put a few spoonfuls on mashed potatoes......'twas perfect!

100_3280.jpg

100_3283.jpg

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

• 3 weeks later...

I never participate in this thread because my cooking is pretty simple and unless I am cooking in the wok, nothing remotely special. (Yes, I probably cook 95% of the time, not that my wife doesn't but our schedules seem to leave me as the cook if I want to eat at a reasonable hour).

Tonight's meal though was something I don't do very often - the never ending pasta dish that allows me to skip doing any cooking for about 4 days. It does turn out pretty nice but then again our tastes are pretty simple. Its basically two boxes of penne, one jar of a gourmet no-salt pasta sauce. I saute six red and green peppers ...

oh fuck it this is too boring to even finish the description. I'm not a chef. I don't pretend to be one. I cook so we can eat so we can live.

Carry on. :blush2: