What's for Dinner?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pizza on the grill.

How do you grill a pizza? You grill burgers, cheekin, steak, suspects, but, I ain't never heard of grilling a pizza. You mean just heating it up?

I've done it a couple of ways.

One is to prepare your pizza and bake in the oven at 450 degrees F until the pizza is almost cooked. That could take anywhere from 10-30 minutes.

Then I throw it on the grill to finish the bottom off.

Another way is to again bake it at 450 until it sets and can be taken off of the pan. Place it on the grill (I use a pizza stone here) until it starts to brown. Flip it over and put your toppings on the cooked side. When everything looks cooked it's done. I brush the dough with olive oil either before or after I take it out of the oven.

It's smart to have a pizza peel and a stone.

I've never had success grilling it from start to finish. Always seems to end up under or over cooked.

Cool. That's a grated grill? [i imagine a burned pizza from hanging down between the grates.]

We have cooked all-grill, nothing but the grill (we includeds my neighbor who is a professional chef). The end product is different from what you can get from the oven. As far as the oven goes a pizza stone is the trick, but then you need a pizza peel to get the pizza onto and off of the stone, but I digress. For the grill we get the dough fairly thin 1/8" to 1/4" thick and no bigger than 10"-12" around. A pizza oven usually runs 500º-600º so you want a fairly hot fire with the coals spread evenly across the bottom of the grill. It also helps if your grill has a good coat of cooking spray. Throw the raw dough down on the grill and wait a couple of minutes till that side is just cooked then pick it up and flip it over, those with particularly hairy hands may want to use some tongs as the burning hair can lend an off flavor to the pizza. Once flipped you work fast to get some toppings on there. As I said this is a different beast than traditional oven pizza. A little red sauce, some thin slices of fresh mozarella & basil; Goat cheese, pesto & sun-dried tomatoes; a little bbq sauce and some thin strips of poached chicken with caramelized onions; etc... Basically you want something that just needs a touch of heat to be ready to eat. Once the toppings are in place you throw the lid on and let it cook till it is done. I would guess if your grill is big enough you could try with indirect heat, but I'm a weber guy so that is not an option. As you can guess this is a multi person operation. Someone tossin' the dough someone workin' the grill and it helps to have the toppings on a table right at the grill. Oh yeah and a bunch of people to eat them while they are still hot.

pizza peel

pizza-peel-2.jpg

Edited by (BB)

Guest donald petersen

Last night - whole Canadian lobster steamed in white wine with shallotts, garlic and sweet red pepper on a bed of organic spaghetti. Fresh rasberries and cream for desert. :)

g_d not only do you have great taste in music, but in food taboot! damn.

Last night - whole Canadian lobster steamed in white wine with shallotts, garlic and sweet red pepper on a bed of organic spaghetti. Fresh rasberries and cream for desert. :)

g_d not only do you have great taste in music, but in food taboot! damn.

:tup:)

It was fantastic. And the price was unbelievable - £3.50 reduced from normal price £16 each for a large lobster ! Can't believe that no-one else spotted it. No 'out of date' issues either - it tasted immaculate.

Stores of the Waitrose chain over here operate a fantastic fresh seafood counter. Sea bass, monkfish, swordfish, oysters, lobsters, crabs, dover sole etc - it's all there. And always immaculately fresh. Usually when I visit the lobsters are sold out. I probably lucked out because, being on holiday off work last week I was able to stock up on the good stuff early in the day before the rich housewives and retirees bought it all. :)

Never again in the history of seafood will I get a deal like that one..

The next night it was fresh mussels, again steamed in white wine. :D

Edited by sidewinder