What's for Dinner?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sea bream, pan fried in olive oil. Olive oil, lemon, dijon mustard & mint dressing.

Tomato, lettuce, green beans and cucumber salad.

Daikon and squid dish, rice.

For dessert a large chocolate eclair and apples.

:rolleyes:

Edited by kinuta

Spinach Florentine Salmon w/brown rice and broccoli.

Oooo.

I want that recipe!

The salmon was something my girlfriend picked up at Trader Joe's. The salmon itself was alright, but I wasn't too impressed with the spinach florentine stuffing. Oh well, she wanted to try it.

Rachel,

Your Inbox is full....but I wanted to thank you for the recipe you sent me. It looks like a wonderful recipe and I can't wait to give it a go! :excited:

BTW, by return favor, we tried a new recipe of sort ourselves last night courtesy Alton Brown of "Good Eats". It was most excellent, too! And here it is:

Salmon Fillet en Papillote with Julienne Vegetable

1/3 cup julienned fennel bulb

1/3 cup julienned leeks, white part only

1/3 cup julienned carrots

1/3 cup julienned snow peas

1 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/8 teaspoon whole coriander seed, ground fine

1 (8-ounce) salmon fillet, pin bones removed

1 orange cut into wedges with white, pithy membrane removed

1 tablespoon dry vermouth

Take a 15 by 36-inch piece of parchment paper and fold in 1/2 like a book. Draw a large 1/2 heart on paper with fold of paper being the center of the heart. Cut out heart and open. Lay fennel, leeks, carrots, and snow peas on parchment in center to 1 side of fold. Mix together salt, pepper, and ground coriander. Sprinkle vegetables with 1/2 of salt, pepper, and coriander. Lay salmon on top of vegetables and season with remaining salt, pepper and coriander. Top with the orange wedges and sprinkle with vermouth. Fold other side of heart over fish and starting at top of heart shape, fold up both edges of parchment, overlapping folds as you move along. Once you reach the end tip, twist several times to secure tightly. Place on microwave safe plate and cook for 4 minutes, on high in microwave, or until fish reaches 131 degrees. Open parchment carefully and serve for a complete meal.

Note: We substituted our own favorite vegies; Sugar snap peas, baby carrots and bean sprouts. We used lemon instead of oranges. Instead of black pepper and corriander we used Lawry's Seasoned Pepper. No vermouth. Tasted great!

Thanks again,

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

Tonight was beer can chicken on the grill with Cajun Blackening spices, a tomato salad(farmer's market tomatoes, backyard grown basil, garlic & some extra virgin olive oil), okra sauteed with garlic, celery,red pepper, onion, tomato, parsley and jalapeno and some broccolli rabe with garlic and olive oil.

• 2 weeks later...

Rachel,

Your Inbox is full....but I wanted to thank you for the recipe you sent me. It looks like a wonderful recipe and I can't wait to give it a go! :excited:

Thanks again,

Tim

You're welcome Tim! Somehow I missed this post until today; thanks for posting your recipe. I think I will try it with your adjustments. I've made chicken in parchment but have never tried salmon. It sounds wonderful.

For everyone, here's the salmon recipe I sent to Tim. It's from "Healthy Appetite with Ellie Krieger" on TV Food Network.

Salmon Florentine

2 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach, thawed

1 tablespoon olive oil

1/4 cup minced shallots

2 teaspoons minced garlic

5 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped

1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese

4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets, rinsed and patted dry

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Using your hands, squeeze spinach of all excess liquid.

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic and cook for 3 minutes until they begin to soften. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, red pepper flakes, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool approximately 10 minutes. Add ricotta and stir to combine. Season with additional salt and pepper, to taste.

Using your hands, pack approximately 1/2 cup spinach mixture on top of each salmon fillet, forming mixture to the shape of the fillet. Place fillets on a rimmed baking sheet or glass baking dish and bake for 15 minutes, until salmon is cooked through.

Just finished grilled pork ribs, new potatoes and onions (grilled in foil with olive oil), green beans and salad. Everything (except the ribs) was picked/dug up from Ann's organic garden today.

Where's the smiley for being excessively envious? All we have to eat in our garden are a few herbs. The rest is flahs.

MG

Apologies if this is the wrong forum but I couldn't resist posting Michael Phelps daily diet.

It's a miracle the guy can walk, let alone swim !

Breakfast: Three fried egg sandwiches; cheese; tomatoes; lettuce; fried onions; mayonnaise; three chocolate-chip pancakes; five-egg omelette; three sugar-coated slices of French toast; bowl of grits; two cups of coffee

Lunch: Half-kilogram (one pound) of enriched pasta; two large ham and cheese sandwiches with mayonnaise on white bread; energy drinks

Dinner: Half-kilogram of pasta, with carbonara sauce; large pizza; energy drinks

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7562840.stm

Apple wood smoked baby back ribs, grilled asparagus, and salad.

What's your routine for cooking the ribs? All the way on the smoker? Wrap 'em in foil at some point? How long did you cook them? Sauce or not?

I needs to know!

Once upon a time I would rub them, wrap in foil and bake in the oven at 300 degrees for 2 1/2 hours, then, finish them on the grill for about 5 minutes each side while mopping with sauce.

Then somebody (Steven Raichlen) woke me up and I use this method....

I don't have a smoker like you, so I have to use the propane grill with smoker pouches (4 of them) for the time being, but they still come out damn good.

I use a rub of brown sugar, kosher salt, black pepper and paprika and let them sit in the fridge for about 6 hours. Grill indirectly at 300-350 for 1 1/2 hours. If I use any sauce, I put it on right at the end and place the ribs over the direct heat to char them up a bit more. Sometimes, like today I make up a simple mopping sauce and baste them every 20 minutes.

This is about as good as you can get it on a gas grill.

Haul from farmer's market:

Heirloom gazpacho with thai and french basils and wild cilantro, guac to dollop on top and oversized croutons

Red and white fingerling potatoes hedgehogged and roasted, stuffed with onions, garlic and fresh rosemary

Wild arugula salad with baby beets (orange, yellow and striped)) and walnuts

Roasted (on the broiler) corn

White nectarines, plums for dessert.