What's for Dinner?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonight, my mom's potato & corn chowder, with some extra stuff.

I cook a couple pieces of chopped bacon in the pot and then saute onions & garlic, then the potatoes go in with some chicken stock.

Later I add the corn, and also asparagus, fresh shrimp, scallops, clams and some Old Bay and other seasonings (definitely some hot sauce). And some milk, of course.

Served with some crusty kalamata olive bread. Yum!

Thanks mom! Your son misses you! :)

Edited by Free For All

What's your technique for toning it down? I've never been able to do so successfully.

I made Texas style chili yesterday. I may have gone with a little too much heat and had to tone it down for leftovers today.

I was going to add some tomato sauce, but the flavors were deep so I wasn't afraid to dilute it with just plain water. I then mixed some additional masa flour with a little warm water to thicken it back up.

We'll see later if I was successful or not.

My wife has a gift for being able to "reverse engineer" various dishes. We'll have something at a restaurant that we really dig, and she'll be able to recreate it, often to a ridiculous degree of accuracy.

She did it again last night. A soup that we had at a Mexican place a while back; Chicken with a bunch of different veggies, tortilla chips "melted" in, some cilantro and a dollop of guacamole. Uncanny!!!

Had leftovers tonight and it tasted even better.

Pizza and a tossed salad.

Decided to do the pizza differently tonight. Used a deep-dish pan (actually just a cake pan) and put the mozzerella on the bottom, then sausage, black olives, sauce and parmesan & seasoning. Kind of a Chicago-style attempt.

It sure has a different flavor when you do it that way- the melted cheese at the bottom is great.

• 2 weeks later...

I made up a recipe for an herb bread the other day. It came out great.

Herb Bread

2 cups bread flour

1 cup whole wheat flour

1 tsp dried oregano

1 tsp dried rosemary

1/2 tsp celery seed

1 tsp black pepper

2 tbs olive oil

2 tbs brown sugar

1 tsp salt

2 tsp yeast

At least 1 1/4 cups water, probably more.

Add oil and all dry ingredients to bread machine mixing bowl. Add cup of water and begin the dough cycle. Continue to slowly add water until dough reaches proper consistency. After 20 to 30 minutes of kneading let rise for an hour, knead again for 5 minutes. Empty dough onto buttered cookie sheet, butter your hands, and shape dough into 3 or 4 small loaves. Let rise until loaves double in size. Bake at 415 for 25 minutes.

• 3 weeks later...

Wednesday night, I made Pollo alla Cacciatora con Melanzane served with some panelle.

Last night we went out to try a little Mediterranean Tapas restaurant down the block that was having a soft grand opening. Free Sangria!

Started off with a salad of goat cheese, apples, walnuts, and lettuce the guy had growing right in the back of the restaurant. He made some kind of hazelnut infused olive oil to drip over it.

And for the tapas...., wood fire oven seared scallops served over a bed of some kind of dandelion that tasted like a cross between mint and basil. Also had the beef satay with peanut and a spicy dipping sauce.

Last was the fingerling potatoes. :tup

• 2 weeks later...