What's for Dinner?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have been dipping my toe into South Asian dishes, starting with the simpler ones. Tonight: homemade masoor daal (orange lentils mixed with onions--in this case, leeks--a little tomato, garlic, and toasted cumin). Mixed it with some leftover Indian rice (one of the roommates had gotten takeout a couple days back) and some kind of pita-like bread. I think it was Syrian bread but I'm not sure. Whatever it was, it was dirt cheap and good.

Tonight: Curryburgers!

Mix some leftover Thai green curry paste with ground beef, throw on Foreman grill, stuff into pita pocket (I can't get enough of that Middle Eastern bread). Couscous with pine nuts on the side. Easy!

Now if anyone has any other inspired ideas of what to do with some two-month-old curry paste, I'd love to hear them...

Tonight: Curryburgers!

Mix some leftover Thai green curry paste with ground beef, throw on Foreman grill, stuff into pita pocket (I can't get enough of that Middle Eastern bread). Couscous with pine nuts on the side. Easy!

Now if anyone has any other inspired ideas of what to do with some two-month-old curry paste, I'd love to hear them...

Maybe mix with a little bit of coconut milk, some scallions, a litle bit of hot pepper flakes, marinate some chicken pieces in that for a few hours, then bake at around 400 for about an hour. Alternately, marinate some chicken cutlets in that, broil them and mix with some greens or veggies on your favorite pita bread.

For an easy and delicous tandoori chicken.

In a bowl grate a couple of cloves of garlic and an inch long piece of ginger.

Add half a carton of natural yoghurt, two or three tablespoons of pureed tomatoes,

salt and three Indian mixes, Kitchen King, Chicken Masala mix, garam masala,one teaspoon of each, half a teaspoon of red pepper and a shot of vegetable oil.

Chop up the chicken and marinate for two hours. Grill until brownish and squeeze lemon juice and serve.

Leftover porcini mushroom risotto (with peas) fried to a crispy pancake, accompanied by steamed rapini laced with virgin olive oil. Plenty of parmesan grated over all, as well as numerous grindings of pepper and a pinch of salt. Accompanied by a bottle of Costaripa Mazane 2003 (a freebie from work--my day job is in the retail wine trade), made from the obscure Italian grape variety called Marzemino, supposedly a favorite of Mozart.

A typical Monday. ^_^

This one is childishly simple but tastes great.

Beat 3-4 eggs. Add salt, pepper,1/2 onion sliced very fine then roughly chopped, several (5-6 )chopped green chilly peppers, a handful of chopped fresh coriander.

Fry omelette in usual way but cook well. Serve with ketchup in white bread rolls.

Sounds like a joke but I had this for breakfast in The Indian Coffee House in New Delhi and promptly begged the recipe. There it was cooked in ghee, I use olive oil.

Edited by kinuta

• 1 month later...

Last week I made octopus for my wine/book group meeting (at which the background music of choice is inevitably hard bop). Stewed the hell out of it and it ended up real tender. Even the guy who said he didn't like octopus cleaned his plate.

Next time I make octopus I'm going to grill it.