What does everybody collect besides music?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Books. Lots and lots of books. There aren't many authors I really "collect" any longer, but there are subjects such as jazz and gnosticism that I collect. . . . Books and cds literally surround me in my private areas (as opposed to common areas) at home.

And stereo stuff. . . I have too many stereo systems, because I love to hear and learn about the differences. . . . Have settled happily on a main system over time!

Like Lon, books... books on jazz, of course, old pulp paperbacks, and a long-running fetish for old Modern Libraries with the dustjackets still on them:

1897l1.jpg

Also the Library of America series:

1883011469.jpg

In both cases I buy only books that I'm really interested in reading... although I've gotten more promiscuous with the Modern Libraries and have snagged a few as curios.

* vintage Kansas City Royals and Kansas City Kings memorabilia.

* all of my dinner plates are mis-matched US state plates that I usually get for a buck or two at varying flea markets. They're fun and educational. You'll know more about the great state of Montana after coming over to my place for breakfast than you ever imagined you would. And if you break one.....who gives a damn. You just go buy another. I have several state glasses as well.

* last summer I developed a facsination with the graphic design scheme from the 1968 Olymics in Mexico....

olimex4.jpg

tk1968oly.jpgtk1968oly2.jpg

oly@s19.gif

I ended up buying both of these on ebay.....

d1457.JPG

d1458.JPG

Edited by Brandon Burke

a long-running fetish for old Modern Libraries with the dustjackets still on them

Welcome to the club! Have you ever been to this site? dogeared

Yeah, I just discovered and "bookmarked" (heh, heh) that site about a month ago. I keep thinking I should pony up the $15 or whatever so that I can get the full use of it... I'm that much of a nut. Probably have about 200 or so w/the jackets by now.

I collect sport memorabilia.

A friend's Dad I met has the most impressive private sports memorabilia collection I've ever seen. He's got all types of money, obviously. Some notables:

Autographed Muhammad Ali boxing gloves actually used in a fight

Autographed photo of the '55 Dodgers (whole team)

He had tons more, but those stand out.

I collect old books and any art supplies/tools I can get my hands on.

Contemporary Horror Fiction, hardcovers, collectible paperbacks, magazines ... the lot. Started in the late 70s and have slowed down these past two/three years.

Photography and design books.

Other books, books, books ...

DVDs.

P.S.: I'm also into Danish furniture of the 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s, but that can hardly be called collecting. I've got a couple of Mogensen, Kjaerholm and Wegner chairs plus a whole bunch of tables from various known designers. When in DK you can always find me haunting the used furniture shops. Lots to be found there if you're there at the right moment (practically when things come in the door). Add to that Grethe Meyer china (produced by Royal Copenhagen) and cuttlery (produced by Georg Jensen) plus lots of glas, Swedish and Norwegian pottery ... you get the picture.

That's some cool stuff! :tup

I used to collect books, but numerous moves (and marriage) have reduced my collection immensely.

The only thing I could say that I collect is guitars. I have around 30 right now. I've had many more in the past, but the ones I have now are real keepers.

It's funny, I went to the mega-chain guitar store this last weekend and spent three hours playing many of their guitars. I realized how much I loved my own guitars; none of the guitars I played (at the store) could hold a candle to them.

Someday, I'll have room to keep them all together again. Right now, they're safely packed away in various family members closets.

:rsmile:

part of my collection of stray issues of the Jenaer-Rundschau with cool cover designs. A 1968 supplement...

(sorry Brandon, will not part with it, but should have known to take the whole pile of 4 or 5 copies with me then...  :(  )

That's really cool. I'd love to see more.

Y'know, something just occurred to me right now. Seems funny to me that the thing I like the most about the Mexico 68 design scheme is its reliance on Swiss School technique (grid system, few colors, two-dimentional, no shading, etc). This is most apparent on the marksmanship and basketball posters, of course.

Edited by Brandon Burke