Board Members You've Had the Pleasure of Meeting

The thread started by Chuck Nessa describing his meeting with Ghost of Miles was nice. Made me wonder who others have met through the various BBS's? Or who you hope to meet someday?

Me, I've had the pleasure of spending an evening with Jazzbo (aka Lon) and seeing his mammoth music collection.

Also had the pleasure of hanging out with Joe Christmas and Joe a few years back. That was a lot of fun.

And I've also had my backbone shattered by the ferocious playing of JSngry and Quartet Out!!! Man, the CD may be awesome, but actually seeing them live is an experience that must be had! Even better than listening to him play is actually rapping with the guy. He is just as engaging in person as he is on the board!

Would really like to hear others stories!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a great time in Dallas, TX a couple years back hanging out at Shawn Dudley's place with Sangrey and Milazzo. I don't know that I will ever have a chance to hang out with these guys again, but I would have loved to have made it a regular thing. We had a good time.

I'm meeting Al Jones and Dave (shrugs) in a couple of weeks down in CT. Should be fun.

It is funny. Al and I have been talking on the phone, emailing, trading music, etc. for about three years now. He's sent me a jpg of his family, but we've never met face to face. Nonetheless, I feel like we have a true friendship. I'm looking forward to hanging out with him.

I also used to hang out with Doug Robinson (ADR) when I lived in Charlotte.

Next time any of you are up near Providence, RI let me know! I'd love to hang out! :rsmile:

I have had the pleasure of speaking with Dmitry, and soulstation1 on the telephone.

Unfortunately, I have still yet to meet anyone fact to face. I hope to change that in the future when I return to NY in the fall.

I'm not sure of this counts, but I swear I've seen Out2Lunch, and Weizen messing around with my mailbox.

No doubt in search of my latest Ravi Shankar CD delivery. B)

I also used to hang out with Doug Robinson (ADR) when I lived in Charlotte.

I hung with Doug in recent years. We went CD shopping a couple of times and out to lunch at a brewery once too. Impossible, were you with us then, or was that the time you were away?? I thought I met a fellow named Cary and.... damn, I'm forgetting the other name. Wait was it Sean I met? Maybe Doug can refresh my memory. Funny thinking about this, I just e-mailed Doug to tell him I won't be down that way any more as my sister-in-law is moving back up to CT. I'll miss hangin' with Doug.

During the early days of the Blue Note board, several of us met at a show in NYC. I remember "hardbop" Heaney, Bertrand, Dmitry, Morgan Fan(?), me, Rob and few others. Anyway, there were quite a few of us. I'll never forget that ride in Dmitry's car!! :D

Later,

Kevin

Kevin,

I think you got together with Shawn Dudley and Doug. They were both living in Charlotte at the time. I was away for the holiday. Funny, I never got to hang out with Shawn in Charlotte. It took a three day business trip to Dallas to meet the guy!

We went out to hear Sangrey play with a couple of keyboard players. It was all improv, but very rigid meter. Never having heard Sangrey play before, this was a great introduction. He is a shapeshifter with his tone and the music was a challenge for him, I think. I remember the keyboard and percussion sounds to be devoid of feeling almost, where Jim's playing was all feeling. An interesting juxtaposition. Do you still play with those guys Jim? Remember it was at that little coffee house?

We went out to hear Sangrey play with a couple of keyboard players. It was all improv, but very rigid meter. Never having heard Sangrey play before, this was a great introduction. He is a shapeshifter with his tone and the music was a challenge for him, I think. I remember the keyboard and percussion sounds to be devoid of feeling almost, where Jim's playing was all feeling. An interesting juxtaposition. Do you still play with those guys Jim? Remember it was at that little coffee house?

I sometimes play with the keyboardist, Kim Corbett, one of the great unfettered minds of our time. What you get one time will most assuredly what you do NOT get the next.

The other guy was an electronic drummer, actually, and unfortunately he's gotten waaaay tied down w/domestic responsibilities. Haven't played with him in over a year now. The night you heard us was one of our first times playing together, and, yeah, it was a challenge. Not because the cat was a drag or anything like that, but just because it was not what I normally play with. At ALL.

Before we kinda lost touch though, we did a series of casual private recordings. Kim & I went into the project eager to get Chad out of his constant "groove" style of playing, but naturally - no ultimatums, laying down of the law, or any such thing. We just figured we'd overwhelm him by the sheer force of our charm and musical personality. :D :D :D

The first time it worked, Chad was really taken aback - he felt as if he weren't "contributing" or actually "playing". When he heard the results, though, it clicked, and he realized that he didn't have to play time and groove ALL the time, that sometimes color and texture were just what the music called for. We did 3-4 more sessions of what would probably be called "Electro-Accoustic Improvisation", I suppose, and none are at all similar to the other. Some of the results are "purely" musical, others are very comedy-oriented, others are cinematic/soundtrack-like, but all are different, and nothing was preplanned. Nothing. That's what makes playing with certain people fun - the serendipity aspect.

And to stay on topic, I've met Lon, Cary, Al, and the aforementioned Shawn & Joe Two Man Collector's Mafia. Got a phone call from Kevin B once, and feel as if I know may of you really well through e-mails and such. And summer being what it is, any invitations issued still stand, recent domestic discombulations notwithstanding, so keep your plans intact!

I MIGHT have seen Harold Vick somewhere too, but it's too soon to tell.

While I don't think I've met anyone currently on this board, I have gotten to know, trade with, and hang out with several local guys that I met through the ol' BN board (alas, I don't believe they've followed us over here).

Anyone who lives in or passes through L.A. is more than welcome to drop me a line...

Ray

I met Mike Fitzgerald last year. I sold him a bunch of Jazz Times and Cadences and we met over at Shanghai Jazz in Madison for a drink. Very enjoyable to hear about his experience.

Guys I'd love to meet (in no special order): Tod, Weizen, Lon, Jim, Ed, Dan, Jim R. and Chuck (talked to him on the phone a couple of times when ordering cds). Heck, I'd like to meet all you guys!

• 15 years later...

In addition to JohnS and the ubiquitous BillF (!) I’ve had the great pleasure to meet Kinuta and JohnJ in Tokyo, Aggie (Erik) in Stuttgart, jazzscriveyn in UK and Daniel A in Stockholm.

Updated to say that I have met Gary and RogerF too !

Edited by sidewinder

6 hours ago, BillF said:

Met (all in UK): JohnS, Ghost of Miles, Sidewinder, Head Man, R Davenport, Lark Ascending (come back Lark!)

Called on Skype: Tom 1960 (Maine), John Tapscott (Toronto), Kinuta (Tokyo).

That was such a lovely visit, Bill! Endless gratitude to you and your family for hosting me and Kate during our stay in Manchester. 

23 hours ago, JSngry said:

I met myself of the scales the other day and had the pleasure of seeing that, yeah, my scale does go below 260, which prompted a lot of memories. Let's do it again sometime!

That’s awesome, brother! Do you have a goal weight in mind? What habits have you changed that led to this?