Summer 2005 RVG Titles

Kevin Bresnahan

07243 563833 2 6 Bobby Hutcherson – Oblique

07243 563815 2 0 Grant Green - Sunday Morning

07243 563841 2 5 Andrew Hill – Judgment

07243 563843 2 3 Lonnie Smith – Think!

07243 563811 2 4 Jimmy Smith At The Organ – Volume 3

These are the titles I'm most looking forward to! There seems to be a lot more adventure in this batch.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now with Blue Mitchell's The Thing to Do and "Down With It" out on CD and "Boss Horn" due out as an RVG, hopefully Blue Note will follow up with "Bring It Home to Me" and "Heads Up" within the near future

I have the Spanish Blue Note edition of "Boss Horn". Any idea if there will be additional tracks on the RVG Edition?

07243 563823 2 9  Don Cherry – Symphony For Improvisers

07243 563833 2 6  Bobby Hutcherson – Oblique

Ok, did I miss something about using the Japanese RVG masters? When did Oblique and Symphony for Improvisors come out there as JRVGs?

Maybe there is a new batch on its way... :o

If the RVG CD of Boss Horn sounds anything like the RVG original vinyl you guys are in for a huge treat!!!! Very, very well done!!!

"Boss Horn" is a great session....I like it much more than "The Thing to Do". Won't be purchasing this one because I have the Mosaic, but I highly recommend this one to anyone who doesn't have it.

I believe Green's "Sunday Morning" has a clearly audible sound of a beer bottle being knocked over on one of the tunes. I foget which tune but it's one of the ballads. I think it was Cuscuna who told me it was a beer bottle.

Of course, it could be my failing memory... but I'm positive it was a Grant Green date and almost positive it was "Sunday Morning".

Later,

Kevin

By the way, I want to give a hearty thumbs up ( :tup  :tup  :tup ) for Grant Green's Sunday Morning ( :wub: ).

I wonder if the RVG will make that beer bottle falling over louder or softer on his remater of this date. :D

Later,

Kevin

Less than a minute into 'Uncle Sam Blues' on Hot Tuna's 'live' acoustic LP, there's a beer bottle nailing the floor and breaking. I've always loved that! :lol: This truly is a wonderous recording.....I can't imagine anyone ever being able to improve the 'quality' through a re-mastering. Actually, is this even on cd? :unsure: If so, it would be interesting to know if they tried to filter out the bottle.

EDIT: I actually just answered my own question. The Hot Tuna has been remastered and if you listen to the soundclip over at CD Universe the bottle is still there, loud as can be! :lol:

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

Very nice selection of RVG titles. I have all of these one way or another except the Cherry, and I'm not interested in Cherry.

I'm happy with most of these how I have them. The Connection is one of my least favorite BNs, just not very interesting. The Blue Mitchell is part of the Mosaic, and I don't really like the Mosaic. That's one of the Mosaics I bought when I was on a Mosaic kick back in 1999, buying a variety of Mosaics to experiment with different sounds. Many were successful experiments like the Jackie McLean and the Eddie Condon, but I consider the Mitchell a failure - same with the Jimmy Smith Mosaic. I liked it once, not as much the second time, six years later there hasn't been a third time and it's now a dust collector.

Fuego is excellent, but the sound on the old BN CD is fine for me. Lonnie Smith Think! is a great album - very funky. Glad to see it back. The Blakey is good, but not outstanding for me - when I want to hear some Blakey it's not usually the one I put on. Sunday Morning was one of my first Grant Greens and I still like it.

The only one in this batch I would consider for an upgrade would be Oblique - that's one of my favorite BNs. I was just listening to it last week, and my old Collectors Choice version sounds awful. An upgrade to RVG would be good. :tup

By the way, I want to give a hearty thumbs up ( :tup  :tup  :tup ) for Grant Green's Sunday Morning ( :wub: ).

I wonder if the RVG will make that beer bottle falling over louder or softer on his remater of this date. :D

Later,

Kevin

Less than a minute into 'Uncle Sam Blues' on Hot Tuna's 'live' acoustic LP, there's a beer bottle nailing the floor and breaking. I've always loved that! :lol: This truly is a wonderous recording.....I can't imagine anyone ever being able to improve the 'quality' through a re-mastering. Actually, is this even on cd? :unsure: If so, it would be interesting to know if they tried to filter out the bottle.

EDIT: I actually just answered my own question. The Hot Tuna has been remastered and if you listen to the soundclip over at CD Universe the bottle is still there, loud as can be! :lol:

Cool! You're a Hot Tuna fan. :tup

I'm an old Airplane/Tuna fan myself. :g

Well I'm no RVG fan and have or have had all these titles... but I will give two cheers for Oblique - I won't 'upgrade' mine (and I have doubts about the effect of RVGing on the intensive sound of this one) but it is musically terrific, IMO better than some more celebrated Hutcherson titles, and I'm glad it is going to be in the reach of more buyers.

I really really love Inventions and Dimensions. It's just got that exploratory vibe and is rhythmically interesting and should sound really great on the RVG version (the JRVG sounds really nice!)

It's different than a lot of the other Blue Notes and me likey different.

I still don't have INVENTIONS AND DIMENSIONS. That's probably the only Herbie BN that I don't have. Looks like an interesting session; P.C.'s on the bass, I'll be getting it for that reason alone. Any thoughts on this one?

it's a very nice date I find, with some repetitive, percussive "minimal" elements and Herbie in a particularly angular mood.

I still don't have INVENTIONS AND DIMENSIONS.  That's probably the only Herbie BN that I don't have.  Looks like an interesting session; P.C.'s on the bass, I'll be getting it for that reason alone.  Any thoughts on this one?

it's a very nice date I find, with some repetitive, percussive "minimal" elements and Herbie in a particularly angular mood.

I love "Inventions and Dimensions"! That was THE revelation when I got the Herbie box. The music has such a nice easy flow, it's very associative, very free (but never noisy). Killer cover, too, but for that one would have to buy the LP, I suppose...

ubu

Takin' Off...it was re(mc)mastered in 1995 or 96.

The JRVG of Takin' Off is very nice. Dexter's sound comes through in all its rich loveliness.

(Some — well, a lot of — JRVGs drive me batty, but others really hit the mark. The current JRVG I'm loving is Spring.)

The Don Cherry and Hutcherson - Oblique popping up on the US release schedule is a VERY strong hint that a new round of the Japanese RVG program will be starting this summer.

Fantastic if so.

And if there is, it will surely be heavily weighted to the late 60'e/early 70's era - even better. Some great stuff to come - Elvin Jones, the Hutcherson/Land stuff, Some later Andrew titles, and more Sam Rivers & Larry Young titles.

Hope it happens. If there is a new JRVG series, sure bets are Natural Essence, Jody Grind, and Total Eclispe.

Hope someone with the inside track can find out.

The Don Cherry and Hutcherson - Oblique popping up on the US release schedule is a VERY strong hint that a new round of the Japanese RVG program will be starting this summer.

Fantastic if so.

And if there is, it will surely be heavily weighted to the late 60'e/early 70's era - even better. Some great stuff to come - Elvin Jones, the Hutcherson/Land stuff, Some later Andrew titles, and more Sam Rivers & Larry Young titles.

Hope it happens.

That would be something. Hard to imagine the Japanese market wanting the type of titles you describe — though I'm all for them — at least judging from past reissue programs ... but one never knows, do one?

I think it'd be great.

If there is a new JRVG series, sure bets are Natural Essence, Jody Grind, and Total Eclispe.

I wouldn't bet on a JRVG of NATURAL ESSENCE. Doesn't seem all that likely to me.

My money's on us seeing it as a Conn here (hopefully with bonus tracks from The Trainwreck™), before it ever gets the JRVG treatment.

Anything's possible, however, with JODY GRIND and TOTAL ECLIPSE.

I'd really love to see a domestic JODY GRIND some time. :wub: The McMaster is clearly taken from an LP (or that's my memory of it -- I know it sounds pretty rough), and I'd definitely upgrade, probably the day it was released. More Woody and Tyrone!!! :wub::wub::wub:

Edited by Rooster_Ties