Summer 2005 RVG Titles

Kevin Bresnahan

I was given the go-ahead to list what Blue Note is planning to release in the summer batch of RVGs. I don't see a lot "wow" titles but I can see where a lot of people looking for "Symphony For Improvisers" could be very happy.

The list:

07243 563802 2 6 Donald Byrd – Fuego

07243 563823 2 9 Don Cherry – Symphony For Improvisers

07243 563833 2 6 Bobby Hutcherson – Oblique

07243 563836 2 3 Freddie Redd – Music From The Connection

07243 563800 2 8 Art Blakey - The Big Beat

07243 563815 2 0 Grant Green - Sunday Morning

07243 563798 2 4 Herbie Hancock - Inventions And Dimensions

07243 563839 2 0 McCoy Tyner – Time For Tyner

07243 563813 2 2 Blue Mitchell – Boss Horn

07243 563841 2 5 Andrew Hill – Judgment

07243 563843 2 3 Lonnie Smith – Think!

07243 563811 2 4 Jimmy Smith At The Organ – Volume 3

So what's the consensus? My first reaction was "Think!"?????? :)

Later,

Kevin

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I have most of these so it's not that big of a deal anymore - but a couple of years ago I'd have been doing cartwheels over these titles. 

Me too. I've been holding off on Big Beat, though... Judgement? Yep, I'll buy that! And my Fuego could stand the upgrade.

But two years back I woulda flipped my wig!

Edit: Who the hell am I kidding? My Think! could use an upgrade too. As usual, I'll probably buy 'em all...

Edited by sjarrell

Guest akanalog

wow. sorry scottb. that is bad timing with "think".

"oblique" is so much better than "happenings". great album. one of my favorite BNs.

"judgement" and "time for tyner" are two of my other favorite BNs.

"time for tyner" is in my opinion, tyner's best on the label.

Thanks for posting this list Kevin.

EDIT: I should add that, like some of the others, I have almost all of these titles already and will probably not be caving for sonic upgrades. Nice titles though. Many that I would recommend to others. Esp: Judgement, Oblique, Symph for Improvisers, Inventions & Dimensions.

Edited by Brandon Burke

If Judgment! uses the same remaster as the JRVG, I think everyone's in for a treat. To my ears, this is one of the best-sounding JRVGs. No crazy booming (like we unfortunately got, at least on my system, in Blue Spirits and Tender Moments). If you have any doubts about upgrading for sound on this one — I'd say don't doubt! Rudy gave Andrew some TLC on this one.

I'm very tempted by the Symphony for Improvisers remaster. Larry Walsh did the remastering for the original Connoisseur, and it, well, it ... I'll probably fork over for the RVG just out of curiosity. Great album. I'm also a little surprised that an album like this could make the "RVG" cut. Way to go Michael! Now maybe we'll see Extensions & Dimensions as an RVG some day.

Even though I'm not as ecstatic about the RVG series as I once was, overall I think it's a great list. Happy to see the series thriving.

I'm really the guy this series is for. I've just been seriously into jazz for maybe 3-4 years, so I missed all those Conns and older McMasters that are out of print.

Most titles that I had before I discovered the RVG series, were the essential Blue Note titles that I've since upgraded. Song For My Father, Soul Station, Blue Train, Sidewinder, and the like.

Now, these are mostly titles that I've never even heard because they haven't been available since I've been collecting so I get excited with each batch.

It's like Christmas for me every few months!!

I'm really the guy this series is for. I've just been seriously into jazz for maybe 3-4 years, so I missed all those Conns and older McMasters that are out of print.

Most titles that I had before I discovered the RVG series, were the essential Blue Note titles that I've since upgraded. Song For My Father, Soul Station, Blue Train, Sidewinder, and the like.

Now, these are mostly titles that I've never even heard because they haven't been available since I've been collecting so I get excited with each batch.

It's like Christmas for me every few months!!

I thought I was the guy this series was for.

Scott you and I are in the same boat. Most of this stuff is new to me. I've got a few of the McMasters that I've upgraded for sonic reasons, so I pass the older versions on to family and friends.

But this summer batch has nothing that I already have. There were some duplicates for the FEB/MAR batches but like for you Christmas comes every few months for me as well. :)

If Judgment! uses the same remaster as the JRVG, I think everyone's in for a treat. To my ears, this is one of the best-sounding JRVGs. No crazy booming (like we unfortunately got, at least on my system, in Blue Spirits and Tender Moments). If you have any doubts about upgrading for sound on this one — I'd say don't doubt! Rudy gave Andrew some TLC on this one.

I'm very tempted by the Symphony for Improvisers remaster. Larry Walsh did the remastering for the original Connoisseur, and it, well, it ... I'll probably fork over for the RVG just out of curiosity. Great album. I'm also a little surprised that an album like this could make the "RVG" cut. Way to go Michael! Now maybe we'll see Extensions & Dimensions as an RVG some day.

Even though I'm not as ecstatic about the RVG series as I once was, overall I think it's a great list. Happy to see the series thriving.

I just got off the horn with Michael Cuscuna to ask about this. These titles will all use the exact same mastering as they did for their Japanese counterpart. Michael said they've worked out the financials with Rudy to stop him from having to remaster every session twice. These should sound as good as their Japanese counterpart.

IMHO, I think these will make excellent "test vehicles" for us to see if the Japanese really make their CDs better than the US plants. A/B a couple and let's see if there's a difference. Privately, I'm hoping there is.

Later,

Kevin

Damn straight!!! I had the TOCJ of this and it was so audiophile quiet (and mind you I don't care for the pumped RVG volume just for the sake of it) that you had to go past one o'clock to get anything out of it. The JRVG is superb!!!

I think I have most of these so it's not that big of a deal anymore - but a couple of years ago I'd have been doing cartwheels over these titles. 

Me too. I've been holding off on Big Beat, though... Judgement? Yep, I'll buy that! And my Fuego could stand the upgrade.

But two years back I woulda flipped my wig!

Edit: Who the hell am I kidding? My Think! could use an upgrade too. As usual, I'll probably buy 'em all...

Maybe it's because I'm a drummer, or maybe it's because I'm a Wayne Shorter fanatic, but to me, The Big Beat is one of the GREAT Messengers albums. Lee's arrangement of It's Only A Paper Moon hit me like a truck the first time I heard it. I love that era of that band, and I love that side. I highly recommend picking this up, RVG'd or not.

I'm really the guy this series is for.  I've just been seriously into jazz for maybe 3-4 years, so I missed all those Conns and older McMasters that are out of print. 

Most titles that I had before I discovered the RVG series, were the essential Blue Note titles that I've since upgraded.  Song For My Father, Soul Station, Blue Train, Sidewinder, and the like.

It's like Christmas  for me every few months!!

I thought I was the guy this series was for.

Scott you and I are in the same boat. Most of this stuff is new to me. I've got a few of the McMasters that I've upgraded for sonic reasons, so I pass the older versions on to family and friends.

I'm with you guys too. We are really spoiled....and very lucky.

This batch looks great! Haven't heard the Don Cherry or the Hutcherson sets. Can't wait to get em!

Nice list!! :)

I've already got most of them on disc, in one form or another -- but I'm glad to see a few titles in there, in particular. Oblique, especially. Judgement too.

Kinda wish they had RVG'ed Complete Communion before Symphony For Improvisers, but my memory is that Symphony's been OOP longer.

Like I said, nice list!!