My Funny Valentine - the Miles Davis album

skeith

yeah, but the winning bids are in the $60-90 range. i'm guessing some of these sets are promos and others were originally purchased from music clubs. also note that yourmusic4less is one of the sellers.

Is that a good or a bad thing. I've never dealt with them.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess after hearing so much bashing of Coleman as a bad fit for the Davis band before I ever heard him....well, when I did hear those sides, I really loved them. To me, Coleman grounded that unit. With Wayne they were off into outer space, which is cool too. I just like it here on earth a little more than Miles did. :D

Anybody who bashes George Coleman's playing with Miles needs to have their ears examined. :)

Guy

Just to add my two cents.

I was always attracted to Wayne's writing and improvisations because he creates beautiful haunting melodies. He is unique because he doesn't rely as much as George Coleman or Hank Mobley on the bebop language.

But that is just "fine tuning". I like Coleman's playing and I think that he did a marvelous job on these live recordings.

It also looks like the Miles Davis in Europe reissue won't include "Bye Bye Blackbird" from that engagement. Any other live tracks on the box that won't appear on the individual reissues? I'm not interested in all the studio alternate takes, but I might have to grab the box instead of the individual reissues.

Guy

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the other upcoming Miles Davis reissues do list bonus tracks.

Here's what I've seen on the March 15th releases (all listed for $8.39 at CD Universe):

Miles Davis - Seven Steps to Heaven (Columbia/Legacy)

— Miles Davis (trumpet); George Coleman (tenor saxophone); Victor Feldman, Herbie Hancock (piano); Ron Carter (bass); Tony Williams, Frank Butler (drums); recorded in LA & NYC, April-May, 1963; includes two bonus tracks; remastered; with new liner notes by Bob Belden

Miles Davis - Miles Davis in Europe (Columbia/Legacy)

— Miles Davis (trumpet); George Coleman (tenor saxophone); Herbie Hancock (piano); Ron Carter (bass); Tony Williams (drums); recorded at Festival Mondial Du Jazz Antibes, Juan Les-Pin, France (7/27/1963); remastered; one bonus track; with new liner notes by Harvey Pekar

Miles Davis - Four and More: Recorded Live in Concert (Columbia/Legacy)

— Miles Davis (trumpet); George Coleman (tenor saxophone); Herbie Hancock (piano); Ron Carter (acoustic bass); Tony Williams (drums); Philharmonic Hall, New York, New York (2/12/1964); remastered; with new liner notes by John Ephland

Miles Davis - Miles in Tokyo (Columbia/Legacy)

— Miles Davis (trumpet); Sam Rivers (tenor saxophone); Herbie Hancock (piano); Ron Carter (acoustic bass); Tony Williams (drums); Kohseinenkin Hall, Tokyo, Japan (7/14/1964); remastered; with new liner notes by Takao Ogawa discussing Sam Rivers's role

Miles Davis - Miles in Berlin (Columbia/Legacy)

— Miles Davis (trumpet); Wayne Shorter (tenor saxophone); Herbie Hancock (piano); Ron Carter (bass); Tony Williams (drums); Berlin Philharmonie, Germany (9/25/1964); remastered; includes one bonus track; with new liner notes by Michelle Mercer

I don't have the Seven Steps to Heaven box although it's hopefully on the way but not being that familiar with the content are these reissues on it or are there are significant additions on these single cds not in the box set? Hope this doesn't smack of laziness but I thought someone who had the box could give a relatively quick answer.

I don't have the Seven Steps to Heaven box although it's hopefully on the way but not being that familiar with the content are these reissues on it or are there are significant additions on these single cds not in the box set? Hope this doesn't smack of laziness but I thought someone who had the box could give a relatively quick answer.

Brad,

Yes, the box seems to have tracks that are not appearing on the individual reissues. There are eight "previously unreleased tracks" in the box, plus an additional four previously unissued introductions. By my count there are only four bonus tracks among these individual reissues. Four of the unreleased tracks in the box come from the Seven Steps sessions alone, so two tracks are clearly not making it to the individual release. An unreleased version of "Autumn Leaves" is not to be found on either of the Four & More/My Funny Valentine individual reissues. And I think there are three previously unissued tracks from the Antibes date (one of those tracks being an introduction), only one of which makes it to the individual reissue. I'm sure I'm leaving something out.

I don't have the Seven Steps to Heaven box although it's hopefully on the way but not being that familiar with the content are these reissues on it or are there are significant additions on these single cds not in the box set?  Hope this doesn't smack of laziness but I thought someone who had the box could give a relatively quick answer.

Brad,

Yes, the box seems to have tracks that are not appearing on the individual reissues. There are eight "previously unreleased tracks" in the box, plus an additional four previously unissued introductions. By my count there are only four bonus tracks among these individual reissues. Four of the unreleased tracks in the box come from the Seven Steps sessions alone, so two tracks are clearly not making it to the individual release. An unreleased version of "Autumn Leaves" is not to be found on either of the Four & More/My Funny Valentine individual reissues. And I think there are three previously unissued tracks from the Antibes date (one of those tracks being an introduction), only one of which makes it to the individual reissue. I'm sure I'm leaving something out.

Sounds correct.

Now, if this was from Verve... :rolleyes:

• 8 years later...

I haven't gone back to listen to that NPR piece again, but I could have sworn that he said "My Funny Valentine" and "Four and More" were recorded from different sets (MFV from the first set, and F&M from the second).

If someone said this, they are incorrect.

For what it's worth, while this is an excellent concert, I do wonder whether its reputation is at least in part exaggerated due to the fact that it had almost no competition for listeners' ears from other live recordings with this rhythm section for a decade. Maybe if the Plugged Nickel or later recordings had been released in real time...

Edited by Guy

I haven't gone back to listen to that NPR piece again, but I could have sworn that he said "My Funny Valentine" and "Four and More" were recorded from different sets (MFV from the first set, and F&M from the second).

For what it's worth, while this is an excellent concert, I do wonder whether its reputation is at least in part exaggerated due to the fact that it had almost no competition for listeners' ears from other live recordings with this rhythm section for a decade. Maybe if the Plugged Nickel or later recordings had been released in real time...

I don't know, but I personally doubt it.

The tension and aggression they played with due to the money situation is quite noticeable. And it is still fascinating to hear how cohesively two rather disparate sources, meaning Coleman vs. Ron/Herbie/Tony played together. Kinda reminds me a lot of the Coltrane Quartet in '65. You just felt as though both bands had reached their apotheosis at those points, and could simply go no further.

I think it was genius to break the concert up into the two albums sequenced just as they are. I think that is a big reason why they are so lauded.

From the NPR column:

Journalist and critic Colin Fleming considers this show one of three or four greatest concerts ever given. The irony, he says, is that the experience was miserable for the musicians, who'd had an argument just before showtime.

"Miles Davis is 37 at this point; his drummer, virtuoso drummer, Tony Williams, is 18; Herbie Hancock, the pianist, is 23," Fleming tells NPR's Rachel Martin. "Davis says, 'We're doing this for free.' And he's rich — drives, like, a Ferrari. Everyone else is like, 'No, we're not doing it for free.' They have a big row, they go on, and basically they play this kind of speed-metal, punk, thrash-jazz, with Davis acting almost as conductor."

=======================

Ugh. This kind of quasi-reportage seems careless to me. Did Davis own a Ferrari in 1964? Were the ages of Ron Carter and George Coleman somehow irrelevant? (Why were Wiliams' and Hancock's ages relevant?) The word "basically" in journalism is an empty intensifier — it's meant to signify an in-the-know posture, whereas it almost inevitably points to the very opposite. And ... "speed-metal, punk, thrash-jazz" ... ? :rfr Please. Maybe in 1974, but not 1964.

No, they were originally released as two completely separate albums which may have confused some. But songs for both albums came from every set they did, essentially. The faster stuff released on Four & More, the slower tunes and ballads released on My Funny Valentine. All recorded February 12, 1964.

Edited by Scott Dolan

And ... "speed-metal, punk, thrash-jazz" ... ? :rfr Please. Maybe in 1974, but not 1964.

That cheap journalise pretending to be hip to Miles and jazz grates with me as well. A friend sent me an article earlier this week where someone was reminiscing about their father digging Brubeck's Take Five in his car and then drew upon the alleged dichotomy between Brubeck's image and that of Miles during the recording of Kind Of Blue back in 1959: "'Davis looked like an advertisment for voodoo. Brubeck, of Swiss extraction, looked like an advertisment for J. Press or Brooks Brothers. Davis looked as though he wanted to eat you. Brubeck looked as though he wanted to give you a seminar on Schoenberg’s twelve tone technique."

It sounds rather nice and erudite, but it is all fury and signifying nothing!

The urbane and sophisticated 1959 Miles as primitive voodoo priest is so way off the mark.

I don't know, but I personally doubt it.

The tension and aggression they played with due to the money situation is quite noticeable. And it is still fascinating to hear how cohesively two rather disparate sources, meaning Coleman vs. Ron/Herbie/Tony played together. Kinda reminds me a lot of the Coltrane Quartet in '65. You just felt as though both bands had reached their apotheosis at those points, and could simply go no further.

I have listened to every (or nearly every) live recording with this rhythm section. I don't dispute that they felt what they felt on this evening, but their playing here doesn't strike me as unusual in terms of aggression/tension. Can you give specific examples of compositions played at this concert and on other live recordings from 1964-1967 that are played with more aggression/tension here?