Sabu Martinez

baryshnikov

B-) Mike that cd is awesome, its considered to be the holy grail of latin record collectors? I sold mine years ago, now i could get £1,500 for my original black Alegre lp. Ring the guy up and reserve it, this cd might be the latest re-issue some of the tracks are missing? My album now is the Japanese re-issue cost £30 ten years ago, but the quality is excellent, also have quality cd, bought in London 5 years ago, cost £10. As far as i know there were only 500 copies pressed, as Mafia financed deal. Record fell flat, because music was not catering for Anglo- saxon market, it kicks, believe me. Pure latin musicians, enjoying themselves, great version os Nicas Dream, check thats not the track missing, i think it maybe? WOULD BE REALLY INTERESTED TO SEE WHAT YOU THINK OF IT, pAUL

What a coincidence. I had never even heard of Martinez until recently I obtained a copy of a live performance from Cologne in 1975 with the following personnel:

Palo Congo Group: Tony Coe (ts, cl), Francy Boland (p), Raphael Garrett (b), Tony Inzalaco (d), Sabu Martinez (perc).

That could be because he emigrated to Sweden in the 1960's. But even before he was not as visible on the scene as Mongo, Ray Barretto, or Candido. He was the conga player in Dizzy's band after Chano Pozo's death, that alone should save him a place in jazz history. But his own Lps all are rarities - good to have them back again.

:mellow: Can anyone tell me what the word Gem means after some tunes on Jazz Espagnole, presumably it is a latin rhythm? What a great album, gets me everytime, paul

Got the CD yesterday - one hot mutha of an album! Some of the hottest Latin jazz recorded around this time - 1960! This was a hotter band than Mongo's - who only assembled one two years later and included that very same trumpet player and arranger, Marty Sheller. Bobby Porcelli was in Mongo's band in the late 1960's as was bassist Bill Salter.

GEM - this means something like "germ" in English - a rhythmical germ, so to say. Just short percussive tracks to open and close the LP sides.

I'm afraid I willö have to go hunting for the other Sabu albums I don't have - this is really hot - Willie Bobo's groove and agility and Mongo's power.

• 12 years later...

Sabu had a strong connection to Art Blakey and Blue Note - remember the duo both recorded on November 23, 1953 which was released on Horace Silver's second 10-inch Blue Note Trio LP. He guested on one of Jay Jay Johnson's Blue Note sessions.

He was an important figure in Blakey's percussion recordings, his own LP was in between: 

- Drum Suite (Columbia, February 22, 1957)

- Orgy In Rhythm (Blue Note, March 7, 1957)

- Palo Congo (Blue Note, April 28, 1957)

- Cu-Bop (Jubilee, May 13, 1957) The Jazz Messengers plus Martinez

- Drums Around The Corner (Blue Note, November 2,1958) Ray Barretto for Martinez

- Holiday For Skins (Blue Note, November 9, 1958) Martinez and Barretto

That's a nice series, isn't it? Maybe Martinez and Blakey talked Alfred Lion into giving it a beak. Blakey's next percussion record, The African Beat, led to another non-jazz Blue Note LP, Solomon Ilori's African Highlife.

I think it's great that Alfred Lion was open for such things. Only vocal recordings are found less often in the Blue Note catalog.

Thanks mikeweil, that really answers my question. That´it. Blakey would have talked Alfred Lion into giving Sabu a record date of his own. Many BN records happened that way.

And thank you for reminding me of the Blakey-Sabu Duo from 1953. Should listen to that again. I think I have it with the original cover titled "Horace  Silver Trio + Spotlite on the Drums". That always amused me, as the using of the same cover foto on that album and on the album  "H.S. and the Jazz Messengers". One is red, one is blue I think....

• 3 years later...
On 7/31/2020 at 10:19 PM, DougFelt said:

Here's Sabu with Jose Curbelo featuring Al Cohn and Jimmy La Vaca circa 1951.

That is absolutely phenomenal.  I have only one album by Jose Curbelo, a 70s budget reissue of late-1940s material.  I need to spin it.

Who did that arrangement? Is it on an LP or CD someplace?  It is very much along the lines of what Chico O'Farrill was doing at that time. 

And Jimmy "La Vaca" Santiago on timbales!

There is precious little of Latin big band stuff from that era on video.  That was amazing!

• 8 months later...

Can anyone shed some light on the Art Blakey with Sabu album that was originally released on Jubilee?

There is one track on a Blue Note comp.  It is not only a needle-drop, but the producer was not skilled enough to know that when digitizing mono vinyl, the left and right need to be combined to reduce surface noise.

Anyway, this was apparently reissued on vinyl on Trip.  How is that?  Was this a needle-drop, or did the masters still exist in the 1970s.

There is also a Japanese CD, and a European Fresh Sound CD.  Has anyone heard these, and can anyone comment on the sound quality?

Thanks in advance.