Viva Prog Rock

Aggie87

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

David Longdon (lead singer for Big Big Train) did audition for Genesis at one point, he basically sounds like a cross between Gabriel and Collins so that makes perfect sense.  Their 2-part English Electric album is their best so far.  They have a live blu-ray release (Stone & Steel) and a new studio album (Folklore) coming in the first half of 2016.  

The lead singer/guitarist/keyboardist from Norwegian band Beardfish (one of my favorites) has now also joined BBT full-time and will be featured on their new release.  

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere on this board, if so I apologize in advance.

There's a mammoth Pink Floyd box coming out soon - 27 discs, covering the years 65-72.  It's listing at pinkfloyd.com currently for $550. 

Here's a link to the contents - it's almost too much to post here.  Stuff that many thought would never see the light of day.

http://www.pinkfloyd.com/news/pdfs/Complete_Early_Years_Box_Track_Listing.pdf

(also, most of it will come out in individual smaller cd/dvd boxes in 2017, except for the bonus discs at the bottom of the listing.

58af21d9a65343a4bbe49b1dc905288c_huge.jp

I pre-ordered the Floyd box the day it was announced.  Crazy amount of interesting stuff.  My pre-order is with Amazon US ($700), but everyone seems to think the price will go down closer to $500/$550 by release date.

The only thing more unimaginable than the price, is being without it -- so I bit almost instantly.  Other than a ton of Mosaic sets, I think this will be the first non-jazz box set I've ever spent more than $100 on (that I can recall).  I usually wait until I can find used copies of stuff, often years after they're first released.  Not this one, though, I'm there on day #1 -- plus 5-6 days (because I'm too cheap to pay an extra $7 for 2-day shipping).

• 6 months later...

Anybody listen to Umphrey's McGee? I always thought they were some kind of hippie jam band outfit. But I just read an interview with the guitarists and discovered that they're more proggy than anything else. Now listening to "Similar Skin", which is definitely in the prog/rock/metal genre!

Edited by BFrank

12 hours ago, BFrank said:

Anybody listen to Umphrey's McGee? I always thought they were some kind of hippie jam band outfit. But I just read an interview with the guitarists and discovered that they're more proggy than anything else. Now listening to "Similar Skin", which is definitely in the prog/rock/metal genre!

In fact, I've been listening to "Zonkey" in my car the last day or so.  I'm not sure how to classify them.  Zonkey is an album of mashups, similar to dj mashups but played by the band, of music from the 70's to current day.  Some clever, some not so much.  It's a fun listen though. 

38 minutes ago, Aggie87 said:

In fact, I've been listening to "Zonkey" in my car the last day or so.  I'm not sure how to classify them.  Zonkey is an album of mashups, similar to dj mashups but played by the band, of music from the 70's to current day.  Some clever, some not so much.  It's a fun listen though. 

Whoa! I'll check it out, Agggggggggggggggggggggggg!

12 hours ago, BFrank said:

How does the bassist spell his last name?