Viva Prog Rock

Aggie87

checking out:

King Crimson

Keswick Theater

Glenside, Pennsylvania,USA

Monday, August 11th 2008

How does this lineup sound/mesh?

I listened to about half of it. I don't know...there's a lot of percussion! I have to listen to it again.

I'll try to give you an update here, later.

I heard this again today. It sounds amazing. I almost wish I was going to a show!

I hope this band records some new material soon...

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was listening more intently last night and I think most of the sound is Phil's kit (he was using an old-school Gretsch at the time, same as Art Blakey) and of course the way he plays it. But I'm still curious about how it was mic'd up. It sounds really natural and balanced.

I was getting lost in the sound of the keyboards. That's one of the high points for me of old Prog is the keys.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes is Pulling a "Journey"...

Rock band Yes to tour with replacement singer

WASHINGTON (AP) - The classic rock band Yes, which was forced to cancel their 40th anniversary tour this year due to the illness of its lead singer, has decided to relaunch the tour with an "understudy" - a Yes tribute band singer.

Benoit David, who sings in several Yes tribute bands in Montreal, will replace Jon Anderson on the "In the Present" tour, which kicks of Nov. 4 in Ontario, Canada, according to bassist Chris Squire.

"I think it's all going to work out fine," Squire told The Associated Press on Wednesday. "Of course, realistically, there's an element of risk, but there always is."

Yes, which consists of Squire, Anderson, guitarist Steve Howe and drummer Alan White, scrapped their anniversary tour in June after Anderson suffered acute respiratory failure and was ordered by doctors to rest six months.

Squire found David on the Internet after a friend sent him a YouTube clip of David's tribute band, Close To The Edge. Squire liked what he saw and called David to offer an audition.

"The first thing he said to me was, 'Well, I'm looking around to see where the cameras are in case I'm being punked,'" Squire said.

Yes has taken a page from another classic rock group, Journey, who selected Arnel Pineda, a sound-a-like of old lead singer Steve Perry, to be their singer after the group discovered him singing Journey songs on YouTube. Pineda sang on the group's successful comeback album this year and has also been touring with them.

It's not the first time Yes has had a singer besides Anderson. Trevor Horn sang on the 1980 Yes album "Drama" when Anderson briefly left the band. Squire hopes to work songs from that album into the set for the upcoming tour, plus a few songs he said were not Anderson's favorites to perform live but the rest of the band likes.

<snip>

edit - PS, How many Yes tribute bands can Montreal support?? Apparently several! :rlol

Edited by Aggie87

• 2 weeks later...

April 1st would seem to be a little late this year:

Squire, Chris - Chris Squire's Swiss Choir

Album of Baroque Christmas Carols, featuring Chris on vocals and bass and Steve Hackett on guitar and the English Baroque Choir

Release Date: 13 Oct 2008

1 Adam Lay Y'Bounden

2 I Saw Three Ships

3 O Come O Come Emmanuel

4 Silent Night

5 Ding Dong Merrily On High

6 Three Kings

7 Sans Day Carol

8 Personent Hodie

9 Sussex Carol

10 Gaudete

11 In The Bleak Midwinter

12 Past Three O'Clock

13 Run With The Fox

(Lime distributed by Pinnacle)

Edited by Bev Stapleton

I never thought "Run with the Fox" was a Christmas song, unless they've completely changed the lyrics.

Run with the Fox

Now the season, Now the question

Time to breathe a moment's grace

For the Hunter and the Hunted

Taking time to break the pace

Are you hopeful? Are you haunted

By the ghost of Christmas Past?

Face the future undaunted

Step aside or take your chance

Run with the Fox

Into the wind

Unto the dawn of tomorrow

Run with the Fox

Into the wild

Into the wild in the fold

Beware of the rocks

And be prepared

Prepare for love comes and goes

Run with the Fox

Every year the revolution

One more lost before begun

While we fight our mass confusion

Thus we walk before we run

Run with the Fox

Into the wind

Onto the dawn of tomorrow

Run with the Fox

Into the wild

Into the wild in the cold

Beware of the rocks

And be prepared

Prepare, for love finally grows

Ahh... Ahh... Ahhh....

Let us live to tell a story

Here on Earth and out in Space

Foreward on the road to glory

History records the chase

Have yourselves that certain Christmas

Eat, be glad, and drink the wine

Leave your sadness by the river

Giving love and given time.

Ahh... Ahhh...

Across the ice of frozen lakes

Run with the Fox

Along the lanes a lover takes

Run with the Fox

Beneath a moon, a Christmas moon

Run with the Fox

And sing a tune, a dreamer's tune

Run with the Fox

Across the bridge of many ways

Run with the Fox

Onto the place where dreamers bathe

Run with the Fox

Beneath a moon, a Christmas moon

Run with the Fox

Anybody here ever listen to Voivod? One of the few bands that took the King Crimson/early Pink Floyd thing and did some quite interesting things with it. Their first few albums weren't progressive, but all their middle period work is quite fascinating. Unfortunately their guitarist (who wrote most of their music) passed away in 2005 from colon cancer.

The progressive period:

Dimension Hatross (1988)

Nothingface - (1989)

Angel Rat - (1991)

The Outer Limits - (1993)

d46446lljeu.jpgf54987e607k.jpg

d3763033m03.jpge499181rnrp.jpg

• 1 month later...

Can't believe I have never posted on this thread before, but there's always a first time!

I was a big prog rock fan between 1977-1984. Recently, I sold off or gave away all my LPs before I left the States in 1984, and have only now begun to buy back some of my favorite prog rock stuff on cd format. I'm still missing tons of the old stuff, but here are my current favorites. Some of the bands might not be considered prog, but they've got prog elements:

Camel

Rain Dance

(used to have Snow Goose in the old days but don't care as much for that one.)

I heard Camel again this week for the first time since the '70s:

Camel - Moon Madness

Camel - Snow Goose

Camel - Rain Dances

Camel - A Live Record

I had totally forgotten what these guys sound like and I really like what I heard. :tup

Anybody here ever listen to Voivod?

Yeah, I'm listening to them at work right now. I really like the recordings Katorz, Voivod, Dimension Hatröss (with its cover of Hefti's Batman theme) and Nothingface (with the cover of Astronomy Domine).

Just can't imagine the band continuing without Piggy. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting - according to an interview with Chris Squire on his website, he wants to record a new Yes album next year, with the two replacement players who are currently touring with Squire, Howe, & White - Oliver Wakeman and Benoit David.

RS: Are there any plans to record a new album with this current line-up?

Chris: Yes. Absolutely. We’re looking at doing some new recording. And obviously we’ll be working with the guys on that. Although there are no definite plans or dates yet, because obviously we’re working on this tour. But, we’ll be introducing new ideas. I know Steve Howe has new ideas and I know I have, as I mentioned earlier, have written quite a lot of material when I was in London that I want to use for that purpose.

I wonder if this is the end of Anderson's tenure in Yes. Rick Wakeman's come and gone so much I don't think he'd be as difficult to replace, though reviews of the current tour make it sound as if Oliver W. isn't quite as impressive as some of the other Yes keyboard players in the past.

Interesting - according to an interview with Chris Squire on his website, he wants to record a new Yes album next year, with the two replacement players who are currently touring with Squire, Howe, & White - Oliver Wakeman and Benoit David.

RS: Are there any plans to record a new album with this current line-up?

Chris: Yes. Absolutely. We’re looking at doing some new recording. And obviously we’ll be working with the guys on that. Although there are no definite plans or dates yet, because obviously we’re working on this tour. But, we’ll be introducing new ideas. I know Steve Howe has new ideas and I know I have, as I mentioned earlier, have written quite a lot of material when I was in London that I want to use for that purpose.

I wonder if this is the end of Anderson's tenure in Yes. Rick Wakeman's come and gone so much I don't think he'd be as difficult to replace, though reviews of the current tour make it sound as if Oliver W. isn't quite as impressive as some of the other Yes keyboard players in the past.

That's some interesting news, I hope the new material is too. Maybe this will be a kick in the ass for the rhythm section.

• 3 weeks later...

Brits of a certain vintage should tune into BBC4 over the next week for a number of programmes on 'prog'. Some are things I'm sure I've seen before but at 10.00 pm tonight there's a new 'Prog-rock Britannia' programme with repeats next week.

Get the cheese cloth shirts and loons out!

Brits of a certain vintage should tune into BBC4 over the next week for a number of programmes on 'prog'. Some are things I'm sure I've seen before but at 10.00 pm tonight there's a new 'Prog-rock Britannia' programme with repeats next week.

Get the cheese cloth shirts and loons out!

The Financial Times had an article plugging this special in today's edition.

Guy

I caught both shows on this last night - the 'Prog Rock Britannia' and 'Prog at the Beeb'.

The latter had a nice clip by Soft Machine with a lineup that looked like it included drummer John Marshall and Karl Jenkins on baritone/oboe.

Some nice King Crimson too.

Plus 'Wishbone Ash Plays Brother Jack McDuff'

And some cringe-worthy bits from ELP, Genesis etc. Check out Carl Palmer's 2 ton (I think that's what they said), half-inch steel drums complete with mega-gongs and early drum synth (sounded like a space invaders machine). Only in the 70s... :w

Edited by sidewinder

Nice, balanced programme. Instead of repeating the usual received wisdom (pretentious, bombastic etc) it recognised the excitement, range and aspiration of the music that was retrospectively plonked under the 'prog' label. At the same time it pointed out one of its central flaws...girls didn't like it! And how the energy that had once gone on making music outside the norm had, by the mid-Seventies been squandered on stage sets and the sort of megalomania ELP seemed to indulge in.

Having lived through that era, cut my musical teeth there, I always find it sad that lazy journalism focuses in on the bloated '75 era and the emerging stadium type shows. Most of us heard this on record without visuals (beyond the record covers) or in bare student union halls where the 'show' part was minimal. The appeal of a a band like Genesis might escape listeners today who just see the daft costumes and the synth-drenched mega-group they became; but around 72-3 they were a breath of fresh air in a musical world where music beyond the charts was generally leaden blues-rock. Instead you got rippling 12-string guitars, flutes and oboes and a slightly twisted Englishness. I can still recall being horrified when I bought my NME in late '72 to see a picture of Peter Gabriel dressed as a flower. Surely it was all about the music, man!

The hour of BBC clips before made me chuckle. Two things stood out:

a) How the marionette dancers of Top of the Pops (did they ever smile?) carried on regardless, even though the Jethro Tull and Atomic Rooster records were quite undanceable!

b) The leering antics of Ian Anderson....then cut forward to the end of the documentary to Johnny Rotten doing somethng very similar.

a) How the marionette dancers of Top of the Pops (did they ever smile?) carried on regardless, even though the Jethro Tull and Atomic Rooster records were quite undanceable!

Ha ! The 'dancing' on that Atomic Rooster clip was pretty funny. Some nice ladies in hot pants tho.. :excited: (they will be grannies by now)

TOTP used to have some unlikely acts performing there. Pigbag and Rip, Rig and Panic Come To Mind. Not to forget either Robert Wyatt doing 'Shipbuilding'. How did they dance to that?

Edited by sidewinder

b) The leering antics of Ian Anderson....then cut forward to the end of the documentary to Johnny Rotten doing somethng very similar.

That was one of the funniest bits - when he admitted that their concept album ('Trick of the Tail'? - I'm not into Tull) was a p-take with its 40-odd minute single track and intended as a sort of 'Spinal Tap'.

The clip of Anderson in action 'gurning' was pretty hilarious !

Memo to self - get hold of some King Crimson LPs..

b) The leering antics of Ian Anderson....then cut forward to the end of the documentary to Johnny Rotten doing something very similar.

That was one of the funniest bits - when he admitted that their concept album ('Trick of the Tail'? - I'm not into Tull) was a p-take with its 40-odd minute single track and intended as a sort of 'Spinal Tap'.

I think he was reinterpreting the past to suit himself there (The album was 'Thick as a Brick').

I was never much of a Tull listener, but I did have 'Thick as a Brick'. They followed it with something called 'A Passion Play' (I think) which got absolutely slaughtered by the critics. I think it was where the reaction against that sort of music really started...Summer '73 if I recall correctly (a good three years before punk exploded). A few months later they went for Yes' 'Tales of Topographic Oceans' in the same way, an album which is still wafted as the prime evidence to condemn prog-rock (it's actually a very good record, probably the last decent one they made!).

So I find his arguments a bit disingenuous - Jethro Tull were huge c.1972-3 and just as prone to giganticism as many of the others.

Tred carefully with King Crimson - they are most definitely a rock group. And their records are so diverse (expect near heavy metal chording, whimsical pastoralism and abstract improv...but not always on the same record!) - the first one would probably sound hopelessly bombastic to a listener today; the 80s band has more in common with Talking Heads. They are probably the band of that era I return to most frequently - there's a long thread about them elsewhere.

Edit: Re: Jethro Tull, this is interesting:

NME item from 1973

As for Jethro Tull being above pretension:

NME Concert Review

Edited by Bev Stapleton