Viva Prog Rock

Aggie87

I wonder what tossing Squire from Yes was all about. What was wrong???

Doesn't Squire own the rights to the name Yes? I thought that was the reason for "Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman & Howe".

From Wiki, so take it for what it's worth:

"Although conceived by Anderson as being a Yes re-union, others in the band were keen to distance themselves from the "Yes" name. At the time, the name for the band "Yes" was co-owned by Anderson, Alan White and Chris Squire, and Squire and White were still continuing with Yes along with Trevor Rabin and Tony Kaye; for these reasons, it was not possible for ABWH to use the "Yes" name anyway. Anticipating this problem, Jon Anderson suggested they call themselves "The Affirmative," but the other band members felt that was disingenuous. The name "No" was also suggested, but in the end, they decided to simply name themselves after the members of the band, in the vein of Emerson Lake and Palmer, despite the criticism that it made them sound like an accounting or legal firm.

When Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe toured, they titled their shows "An Evening Of Yes Music Plus", a name that was also used for their subsequent live album. ABWH were sued by Yes in an attempt to prevent any mention of Yes in the ABWH promotional material. This seems to stem from an agreement before the release of Yes's 90125 album between Yes (then including Anderson too), Howe and Wakeman over the use of the Yes name in the promotion of other activities."

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been listening to The Yes Album lately. Amazon had a $1.99 DL special on it, so I thought it would be nice to hear it again after about 30 years. Still sounds good. I would say that album, "Fragile" and "Close to the Edge" were their peak sessions.

I'd...controversially!...throw in 'Tales from Topographic Oceans'. I really like the first two albums too - hard to recall that at the time Yes were an 'underground' band with an unsual sensibility for pop tunefulness. What attracted me to them was their way with a nice melody and gorgeous key changes; listening to some Motown at the weekend I suspect it may have stemmed from there (and their unfashionable love of American musicals!).

'Magnification' from a few years back is good on memorable melodies too. Don't much care for what happened in between.

I'd go for Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot - pre-synthesisers with lots of twelve string in evidence. Both have a Lewis Carroll/Edward Lear type feel in the story-songs (I think their public school English and Classics lessons were being mined). Very strong melodies and the wide palette of sounds that I always enjoy.

'Selling England' disappointed me at the time - the noodling synth and one long track that doesn't really go very far ('The Battle of Epping Forest'). But I've come round to it over the years.

'The Lamb' is wonderful but not typical - still has the great, melodious songwriting but it's much edgier; the recorded sound itself is harsher. More New York than Charterhouse gardens!

I'd start with Nursery Cryme & Foxtrot I think, as well, and if you like those check out Selling England and The Lamb.

Also, all of the Gabriel era recordings (with the exception of "From Genesis to Revelation") are coming out as two disc cd/dvda sets shortly I believe. They've already been released as part of the Genesis 1970-1975 box set, but as they did with the later eras, will release the boxes and then follow up with the individual albums.

• 1 month later...

Should be an interesting book. I always enjoyed his bands and drumming. The first Bruford group was my personal favorite "fusion" band.

In other news, I see Yes canceled the rest of their tour with the replacement singer. It seems that Squire had a mysterious operation on his leg.

In other news, I see Yes canceled the rest of their tour with the replacement singer. It seems that Squire had a mysterious operation on his leg.

I saw that too. Without Squire, it would have been down to Howe & White on the tour who were actual Yes members.

I wonder if Yes (w/Anderson & RW) have one last album in them. If not, Magnification is probably as good we could possibly hoped for this late in the game.

New Steven Wilson solo album "Insurgentes" now on eMusic

(Aggggggggggggggggggggg!)

:tup

It's a good one, Buzz - I've had it since November (well, the limited edition version anyway).

Guests include Gavin Harrison, Theo Travis, Jordan Rudess, and Tony Levin.

Good to know!

I was listening to Warszawa today - good live album! Better than Coma Divine, I think.

Suggestions needed:

Genesis

What's the best place to start with the Peter Gabriel era? I've actually never owned a single Genesis album.

I'd strongly recommend Selling England by the Pound, which stands as their greatest album, imo. Foxtrot would come in second. Nursery Cryme is a bit weaker.

Peter Gabriel era Genesis... where to start... hmmmm.

They only made 7 albums with him, you know. :) I was just listening to "Wind & Wuthering" and "And Then There Were Three..." yesterday. Great fucking records and sans Peter (and the latter sans Hackett). I love Gabriel, though.

"Selling England By The Pound" is probably a good start or "Foxtrot". I really like "Trespass" just because it's so pastoral and you can hear them finding their way. I like "Nursery Crime" too because it's really dark and atmospheric. The thing I really love about Genesis is that each album is quite different from the last, though there are little strands connecting them together.

Speaking of "And Then There Were Three...", the fade-out on "Say It's All Right, Joe" seemed like something that might be on "Selling England By The Pound" for a bit.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You guys ever hear of Maserati? I saw them at SXSW last week and they were pretty amazing - with a relentless drummer. They're an all instro band from Athens, GA and very proggy. Here's a good vid of them:

I got their latest album from emusic and really enjoy it, thanks for the recommendation!!!

f80660a4zay.jpg

Opeth - Damnation

Heard this album for the first time last night and was quite impressed. It was produced by Steve Wilson from Porcupine Tree (who also plays mellotron on it). Very melodic and expertly crafted (no death metal vocals on this album, in fact there's almost no distortion used at all on the guitars).

emusic has it but it's missing a track.

If you haven't already you must hear Opeth's other album with Steve Wilson, Blackwater Park. I'ts thoroughly excellent, a great prog-metal album. I did have the pleasure of bumping into his solo album, which of course is on a completely different style, I'll definitely be buying the CD when I get around to it, hopefully the special edition, I like the tracks on disc2 very much.

Another one of his projects I've gotten into late it Blackfield, not really prog but has a great feel to it and I'll be listening to that for years to come, haven't digested the first album long enough to delve into the second, but I'm looking forward to purchasing both.

f80660a4zay.jpg

Opeth - Damnation

Heard this album for the first time last night and was quite impressed. It was produced by Steve Wilson from Porcupine Tree (who also plays mellotron on it). Very melodic and expertly crafted (no death metal vocals on this album, in fact there's almost no distortion used at all on the guitars).

emusic has it but it's missing a track.

Fantastic album, Shawn! It's got a companion album titled "Deliverance", which is heavier and more typical of Opeth's sound. Steven Wilson produced both of these, along with Blackwater Park, as Use3D mentions.

Ghost Reveries and Watershed are also both well worth checking out, if you like this sort of music.

I did have the pleasure of bumping into his solo album, which of course is on a completely different style, I'll definitely be buying the CD when I get around to it, hopefully the special edition, I like the tracks on disc2 very much.

Another one of his projects I've gotten into late it Blackfield, not really prog but has a great feel to it and I'll be listening to that for years to come, haven't digested the first album long enough to delve into the second, but I'm looking forward to purchasing both.

If you're referring to Steven Wilson's "Insurgentes", it's very good. Stylistically it covers alot of ground, but touches on all the aspects of music that he likes and plays in his various bands (Porcupine Tree, No-Man, Blackfield, Bass Communion, IEM). The Special Edition (with the extra tracks on Disc 2) is sold out though, and was never available at retail - only through SW's website. There is a 2 disc version that's available through stores, but it's got the normal album on Disc 1 and a DVD-A of the same material (plus a video documentary thing) on disc 2.

edit - I think there is a Japanese release of Insurgentes that may have the bonus tracks actually, if you're willing to pay bigger bucks.

Edited by Aggie87