Viva Prog Rock

Aggie87

I posted this elsewhere, but I think many fans of prog might enjoy this new collaboration between Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree) and Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth). It surely doesn't sound like anything else currently out there.

That's so many kinds of weird, I don't even know where to start. You're certainly right about the sound being unique. And the video. Wow. It reminded me at times of a movie soundtrack. At others, I expected that an appearance by Salad Fingers was imminent. To say this is interesting would be something of an understatement.

The album benefits from being listened to all the way through. Each song has a very distinctive character yet they fit so nicely together as an actual "album" that it works like an extended 47 minute piece of music. I've been playing this album obsessively this week and it just keeps getting better with each successive listen.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been listening to a couple albums by Peter Banks' "Flash" and it's good stuff! Fans of the first couple Yes albums should really enjoy these. You can kind of tell he was flipping the proverbial bird to his former band on these records.

51GJRCRfAyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51IcvypXldL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The only Hawkwind albums I'm familiar with are the ones with Lemmy Kilmister; Doremi Fasol Latido (1972), Hall Of The Mountain Grill (1974) and Warrior On The Edge Of Time (1975). There is also the live album Space Ritual (1973).

Of those three albums "Hall Of The Mountain Grill" is the strongest (imho). It's interesting to note that Lemmy took a few of his songs with him and re-recorded them with Motorhead. "The Watcher" , "Lost Johnny" and the song "Motorhead".

Edited by Shawn

The only Hawkwind albums I'm familiar with are the ones with Lemmy Kilmister; Doremi Fasol Latido (1972), Hall Of The Mountain Grill (1974) and Warrior On The Edge Of Time (1975). There is also the live album Space Ritual (1973).

Of those three albums "Hall Of The Mountain Grill" is the strongest (imho). It's interesting to note that Lemmy took a few of his songs with him and re-recorded them with Motorhead. "The Watcher" , "Lost Johnny" and the song "Motorhead".

Only one I can recommend is Space Ritual, all their other albums, I'm shrug[1].gif

GOT to be Space Ritual. Not that I know it, but I know OF it.

I vaguely remember seeing them in '74. I was working at the college radio station in Santa Barbara and for some reason we got tickets to see them in Santa Monica. Not only were the tickets free, but they supplied a free bus ride to the show (about 100 miles away). The whole experience was surreal ... and I wasn't tripping - REALLY!

• 3 months later...

I recommend people check out Beardfish. Excellent "retro-prog" band from Sweden that captures the sound of the early 70s bands without forsaking more modern influences in arrangement/composition. They have released 7 excellent albums so far and continue to improve/expand their sound.

Here's an instrumental from their latest album "The Void".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej1DmJTbXK8

I hear

I recommend people check out Beardfish. Excellent "retro-prog" band from Sweden that captures the sound of the early 70s bands without forsaking more modern influences in arrangement/composition. They have released 7 excellent albums so far and continue to improve/expand their sound.

Here's an instrumental from their latest album "The Void".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej1DmJTbXK8[/media]

I hear strains of Focus in there, too. Must be a Scandinavian thing. :cool:

Thanks for the heads-up!

• 2 months later...

Video clip from the Producers, a group comprised of Trevor Horn & Lol Creme and others. Medley of Yes' Fly From Here Part II, Soon, and Owner of a Lonely Heart.

Horn obviously had a hand in both Fly from Here (originally Buggles work that is on their 2nd album) and Owner (as producer), but Soon was before his time with the band.

• 2 months later...

"I don't believe it!"

I liked this bit.

One night the former Genesis guitarist Steve Hackett was woken by the sound of his TV falling off its arm and crashing to the floor. Jokes followed about stars in their 60s now being too old to trash their hotel rooms.

Any sign of the Euro Free Improv cruise yet?

Edited by A Lark Ascending

• 2 months later...

Interesting - SW is doing a 5.1 remix of Close to the Edge!

from Neil Wilkes (Opus Productions):

I have just been told it is okay to tell you all about this at long last - so here goes.

Featuring brand-new stereo & 5.1 mixes by Steven Wilson as well as some additional bonus material and the original stereo mix in glorious high resolution, "Close to the Edge" will be released in October this year. I cannot say too much more at this point in time, but will update this thread as & when I am able to do so.
This has been a very long time in the making, but well worth the wait - the new mixes sound absolutely glorious!

Edited by Aggie87

I have just been told it is okay to tell you all about this at long last - so here goes.

Featuring brand-new stereo & 5.1 mixes by Steven Wilson as well as some additional bonus material and the original stereo mix in glorious high resolution, "Close to the Edge" will be released in October this year. I cannot say too much more at this point in time, but will update this thread as & when I am able to do so.

This has been a very long time in the making, but well worth the wait - the new mixes sound absolutely glorious!

Sounds promising.

This may be the reason to finally set up the 5.1 hardware someone gave me a few years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone listen to Tempest - early 70's Jon Hiseman band? The first album (S/T) featured Allan Holdsworth; second album (Living in Fear), Ollie Halsall.

Mark Clarke is also in the band, so it's definitely got a Colosseum sound to it, too. The first album I've listened to for years and years, but I just recently found "Living in Fear" on eMusic and like it a LOT.

Check 'em out, prog-heads!

MI0002101871.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

MI0001792430.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

• 3 months later...

Very cool, Jim!

Here's my next Prog new release suggestion for members of the board. "The Mountain" by UK band Haken is easily one of my favorite records of 2013. These guys are the real deal.

Check out the madrigal vocal arrangement ala Gentle Giant on this tune...they have found the right balance of homages to the prog rock past while still sounding like themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_e4YX73Ww4

The video is hilarious as well!

One of my favorite albums so far this year is the new one from Polish prog-rock band "Riverside", this is from their latest album "The Shrine Of New Generation Slaves".

Been listening to that one the last few days, on your recommendation. Awesome!

Thanks, Shawn. :rhappy:

This is a cool thread. Rock on!

post-433-0-81078100-1382740663_thumb.jpg

One of my favorite albums so far this year is the new one from Polish prog-rock band "Riverside", this is from their latest album "The Shrine Of New Generation Slaves".

Been listening to that one the last few days, on your recommendation. Awesome!

Thanks, Shawn. :rhappy:

This is a cool thread. Rock on!

attachicon.gifrockonjim.jpg

Cool! Glad you liked it. I would also recommend checking out the new Haken album "The Mountain".

• 2 months later...

According to a BBC blather page:

Fidel Castro is a fan of the progressive rock band Yes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-25684040

And according to the interview with Rick Wakeman I assume this came from:

Is Fidel Castro really a fan?
Yeah! I've spent a few hours with him down in Cuba. Castro himself sent me a letter asking me to play a gig there. He's a fascinating man. And it was a real honour playing for him.

I'd have thought he's have been a Pink Floyd fan. All those pigs must bring back memories.