Viva Prog Rock

Aggie87

Guest akanalog

anyone hear this german band novalis? i heard their album "sommerabend" or something like that, but man! it is awesome. i think it is from 1977 and the 18 minute title track is great. nice themes moving into each other and some powerful majestic prog. much better than the pulsar album i was touting a few days ago, which was also cool.

also what's the big deal with nektar? i just heard their album "recycled" and it seemed pretty cheesy to me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Inspired by the Crimson chat in the guitar thread, I finally buckled down and ordered the KC "ElektriK" CD from the DGM website. Really looking forward to this - I spun Power to Believe again the other day, and still love it...

I also ordered an autographed copy of "B'Boom", which is a live recording of the 6 man lineup from 1994. I'm very curious as to which autographs are actually on this disc, given Fripp's aversion to signing, and the fact that Bruford is no longer in the band (nor is Gunn now), and Levin is back in.

This is my first order from DGM, are they pretty quick to ship?

I find DGM to be one of the best online shops. I order every Crimson disc through them, because they have good prices and they do ship quickly. I've ordered on a Sunday and had the disc by Wednesday before. Excellent customer service too.

If you liked the Power to Believe, you will definitely like Elektrik. I think, as usual wtih Crimson, the live versions are better than the studio versions- that version of Power Circle is outstanding. And Lark's IV and Level Five are pretty impressive too. The B'boom disc is one of my favorites. Very raw (for Crimson) performances, and with very good sound. That period of Crimson is one of my favorites, and that disc is second only to the live in Mexico show (half of the double disc VROOOM VROOOM) for me.

Thanks Greg. Already got an email from DGM stating my order would ship today. :tup

And also, as mentioned earlier in this thread by take5, Porcupine Tree's new release, "Deadwing", is due out on 28 March in Europe, and 19 April in the U.S. Mikael Akerfeldt and Adrian Belew both guest, and at least the promo copies (and apparently the U.S. version) have a hidden track, which is a re-recording of "Shesmovedon" from Lightbulb Sun. Can't wait for this one!!

Received my DGM package today. The autographs, sort of to my surprise, are from all 6 members who played on B'Boom. They aren't on the cd booklet or the back insert, but on a card that was inserted in the package. Either way it's cool, though I would have preferred them to be on the front of the booklet. Fripp's autograph (above Gunn's) is probably the least distinctive (and not as nice as 7/4's, but at least I can say I have it now. :P

Received my DGM package today. The autographs, sort of to my surprise, are from all 6 members who played on B'Boom. They aren't on the cd booklet or the back insert, but on a card that was inserted in the package. Either way it's cool, though I would have preferred them to be on the front of the booklet. Fripp's autograph (above Gunn's) is probably the least distinctive (and not as nice as 7/4's, but at least I can say I have it now. :P

Nice!

I have some others I can scan later this week. ^_^

• 2 months later...

And also, as mentioned earlier in this thread by take5, Porcupine Tree's new release, "Deadwing", is due out on 28 March in Europe, and 19 April in the U.S.  Mikael Akerfeldt and Adrian Belew both guest, and at least the promo copies (and apparently the U.S. version) have a hidden track, which is a re-recording of "Shesmovedon" from Lightbulb Sun.  Can't wait for this one!!

I'm REALLY enjoying this disc! Anyone interested in modern, intelligent, well-made rock would do well to check this one out. I don't know that they're really prog anymore (or if they really ever have been?), but definitely make music that someone open to progressive rock would enjoy. Also due out very soon on the PT front are two other items - a re-release of "Up the Downstairs", with newly recorded drum tracks replacing the original drum machine, and a second disc comprising the rare "Staircase Infinities" EP. And they are also releasing "XM2", a limited edition CD of live-in-studio recordings.

Porcupine Tree's previous disc, "In Absentia", is available at yourmusic.com. Also just noted at yourmusic is one of Steven Wilson's (many) sideprojects, Blackfield, which is a collaboration with Israeli musician Aviv Geffen. Blackfield opened up for PTree in 2003 in Germany, and I was impressed with their music as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Pink Floyd reuniting for Live 8

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Four members of seminal British rock band Pink Floyd will play together for the first time in 24 years at London's Live 8 charity concert for Africa on July 2, publicists for the event said on Sunday.

Guitarist David Gilmour, drummer Nick Mason and keyboard player Richard Wright will be on stage with bassist Roger Waters for their first public performance since they played at London's Earls Court in 1981.

The rock legends will join a star-studded line-up including Coldplay, Elton John and Paul McCartney at the Live 8 concert in Hyde Park, organized by activist rocker Bob Geldof to pressure rich nations to ease African poverty.

"Like most people I want to do everything I can to persuade the G8 leaders to make huge commitments to the relief of poverty and increased aid to the third world," said Gilmour.

"Any squabbles Roger and the band have had in the past are so petty in this context, and if reforming for this concert will help focus attention then it's got to be worthwhile."

The band released their first album "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" in 1967 and broke records with 1973's "The Dark Side Of The Moon", which remained in the American album charts for more than a decade.

In the 1980s relations between Waters and the rest of the group soured, with Waters suing over the rights to the Pink Floyd name.

Gilmore, Mason and Wright continued to record and tour as Pink Floyd, releasing their last studio album "The Division Bell" in 1994.

Pink Floyd reuniting for Live 8

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Four members of seminal British rock band Pink Floyd will play together for the first time in 24 years at London's Live 8 charity concert for Africa on July 2, publicists for the event said on Sunday.

Guitarist David Gilmour, drummer Nick Mason and keyboard player Richard Wright will be on stage with bassist Roger Waters for their first public performance since they played at London's Earls Court in 1981.

hell freezes over.

• 2 weeks later...

Cool poster from the Porcupine Tree/Robert Fripp show at the Fillmore:

82_1_b.JPG

Also, some nice words (!) from Fripp regarding PT, from his online diary:

"Porcupine Tree were superb & received a standing ovation. This is a band that could well move into the mainstream with its musicality + edge. I am enjoying being on their bill: our pairing has synergy & PT audiences have been most supportive of Soundscapes."

I'm still giving PT's "Deadwing" alot of spins, and their back catalog as well. One of those bands that I can hear new things in their recordings with each listen. :tup

• 3 weeks later...

I might check this out.

Dates are now available on  the Tour page for The More Drama Tour, which features Alan White's band White (with Geoff Downes on keyboards), Chris Squire with the Syn, and Steve Howe solo acoustic/electric. The performances will end with a "Drama-tic" encore with the four Yes members (who recorded the album Drama).

The band rocked but the singer just wasn't Jon Anderson. :lol:

Definitely not Anderson. But he could sing "Video Killed the Radio Star" with the best of them! That looks like it might be a fun nostalgia type show. I still enjoy the Drama album quite a bit.

And Wakeman claims he'll no longer be touring after this year, I believe. So it's entirely possible that Geoff Downes could end up being the Yes keyboardist again. :wacko:

Due out in August is a three CD set from Yes, titled "The Word is Live" - cover art:

wordislive.jpg

Disc 1

1. Then - BBC 1970

2. For Everyone - BBC 1970

3. Astral Traveller - Gothenburg 1971

4. Everydays - Gothenburg 1971

5. Yours Is No Disgrace - London 1971

6. I've Seen All Good People - London 1971

7. America - London 1971

8. It's Love - London 1971

Disc 2

1. Apocalypse - Detroit 1976

2. Siberian Khatru - Detroit 1976

3. Sound Chaser - Detroit 1976

4. Sweet Dreams - London 1975

5. Future Times/Rejoice - Oakland 1978

6. Circus of Heaven - Oakland 1978

7. The Big Medley - Inglewood 1978

a) Time And A Word

b) Long Distance Runaround

c) Survival

d) The Fish (Schindleria Praematurus)

e) Perpetual Change

f) Soon

8. Hello Chicago - Chicago 1979

9. Roundabout - Chicago 1979

Disc 3

1. Heart Of The Sunrise - Oakland 1978

2. Awaken - Chicago 1979

3. Go Through This - New York 1980

4. We Can Fly From Here - New York 1980

5. Tempus Fugit - New York 1980

6. Rhythm Of Love - Houston 1988

7. Hold On - Houston 1988

8. Shoot High, Aim Low - Houston 1988

9. Make It Easy/Owner Of A Lonely Heart - Houston 1988

All Selections previously unissued except Disc 1, tracks 1 & 2

Some interesting stuff on this box, though it might have been nice if they has decided to make this a 4 disc set and include some stuff from the post-Big Generator era. Union/ABWH, Talk, Keys, Ladder, Magnification, etc.

Edited by Aggie87

I would have been happier if they stopped at 1980, but thank God they didn't include Trevor Horn singing any classic stuff - he was horrible on that. I do think it's a little curious not to have anything from 1984.

If I recall correctly, by 1971 "America" wasn't as good as it was in 1970. Somewhere I have a version that is over 20 minutes and is amazing with all kinds of tempo changes.

Mike

• 2 months later...

Heads up:

P1719.jpg

On 5 December 2005, Pink Floyd will release their much anticipated DVD, PULSE, on EMI Records. This landmark release captures the last ever Pink Floyd tour in 1994, and was filmed at London's Earls Court, on one of the recordbreaking 14 nights there. The two disc release contains a full concert performance from Pink Floyd's 80 date global Division Bell tour, with rare backstage footage and previously unseen extras.

Pink Floyd are a band whose innovative and groundbreaking music is matched by the startling imagery created by longtime design collaborator, Storm Thorgerson. The Pulse DVD looks as good as it sounds, mixed in mind expanding 5.1 surround sound and digitally remastered by James Guthrie, it includes a magical collection of exclusive extras, new artwork and menu graphics designed by Thorgerson.

The concert is in two parts, the first half sees seminal performances by David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Richard Wright of tracks such as Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2), One of These Days and Keep Talking, while disc two features the classic album The Dark Side of the Moon performed in its entirety.

Never before seen rarities include Bootlegging the Bootleggers, behind the scenes footage showing a snapshot of life on the road with one of the world's biggest rock bands and a screen film of Speak to Me.

The Pulse DVD captures Pink Floyd's final concert tour, although no-one knew it to be at the time. It was the last concert they played together live, and their show-stopping appearance at this year's Live 8, confirmed their legendary status.

PULSE PRODUCT DETAILS

Title Pulse

Release Date 5 December 2005

Running Time Over 3 hours

Technical Details Speaker ID, Pink Noise inc 'Audio Setup' Dolby Digital 5.1 448 kbps, Dolby Digital 5.1 640 kbps. Stereo

Tracklisting Disc 1

Concert Part 1:

- Shine On

- Learning To Fly

- High Hopes

- Take It Back

- Coming Back To Life

- Sorrow

- Keep Talking

- Another Brick In The Wall Pt 2

- One of These Days

Screen Films:

- Shine On

- High Hopes

- Learning to Fly

Bootlegging the Bootleggers:

- What Do You Want From Me

- On The Turning Way

- Poles Apart

- Marooned

Shorts:

- Time (Eames)

- Money (Alien)

- Speak To Me 1987

- Pulse TV Advert

Videos:

- Learning To Fly

- Take It Back

Tracklisting Disc 2

Concert Part 2:

- Speak To Me

- Breathe

- On The Run

- Time

- The Great Gig In The Sky

- Money

- Us And Them

- Brain Damage

- Eclipse

- Wish You Were Here

- Comfortably Numb

- Run Like Hell

Screen Films:

- Speak To Me (graphic)

- On The Run

- Time 1994

- The Great Gig in the Sky (wave)

- Money

- Us And Them 1987

- Brain Damage

- Eclipse

Alternate Screen Films:

- The Great Gig In The Sky (animation)

- Us And Them 1994

Behind the Scenes Footage:

- Goodbye to Life As We Know It

Wish You Were Here:

- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony

Photo Gallery

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone familiar with the British neoprog group IQ? Quite derivative of Genesis (moreso than Marillion, who developed a more original style quickly), they capture the Wind & Wuthering sound quite well. I don't like their 80s albums that much, but I was listening to Ever (from the mid 90s) and it's a damn good album!

Guy

• 3 months later...

attn David Gilmour fans - his new album "On an Island" is due out on March 6th.

B000E6UK5K.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Musicians include Robert Wyatt, Caroline Dale, Guy Pratt, Alasdair Molloy, Richard Wright, David Crosby, and Graham Nash. Other contributors include Jools Holland, Phil Manzanera, Georgie Fame, Andy Newmark, B. J. Cole, Chris Stainton, Willie Wilson and Rado ‘Bob’ Klose on guitar.

Gilmour is also going out on the road, and the touring band lineup is Phil Manzanera, Richard Wright, Guy Pratt, Jon Carin, Dick Parry, and Steve DiStanislao. This sounds like it will be a really good show, with both Gilmour and Floyd tunes.

And finally, on March 28th, Legacy is reissuing Gilmour's other solo albums, "David Gilmour" and "About Face". Not sure what bonuses will be included yet.

edit - personally I can't decide whether I like the album cover, or if it looks too much like a John Tesh cd :P

Edited by Aggie87

• 3 weeks later...

There is a new remaster of Gentle Giant's "Acquiring the Taste" on Repertoir records in Germany - avialble through all the regular outlets. Apprently the sound is terrific. I am excited about this news - this is my favorite Gentle Giant (and prog-rock overall) disc.

This conicided with the Universal Japan reissue of "Acquiring the Taste" - this one, in turn, apparently does not sound good at all - and is twice more expenseve.

There is an interestign discussion on theses remasters at Steve Hoffman's forum with comments from remasterign engineer Eroc.

I am impatiently waiting for my copy to arrive!

B000BM3ZUE.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

For anyone interested, Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree apparently has a myspace webpage. I don't really care about any of the information on there, as it's not interesting, and apparently tongue-in-cheek for the most part.

But one thing that's nice is that he's put his cover of Alanis Morrissette's "Thank U" on there. It's a solo acoustic version, and I like this better than the original (which I think is Alanis' best song, and one of the few of hers that i actually like).

Check it out!

• 2 months later...

For anyone interested, I just recently heard that Porcupine Tree will be coming back for a VERY brief U.S. tour in the fall. This is apparently in support of their upcoming live DVD.

Opening act will be ProjeKct Six, which this time around is the duo of Robert Fripp and Adrian Belew.

0ct 5 Boston, MA at The Roxy

Oct 6 New York, NY at the Nokia Theatre

Oct 7 Philadelphia, PA at the Keswick Theatre

Oct 10 San Francisco, CA at The Fillmore

0ct 11 Anaheim , CA at The Grove

0ct 12 Los Angeles, CA at the House of Blues

For anyone interested, I just recently heard that Porcupine Tree will be coming back for a VERY brief U.S. tour in the fall. This is apparently in support of their upcoming live DVD.

Opening act will be ProjeKct Six, which this time around is the duo of Robert Fripp and Adrian Belew.

0ct 5 Boston, MA at The Roxy

Oct 6 New York, NY at the Nokia Theatre

Oct 7 Philadelphia, PA at the Keswick Theatre

Oct 10 San Francisco, CA at The Fillmore

0ct 11 Anaheim , CA at The Grove

0ct 12 Los Angeles, CA at the House of Blues

:( No Seattle show, :( Coma Divine is ny next cd by PT.