Viva Prog Rock

Aggie87

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I became a huge Genesis and King Crimson fan my senior year of high school. I was lucky enough to catch King Crimson in Detroit touring "Discipline," which was a wonderful show (Fripp was pratically grinning through most of the set). A later show in Ann Arbor was decidedly uncomfortable, in the Michigan Theater without air conditioning, and temps over a hundred degrees (Fripp was not smiling). I've remained a KC fan, but only listen to the Peter Gabriel or very early Collins Genesis records. (I love the live "Cinema Show" with both Bill Buford and Collins on drums).

Oddly, or maybe not, it was my obsession with Guided by Voices that brought prog back into my listening life.

Coma Divine is ny next cd by PT.

I haven't listened to CD in a long time, but I seem to recall that it didn't add too much to the studio versions of the same songs. It did add some unnecessary length to "Radioactive Toy" (or "Not Beautiful Anymore", don't remember).

Guy

pffffssssstt i dunno about that i like fripp and adrian but just the 2 of them and i bet they'll just go all avant on us. not that you could put any fault on adrian for that, but fripp probably mindf'd him into thinking he has to do some outrageous exploratory duo guitar improvisation. fripp has this strange control over his guys thats really weird

pffffssssstt i dunno about that i like fripp and adrian but just the 2 of them and i bet they'll just go all avant on us. not that you could put any fault on adrian for that, but fripp probably mindf'd him into thinking he has to do some outrageous exploratory duo guitar improvisation. fripp has this strange control over his guys thats really weird

Fripp's "strange control" is that he's a master writer, producer, arranger, guitarist & finder of extreme talent. I doubt seriously that Fripp puts any "restraints" on Belew...

Fripp's "strange control" is that he's a master writer, producer, arranger, guitarist & finder of extreme talent. I doubt seriously that Fripp puts any "restraints" on Belew...

well, other than strongly "encouraging" him to drop the acoustic version of his "I have a Dream" song from The ContruKction of Light album

For anyone interested, I just recently heard that Porcupine Tree will be coming back for a VERY brief U.S. tour in the fall. This is apparently in support of their upcoming live DVD.

Opening act will be ProjeKct Six, which this time around is the duo of Robert Fripp and Adrian Belew.

0ct 5 Boston, MA at The Roxy

Oct 6 New York, NY at the Nokia Theatre

Oct 7 Philadelphia, PA at the Keswick Theatre

Oct 10 San Francisco, CA at The Fillmore

0ct 11 Anaheim , CA at The Grove

0ct 12 Los Angeles, CA at the House of Blues

Awesome, thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I've been waiting for a release of the 3 disc Gentle Giant anthology "On Reflection". Seems that at least in the U.S., the release has been pushed back a few times, and there's no definitive word on when it's coming out.

However, I've noticed it's listed on Amazon UK, for £22.99, albeit with a 4-6 week dispatch lag.

Does anyone know if this was actually released in the U.K already? I like the tracklist, and this seems to be about the right amount of GG for me. I've had some of their albums and another compilation (Edge of Twilight) previously.

B000AMU0XK.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez reporting here: it was 30 yrs ago this month that The Gentle Giant did their biggest US tour, which was a across the usa summer jaunt inbetween sets from Gary Wright Band (4 keyboard players + a dummer), right on the release of "dreamweaver"& Peter Frampton right at the time of frampton comes alive, and headliners YES. the shows and jfk stadium in dc and roosevelt stadium in jersey had 300,000 fans each approx.

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone interested, I just recently heard that Porcupine Tree will be coming back for a VERY brief U.S. tour in the fall. This is apparently in support of their upcoming live DVD.

Opening act will be ProjeKct Six, which this time around is the duo of Robert Fripp and Adrian Belew.

Slight changes in the California shows (and the Boston location), per the PT website:

Oct 05 2006 BOSTON, USA: Berklee Performance Center

Oct 06 2006 NEW YORK, USA: Nokia Theater

Oct 07 2006 PHILADELPHIA, USA: Keswick Theater

Oct 08 2006 Washington, DC at the State Theatre in Falls Church, VA

Oct 11 2006 LOS ANGELES, USA: House of Blues

Oct 13 2006 SAN FRANCISCO, USA: Fillmore

Also, the opening act for the California dates is now the Tony Levin Band. NY, Boston & Philly still have ProjeKct 6, as far as I can tell.

And there are some September dates for Yurp, too:

Sep 13 2006 CAMBRIDGE, UK: The Junction

Sep 15 2006 PARIS, France: Elysée Montmartre

Sep 16 2006 ANTWERP, Belgium: Hof Ter Lo

Sep 18 2006 ROMA, Italy: Teatro Tendastrisce

Sep 19 2006 MILANO, Italy: Rolling Stone

Sep 21 2006 PRATTELN, Switzerland: Z7

Sep 22 2006 MÃœNCHEN, Germany: Muffathalle

Sep 23 2006 SAARBRÃœCKEN, Germany: Garage

Sep 25 2006 HAMBURG, Germany: Große Freiheit 36

Sep 26 2006 ESSEN, Germany: Weststadthalle

Sep 27 2006 AMSTERDAM, The Netherlands: Paradiso

Sep 29 2006 LONDON, UK: Astoria

Sep 30 2006 MANCHESTER, UK: Manchester University, Oxford Road

Oct 01 2006 GLASGOW, UK: Carling Academy

edited to add Oct 8 show in Washington DC (w/ProjeKct 6)

Edited by Aggie87

chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez reporting here: it was 30 yrs ago this month that The Gentle Giant did their biggest US tour, which was a across the usa summer jaunt inbetween sets from Gary Wright Band (4 keyboard players + a dummer), right on the release of "dreamweaver"& Peter Frampton right at the time of frampton comes alive, and headliners YES. the shows and jfk stadium in dc and roosevelt stadium in jersey had 300,000 fans each approx.

I was at that show in Philly and Gentle Giant was not there.

I'm a huge prog fan (of both the classic and the modern, often metallish variety),

so it's about time for me to contribute something to this thread. :)

Let me just tell you that the new Dream Theater DVD "Score" is going to blow you away.

It was filmed at their 20th Anniversary show in New York on April 1st this year (I was there

myself) and featured a 30 piece orchestra backing the band for the second set and the

encore (90 minutes). The first, band-only set goes for another 60 minutes, btw.

The tracks arranged for band and orchestra are mostly new stuff, starting with the

complete Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence suite (all 42 minutes of it) and ending with

the title track of last year's album Octavarium (25+ minutes). And the encore is worth

the price admission alone: The most kick-ass version of Metropolis imaginable. :excited:

Coming out on August 25th in Europe and 29th in the US. I got a promo DVD for review

purposes and watched it with a couple of friends who were both extremely impressed.

Porcupine Tree's concert DVD "Arriving Somewhere" is now available for pre-order from their website, for anyone interested. First 2000 preorders are numbered copies, with additional postcards that don't come with the retail edition apparently.

large482.jpg

DISC ONE

1. Revenant (3.04)

2. Open Car (4.46)

3. Blackest Eyes (4.41)

4. Lazarus (4.06)

5. Hatesong (9.14)

6. Don't Hate Me (8.38)

7. Mother and Child Divided (5.11)

8. Buying New Soul (7.17)

9. So Called Friend (4.55)

10. Arriving Somewhere but Not Here (12.57)

11. Heartattack in a Layby (4.07)

12. Start of Something Beautiful (7.19)

13. Halo (6.42)

14. Sound of Muzak (5.14)

15. Even Less (6.54)

16. Trains (7.18)

17. End Credits (special alternate mix of Mother and Child Divided) (2.05)

DISC TWO

1. Rockpalast TV: Futile (6.29)

2. Rockpalast TV: Radioactive Toy (6.45)

3. Lazarus - promo clip directed by Lasse Hoile

4. Start of Something Beautiful (live film directed by Przemyslaw Vshebor and Lasse Hoile )

5. Halo (live film directed by Lasse Hoile)

6. Mother and Child Divided (live film directed by Lasse Hoile)

7. Gavin Harrison - Cymbal Song film (in stereo and 5.1 audio)

8. Photo Gallery (with exclusive ambient music by RB+SW)

edit - I could quibble a bit with the track selection on Disc 1 (only four songs that are pre-In Absentia), but otherwise this looks like it could be really good!

Edited by Aggie87

• 1 month later...

Slight changes in the California shows (and the Boston location), per the PT website:

Also, the opening act for the California dates is now the Tony Levin Band. NY, Boston & Philly still have ProjeKct 6, as far as I can tell.

up - anybody here get to see any of these shows so far? PT are playing Los Angeles tomorrow night, and San Francisco on the 13th. From all accounts I've read, the shows have been quite good. About half the material has is stuff they're working on for their next studio cd, so it's new, but the feedback seems pretty positive.

I'm curious about the ProjeKct 6 stuff as well. Very ready for another Crimson studio recording.

up - anybody here get to see any of these shows so far? PT are playing Los Angeles tomorrow night, and San Francisco on the 13th. From all accounts I've read, the shows have been quite good. About half the material has is stuff they're working on for their next studio cd, so it's new, but the feedback seems pretty positive.

I'm curious about the ProjeKct 6 stuff as well. Very ready for another Crimson studio recording.

I went to the 10/6 show at the Nokia theater, and please keep in mind that I am not a big PT fan, and I'm only familiar with the 'In Absentia' disc.

Fripp & Belew(AKA Project Six) opened up, with Belew playing electronic drums that triggered bass riffs at different points in the pieces. Mostly Belew just kept a solid beat on the drums, with not a lot of flourishes or fills. This is in keeping with Fripp's concept of the drummer as timekeeper only, which led to many clashes with Bill Broford over the years. Anyway, Fripp played his usual- guitar run through stacks of effects, etc that at times sounded like a synthesizer, a guitar, etc. His playing was quite fluid and he seemed to be improvising quite a bit and soloing with great abandon. They played for about 30 minutes, with no tunes that came from KC or anything else I recognized. They were quite enjoyable, and Fripp seemed to be having a blast - he even smiled more than once!

Porcupine Tree played the first 40-45 minutes with exclusively new material, and some of it was verrrrry good, very hard rocking and featuring the usual odd time signatures, etc.that you find in prog rock. After a short break, they came back for a second set of previously recorded material. This definitely set the crowd on fire, and they dug into the material with great gusto. I didn't hear anything I was familiar with in the second set, but my 50-year old legs were shot by then from standing for such a long time and I had to sit outside for awhile. As I said, this was my first time seeing PT live, and they were very good.

WARNING!!! Bring earplugs(I was very glad I did), PT is louddddd!!

I went to the 10/6 show at the Nokia theater, and please keep in mind that I am not a big PT fan, and I'm only familiar with the 'In Absentia' disc.

Fripp & Belew(AKA Project Six) opened up, with Belew playing electronic drums that triggered bass riffs at different points in the pieces. Mostly Belew just kept a solid beat on the drums, with not a lot of flourishes or fills. This is in keeping with Fripp's concept of the drummer as timekeeper only, which led to many clashes with Bill Broford over the years. Anyway, Fripp played his usual- guitar run through stacks of effects, etc that at times sounded like a synthesizer, a guitar, etc. His playing was quite fluid and he seemed to be improvising quite a bit and soloing with great abandon. They played for about 30 minutes, with no tunes that came from KC or anything else I recognized. They were quite enjoyable, and Fripp seemed to be having a blast - he even smiled more than once!

Porcupine Tree played the first 40-45 minutes with exclusively new material, and some of it was verrrrry good, very hard rocking and featuring the usual odd time signatures, etc.that you find in prog rock. After a short break, they came back for a second set of previously recorded material. This definitely set the crowd on fire, and they dug into the material with great gusto. I didn't hear anything I was familiar with in the second set, but my 50-year old legs were shot by then from standing for such a long time and I had to sit outside for awhile. As I said, this was my first time seeing PT live, and they were very good.

WARNING!!! Bring earplugs(I was very glad I did), PT is louddddd!!

Thanks for the review Phil. it sounds like it was a very enjoyable show! Was the Fripp/Belew material heavy, or more soundscape-y? I'm trying to gauge whether this might be a direction for the next KC album, or just some experimenting.

The Porcupine Tree portion must have been something. 45 minutes of material nobody's ever heard before must have been interesting for the crowd. Here is what one person posted as the second half set list for that show:

Open Car

The Sound of Muzak

Buying New Soul

Arriving Somewhere But Not Here

The Start of Something Beautiful

Trains

Encore:

Halo

Blackest Eyes

And here's a photo from the NYC show:

PTNokiaTheater009.jpg

Oh, and if you like In Absentia, check out Deadwing, Phil. It can be had for $5.99 at yourmusic.

Edited by Aggie87

I can't wait to hear this ProjeKct 6 material. DGM live should have some of this up for download soon, hopefully. I'm expecting it be at least somewhat like ProjeKct 2, which also had Belew on V-drums, Fripp ripping on guitar, and Trey Gunn on touch guitar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm there and will be pre-order the minute they go up.

To coincide with the Genesis tour, EMI Records will be re-issuing 14 Genesis studio albums in three stages during 2007. All the releases will be SACD/DVD double disc sets featuring newly re-mastered 5.1 surround sound and stereo mixes. The release schedule is as follows:

March 2007: A Trick Of The Tail (1976), Wind & Wuthering (1977), …And Then There Were Three…(1978), Duke (1980) Abacab (1981)

June/July 2007: Genesis(1983), Invisible Touch(1986), We Can't Dance (1991), Calling All Stations(1997)

Late 2007/Early 2008: Trespass (1970), Nursery Cryme (1971), Foxtrot (1972 ), Selling England By The Pound (1973), The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway(1974)