Viva Prog Rock

Aggie87

I'm there and will be pre-order the minute they go up.

To coincide with the Genesis tour, EMI Records will be re-issuing 14 Genesis studio albums in three stages during 2007. All the releases will be SACD/DVD double disc sets featuring newly re-mastered 5.1 surround sound and stereo mixes. The release schedule is as follows:

March 2007: A Trick Of The Tail (1976), Wind & Wuthering (1977), …And Then There Were Three…(1978), Duke (1980) Abacab (1981)

June/July 2007: Genesis(1983), Invisible Touch(1986), We Can't Dance (1991), Calling All Stations(1997)

Late 2007/Early 2008: Trespass (1970), Nursery Cryme (1971), Foxtrot (1972 ), Selling England By The Pound (1973), The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway(1974)

The good new is that the first set is starting to ship. I was able to order the SACD box set off of HMV Japan for a cool $128.00, which is a steal compared to European and American prices. Heck, the sacds aren't even being released in the USA. Of course, people at the Steve Hoffman are already flinging around the usual insults. Compressed! Too loud! Nick Drake should be arrested and put in jail for the rest of his life!! (I made that one up ;) ). Should be interesting, I have a stupid weakness for Wind & Wuthering.

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does the SACD box include all 14 studio albums, or just the 5 March releases?

Just the five listed for the March release. Also has an extra cd with "rare" cuts on it. Most people want the first and last set, the middle one, *yawn*.

I agree with the *yawn*. :P

Although I have never heard Calling All Stations, and have wondered about it, since it didn't seem commercial like the ones before it.

I've been listening to the Genesis sacds today, and I'm very happy with the sound quality. Very nice and enjoyable. I had forgotten how good Genesis was after Gabriel left, high quality stuff that I had lost touch with over the years. A Trick Of The Tail & Wind & Wuthering being the standouts. Haven't looked at the DVDs yet, that'll come later. HMV Japan turned out to be very easy to deal with, and I saved money with them to boot.

I've been listening to the Genesis sacds today, and I'm very happy with the sound quality. Very nice and enjoyable. I had forgotten how good Genesis was after Gabriel left, high quality stuff that I had lost touch with over the years. A Trick Of The Tail & Wind & Wuthering being the standouts. Haven't looked at the DVDs yet, that'll come later. HMV Japan turned out to be very easy to deal with, and I saved money with them to boot.

I was just over at HMV Japan and couldn't find the box. Could you provide a link?

I was just over at HMV Japan and couldn't find the box. Could you provide a link?

I couldn't find it either. It's been going fast whenever the box set appears. Keep checking from time-to-time and it should be up there again.

I picked up The Essential Emerson Lake & Palmer a few days back, and have spun it twice. While the sound is reasonably good, this music has not held up well, IMO. I have a couple of ELP things on vinyl from way back, and remembered liking it alot.

i35214pa3g8.jpg

Some of the songwriting and performing seems very immature and limited. I guess there wasn't much that sounded like this in the 70's, but geez, it's pompous and not something I want to return to.

About the only things that seemed interesting to me were the Tarkus material, Karn Evil 9 Part 2, and maybe Jerusalem.

"Nutrocker" and "Hoedown"? I'd be embarrassed as an artist if these were my "essential" recordings!

About the only things that seemed interesting to me were the Tarkus material, Karn Evil 9 Part 2, and maybe Jerusalem.

Yeah, I think they still hold up. A lot of ELP doesn't.

Emerson swung through town with his solo show a few years ago. In the first half he played his Nice material and in the second half the ELP material. The highlight was Tarkus. (and that's about it.)

"The Barbarian", "Take a Pebble", "Knife Edge", "Trilogy", and "The Endless Enigma" are pretty good as well.

Guy

Me too.

When I upgraded to CDs, an ELP box and a best of did the trick.

There's a really nice piece by ELP, "The Three Fates", that's not on that best-of collection. The first ELP album is quite good.

That is one that I do happen to have on CD. I'm sure I got it used.

Their later material is much more erratic.

Lived through it, know all about it. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Just caught up with Robert Fripp's Diary musings at DGM, and it appears he's working on a project with Porcupine Tree's Gavin Harrison.

Thursday's entry:

Here in the Venal Chamber: listening to Gavin Harrison’s tracks for work tomorrow in SoundWorld II.

Perhaps less well known is that Gavin’s pedagogical work was a considerable influence on KC’s B’Boom & some of the double-drum exchanges of the Double Trio, which Bartley Butsford freely acknowledged.

Friday:

Contributions to 5 of the 6 tracks on offer from Gavin, who made specific suggestions for two of them. One suggestion included a solo, but nothing arose in response to listening.

Gotta love that BB pseudonym! :g

Edited by Aggie87

• 3 weeks later...

FYI...

VH1 Classic has been showing the "Genesis Movie" lately (flashback to the midnight movie days :) ). I haven't seen this in many years. I caught a bit of it yesterday (actually early this morning). Some good Hackett and Bruford. As a matter of fact the whole band is quite good. Even Phil's tambourine "thing" is still pretty cool after all these years.

The new Dream Theater album Systematic Chaos came out today (at least here in Germany):

E1C2B911D89D437FB8B0E4F6848F73A2.jpg

Also available as a special edition with a bonus DVD that includes a 90 minute making of video and the entire album in 5.1 surround sound:

3248523BA920405BB4A75DB776732DDB.jpg

I think it's their best in years, excellent stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

The Genesis 1976-1982 box (U.S. edition, CD + DVD) is available right now from bestbuy.com for $49.99, with free shipping (domestic shipping). Good price on a box that lists for $129.99. If your local Best Buy has this in stock, you can also do the in-store pickup (but make sure you buy it from their website, as the store price is the retail price).

There's been alot of talk about the sound quality of this on the SH Forums, but I think for this price, it's worth picking up. Apparently the DTS surround sound layer sounds decent, and better than the redbook layer. The extras sound interesting though, plus there's a whole bonus disc of non-album tracks from the same timeframe.

51EDgq5diAL._SS500_.jpg

Edited by Aggie87

To mark the 40th anniversary of the original release of Pink Floyd's first album 'The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn', a special edition is planned for release via EMI Records on 28th August in North America, and Monday September 3rd in Europe.

The packaging, designed by Storm Thorgerson, resembles a cloth-covered book, and holds 3 CD discs, along with a 12-page reproduction Syd Barrett notebook.

CD Contents

Discs 1 and 2 will contain the full 'Piper' album, represented in both stereo and mono versions. Both have been newly remastered by James Guthrie.

Disc 3 includes bonus tracks, including the following: all the Pink Floyd singles from 1967, ('Arnold Layne', 'See Emily Play', and 'Apples And Oranges'), plus the B sides 'Candy And A Current Bun' and 'Paintbox'.

Other tracks are a version of 'Interstellar Overdrive' - Take 2 of the original recording sessions, previously only available on an EP in France - and the 1967 stereo version of 'Apples And Oranges'.

Other activities surrounding the 40th anniversary celebrations will be announced in due course.

I don't think I'll be picking this up. I may download "Candy and a Current Bun" at some juncture.

Guy

I like that album, but the special addition sounds pretty missable to me as well. The singles were released as a cd ep several years ago, and I dare say that they aren't really very good. I also feel no need to have both the mono and stereo versions. I'm sure it will make a lot of people happy, though.