Aggie87

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Wallace

Dont know what your going on about - there never was this Dunmall person in the band.(Oh, I see - apparently a sax guest on one of the lps.)

Organ-heavy protoprog (with bowed fuzz guitar and distorted flute). First lp, '70 is quite musically complex for the time. Jazz,blues elements. They opened the first Isle Of Wight festival.

Later they transplanted themselves to Holland.

Music sorta like Arzachel gone East Of Eden.

I have an origional textured cover press of the first lp.

This alone makes me superior to everyone on the planet.

Edited by Wallace

Dont know what your going on about - there never was this Dunmall person in the band.(Oh, I see - apparently a sax guest on one of the lps.)

Organ-heavy protoprog (with bowed fuzz guitar and distorted flute). First lp, '70 is quite musically complex for the time. Jazz,blues elements. They opened the first Isle Of Wight festival.

Later they transplanted themselves to Holland.

Music sorta like Arzachel gone East Of Eden.

I have an origional textured cover press of the first lp.

This alone makes me superior to everyone on the planet.

It's probably already too late, but don't let it go to your head.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Our member Kyo has a good one out that fits the Prog/Fusion bill quite nicely:

http://www.relocator-project.com/

Nice review in the Sep 10 issue of Prog:

Album review from Prog Magazine, Sept 2010 issue (apologies for any typos I may have made!):

"Relocator - self released

Anything featuring former Dream Theater keyboardist Derek Sherinian is bound to pique the interest of a prog fan, and German quartet Relocator have got that. This debut has been five years in the making and even though Sherinian is making a guest appearance on this record, his influence is clear and constant.

While opening track "Red Vibes" rocks hard then widdles away mysteriously and eloquently, "Biosphere" gets even heavier before relapsing into jazzier overtones and "Proxima" takes time before building into some amazing solos. Naming a song "Relocator" as well as your band and your album might seem like overkill but the song actually serves to be the finest example of what the band is about. Some quite fantastic old school, rocking guitar solos merge with some fine, uplifting symphonies with some equally inspired jams sliding themselves into the mix. At times it's mesmerisingly complex and at others, they simply lay down some heavy simplicity. The juxtaposition is brilliantly worked.

Dream Theater fans will, of course, find comfort in new material from Sherinian's masterful keyboard wizardry but if instrumental prog metal tickles your pickle at all then this effort from Relocator really is worth searching out."

Our member Kyo has a good one out that fits the Prog/Fusion bill quite nicely:

http://www.relocator-project.com/

Thanks! :) I was wondering how you liked the CD after a few spins, guess this answers that! :)

For all those who haven't heard any of our material, we're streaming the full album on our MySpace and Facebook pages:

http://www.myspace.com/relocatorproject

http://www.facebook.com/relocatorproject

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure where to really put this, but I just read that Mick Karn (from Japan/Rain Tree Crow) has recently been diagnosed with advanced stages of cancer.

There's a page on Facebook (here) for Mick that offers the ability to leave messages (or donate money if you are so inclined) for Mick.

In addition to Japan and his solo material, Mick's recorded with Gary Numan, Kate Bush, Mark Isham, David Torn, No-Man, and others.

Mick passed away today. RIP. :(

Edited by Aggie87

Not sure where to really put this, but I just read that Mick Karn (from Japan/Rain Tree Crow) has recently been diagnosed with advanced stages of cancer.

There's a page on Facebook (here) for Mick that offers the ability to leave messages (or donate money if you are so inclined) for Mick.

In addition to Japan and his solo material, Mick's recorded with Gary Numan, Kate Bush, Mark Isham, David Torn, No-Man, and others.

Mick passed away today. RIP. :(

sad. rip.

• 4 weeks later...

41HPPX022YL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Listened to this for the first time since the late 70s yesterday.

Enjoyed it far more than I did at the time. I remember the whole album was played on the radio just before release - a group of mates sat, listened and we were all horrified. I bought a copy...just in case...but never warmed to it.

Enjoyed it far far more yesterday. It doesn't seem that well recorded, Anderson's voice seems strained and it lacks the melting melodies (apart from 'Soon') that were at the heart of the group previously. The songs themselves sound even more cut-and-paste than usual - fragments stiched together.

But Steve Howe seemed to be having a wail of a time - it really does seem to be his record with a level of grittiness and menace he had rarely shown before. Maybe it was their 'punk' record, two years before punk!!!!!

Happy to have been reaquainted.

• 4 weeks later...

here's another track, this time with Crane on Hammond. This is what ELP really SHOULD have sounded like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOaE1nxjhlU

I recommend their first 3 albums (Atomic Roooster, Death Walks Behind You, In Hearing Of..), there's a different lineup on each one, but they all work.

Edited by Shawn

here's another track, this time with Crane on Hammond. This is what ELP really SHOULD have sounded like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOaE1nxjhlU

I recommend their first 3 albums (Atomic Roooster, Death Walks Behind You, In Hearing Of..), there's a different lineup on each one, but they all work.

You're breaking my wallet between this and Thin Lizzy!