CD burning software: what are the best options?

riverrat

I installed Nero on my new Sony Vaio PC and it seemed to have killed my CD/DVD burning drive. I had to have someone come in and replace the drive. There seems to be some issues with Nero software on Sony computers, so I am back to Windows Media or Sonic. WM is annoying because no matter how many times I try to turn crossfading on, it STILL inserts a 2 second gap between tracks, which is very annoying with live discs. And I havent even tried Sonic yet, but I dont see any crossfade options

Wow, Greg...just the other day, the same thing happened to me - my "E" drive just disappeared, but the culprit in this case seemed to be a trial download of GEAR CD/DVD burning software. Right now, I can't afford to replace the drive - frightening that software can screw up hardware!

Marla

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, Greg...just the other day, the same thing happened to me - my "E" drive just disappeared, but the culprit in this case seemed to be a trial download of GEAR CD/DVD burning software. Right now, I can't afford to replace the drive - frightening that software can screw up hardware!

Marla

Is your a Vaio too? Luckily mine is still under warranty so it cost me nothing. I didn't have the drive disappear, it just stopped spinning any kind of CD (CD-R, CD-RW, audio CDs) and recordable DVDs but played regular DVDs without any problem

Nero is a really great program if you can afford it. $50 really isn't that much. You can rip audio to numerous formats, you can edit files, you burn and create ISOs, etc. etc. I have it on all three of my computers and have been using it exclusively for years.

Nero 5 came with my drive. I liked it so much that I bought Nero 6 Ultra. Don't think I'll need Nero 7 at this point.

There is 99% chance that your drive is working well, but that the GEAR program messed up the drivers, so that Windows can't load them anymore and is unable to display the drive in Windows Explorer. That's why your "E" drive is missing. Check the Device manager, it will probably show the drive, but with an error message.

It's a software problem. If you replaced the drive, it would't be recognized either, because all CD/DVD drives yuse the same built-in Windows driver.

I usually fix these CD driver problems with the Feurio software (www.feurio.de), which does not install any drivers and has a nice system diagnosis function. But you will need some more advanced knowledge to know which drivers need to be deactivated so the the regular drivers are being loaded again.

Marla, you should try the Driver Remover from GEAR:

http://www.gearsoftware.com/cfknowledgebas...m?articleid=295

Thanks so much, Claude. I had a trial version of GEAR and when my "E" drive disappeared, I decided to uninstall GEAR. I guess there is nothing else I can do to get my PC to again recognize my "E" drive? I downloaded an easy-to-use CD/DVD burner/copier, DropToCD. Easy to use and so far, fine for my basic needs.

Marla

1) Go to Start --> settings --> control panel --> system --> hardware --> device manager and check if your CD drive is displayed, and if there is an error message about drivers

2) if that is the case, download and run the Gear driver removal software

If after reboot the situation hasn't changed (check device manager again), I can guide you through other steps.

1) Go to Start --> settings --> control panel --> system --> hardware --> device manager and check if your CD drive is displayed, and if there is an error message about drivers

2) if that is the case, download and run the Gear driver removal software

If after reboot the situation hasn't changed (check device manager again), I can guide you through other steps.

Hi Claude,

Under "device manager," all that is showing is my external Sony drive. My "D" drive has been in trouble for a long time - will need to be replaced, and after doing the above, my "E" drive is not appearing at all.

I removed the Gear software after the problem (used the PC's "Uninstall" feature. I've rebooted several times over the past few days and my E drive is still not appearing - strangest PC thing that ever happened to me!

The question is: Even though I uninstalled the Gear software, should I still click on the link you provided earlier and download/run the Gear driver removal software?

Regards and thanks,

Marla

I removed the Gear software after the problem (used the PC's "Uninstall" feature. I've rebooted several times over the past few days and my E drive is still not appearing - strangest PC thing that ever happened to me!

It's most likely an ASPI Layer issue. Look here.

Thanks, Mr. Gone.

Another question before I download this software:

The last update of the ASPI software seems to be November 2002. Would that be correct?

The other stupid question from a novice: if I do download the ASPI software, will my "E" drive miraculously appear again or do I have to do something else?

Regards,

Marla

Another question before I download this software:

The last update of the ASPI software seems to be November 2002. Would that be correct?

If you're on Windows XP, NT, 2000, Me, 98 the answer is yes.

The other stupid question from a novice: if I do download the ASPI software, will my "E" drive miraculously appear again or do I have to do something else?

If you're following the instructions (and it was an ASPI problem) from the download site your drive should appear again.

Did the ASPI download, ran it and then did a reboot and the E drive is still nowhere to be found. I thank you for trying to help me, though! Open to other suggestions if you have any!

Just to make sure... when installing the ASPI driver, did you run install.bat with the proper parameter (for instance XP32 for Windows XP)?

For Windows XP, select Start - Run from the menu, and then the Browse button. Locate the INSTALL.BAT file in the directory the files extracted to and select the OPEN button. In the command box, add a space and either XP32 for Pentium I/II/III/IV processors or XP64 for Itanium processors. The command should look like: c:\adaptec\aspi\install.bat XP32 or c:\adaptec\aspi\install.bat XP64. Then select the OK button to run the XP installer.

If you're using Windows XP then try this (Microsoft Knowledge Base).

Under "device manager," all that is showing is my external Sony drive. My "D" drive has been in trouble for a long time - will need to be replaced, and after doing the above, my "E" drive is not appearing at all.

Marla,

If the drive is not displayed in device manager, there really seems to be a hardware problem. Maybe someone can test the drive on another PC to make sure it is at fault (and not the IDE cable or the mainboard)

Marla,

If the drive is not displayed in device manager, there really seems to be a hardware problem. Maybe someone can test the drive on another PC to make sure it is at fault (and not the IDE cable or the mainboard)

Thanks, Claude. Looks like I'm going to have to bring my PC in for service anyway. Both drives need to be checked now and you are probably correct! I'll report back.

Thanks for your help,

Marla

Marla,

Not necessarily. I uninstalled Roxio from one of my computer once and after rebooting my burner was gone. It wasn't selectable as a drive, it wasn't in Device Manager, nothing. I forget how I got it back unfortunately. I'll see what I can find online about it.

Marla,

Not necessarily. I uninstalled Roxio from one of my computer once and after rebooting my burner was gone. It wasn't selectable as a drive, it wasn't in Device Manager, nothing. I forget how I got it back unfortunately. I'll see what I can find online about it.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your generosity! Appreciate it. Since I can't afford to get my PC fixed 'til the next paycheck, that works out great. Yeah, just disappeared into thin air. Sounds like this type problem could be inherent in CD burning/copying software (some types)?

Thanks,

Marla

Well, I see someone has already mentioned ASPI in this thread. That would've been my first guess as well, that the ASPI drivers are missing. They should go in the windows/system32/drivers folder. When you run that program that Mr. Gone had you download, that is just a self-extractor. It doesn't actually install the drivers. It probably extracted the files to C:\adaptec\ASPI. Look in that folder for a filed called "aspichk", double click that and see what it says. The following files should be installed:

ASPI32.sys

WOWPOST.exe

WINASPI.dll

WNASPI32.dll

If they are not, then you need to run the installer which is called "install" in that same folder (c:\adaptec\aspi)

Well, I see someone has already mentioned ASPI in this thread. That would've been my first guess as well, that the ASPI drivers are missing. They should go in the windows/system32/drivers folder. When you run that program that Mr. Gone had you download, that is just a self-extractor. It doesn't actually install the drivers. It probably extracted the files to C:\adaptec\ASPI. Look in that folder for a filed called "aspichk", double click that and see what it says. The following files should be installed:

ASPI32.sys

WOWPOST.exe

WINASPI.dll

WNASPI32.dll

If they are not, then you need to run the installer which is called "install" in that same folder (c:\adaptec\aspi)

Thanks, Jim. Already did those steps. Just checked again to be sure and yes, all of those files are installed.

The mystery continues...

Marla

Edited by makpjazz57

Next question:

I opened up the "add new hardware" section and the options below (minus possibilities like printers and USB Hubs):

SoundMAX Integrated Dig Aud

Audio Codecs

Legacy Audio Drives

Media Control Devices

Legacy Video Capture Drives

Video Codecs

WDC WD1200JB-75CRA0 (might this be the lost E drive)?

IDE channel

the other option is "add new hardware" - would that be the one to select?

My E drive's manufacturer is NEC, if I remember correctly, by the way.