Jewish jazz musicians

Dmitry

I hope it's OK to include two Jewish non-professional musicians, Alan Rose and Paul Woodrow.

Alan Rose, who is from Leeds, England, won a young British jazz pianist contest in the 1960s. The prize was a week in New York City, with visits to jazz clubs and an appearance on television, sitting in for one number with Al Cohn/Zoot Sims. Recalling it recently, he told me Jimmy Garrison was on bass and Gus Johnson on drums and the number was a twelve-bar blues (of course!)

Paul Woodrow, originally also from Leeds, but now long resident in Calgary, Alberta, plays both modern jazz piano and blues keyboards. He names Victor Feldman, Carl Perkins and Wynton Kelly as his favorite pianists. He currently plays keyboards with the Rooster Blues Band, based in Calgary. Here they are backing blues singer Lou Pride in Boston:

http://www.bu.edu/today/node/5296

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm Mike Gerber, the London-based author of the book Jazz Jews, as a

result of which I've been asked to host a regular Jazz Jews show on the

internet station UK Jazz Radio.

As I'm already part of this Organissimo forum debate, I thought other

members might be interested in this development.

UK Jazz Radio is one year old this month and already has some 500,000

listeners worldwide. Listeners access the shows via the UK Jazz Radio

website at www.jazzradio.com, or on a wifi internet radio.

My Jazz Jews show will feature: Jewish-jazz fusions of every kind; rootsy

Jewish music such as klezmer; Israeli jazz; and there will also be a focus

on Jewish Great American Songbook composers. I will also play tracks by

some of the many Jewish musicians who have contributed to jazz. I also

plan to do interviews, gigs and documentary specials.

My debut show was broadcast at 10.00pm on Tuesday 26th October, UK

time, but it will be repeated on various days and at various times, as will

further editions of the show. Just check out the UK Jazz Radio schedules,

remember these are in UK time, so if you want to catch my show outside the UK

you'll probably have to make a time zone adjustment

The show will be monthly initially.

There is information about me on my book website at www.jazzjews.com.

And I will have my own presenter's page on the UK Jazz Radio website at

www.ukjazzradio.com.

I interviewed Peter Apfelbaum, Charlie Hunter, and Steven Bernstein for a Jewish themed radio show at KZSU Stanford in recent years -- programmed by Sara Bellum and Raya Zion variously. I had Glenn Hartman of the New Orleans Klezmer Allstars come in and play live and be interviewed once, as well. I also brought in Mark "Stew" Stewart the creator of the Broadway show "Passing Strange" to play and discuss his show -- not Jewish but was a hot topic and within arms reach -- I made sure to ask him about his work in progress (with Heidi Rodewald -- not sure of her ethnicity) about Black-Jewish relations working title "We Can See Tomorrow". The shows are archived but am not sure whether to bother posting them or transcribing them. Oh, yeah, I also interviewed Don Byron for the same show, on the strength of his work with Klezmer. I always tried to define "Jewish" very broadly...

Steve Lacy, in New York Times, at least once referred to himself as a "jewgitive" I think --combination of "Jew" and "fugitive" -- he had been living in France for so long, and on the run.

I interviewed Peter Apfelbaum, Charlie Hunter, and Steven Bernstein for a Jewish themed radio show at KZSU Stanford in recent years -- programmed by Sara Bellum and Raya Zion variously. I had Glenn Hartman of the New Orleans Klezmer Allstars come in and play live and be interviewed once, as well. I also brought in Mark "Stew" Stewart the creator of the Broadway show "Passing Strange" to play and discuss his show -- not Jewish but was a hot topic and within arms reach -- I made sure to ask him about his work in progress (with Heidi Rodewald -- not sure of her ethnicity) about Black-Jewish relations working title "We Can See Tomorrow". The shows are archived but am not sure whether to bother posting them or transcribing them. Oh, yeah, I also interviewed Don Byron for the same show, on the strength of his work with Klezmer. I always tried to define "Jewish" very broadly...

Steve Lacy, in New York Times, at least once referred to himself as a "jewgitive" I think --combination of "Jew" and "fugitive" -- he had been living in France for so long, and on the run.

Ok, "Jewgitive is also a composition and performance on "Sands" from 1998 on Tzadik...

just re-above - my newest project will be 3 CDs of personal blues interpretations - Mike, not sure I have your email now, but will try to send it to you - Mark, can send you as well (it also inlcudes one blues piece in reference to the "model" concentration camp set up by the Nazi's and which housed it's own little Jewish orchestra).

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update forum members on my Jazz Jews radio show: you can now hear it anytime via internet station UK Jazz Radio's Listen Again service at: http://www.ukjazzradio.com/ListenAgain.html

My debut show, first broadcast on 2nd November, is still up there but I'm about to record the 2nd show which will get its first airing towards the end of next week.

Any members that do check out the show, please let me know what you think via the email link on my UK Jazz Radio presenter's page at http://www.ukjazzradio.com/MikeGerber.html

BTW, any members in London on 28th November may well be interested in the Jazzsongs and Jews event that I'll be presenting, with musical accompaniment by jazz singer/pianist Clare Shaw - details at http://www.spiroark.org/events/713/jazzsongs-and-jews/

I'm Mike Gerber, the London-based author of the book Jazz Jews, as a

result of which I've been asked to host a regular Jazz Jews show on the

internet station UK Jazz Radio.

As I'm already part of this Organissimo forum debate, I thought other

members might be interested in this development.

UK Jazz Radio is one year old this month and already has some 500,000

listeners worldwide. Listeners access the shows via the UK Jazz Radio

website at www.jazzradio.com, or on a wifi internet radio.

My Jazz Jews show will feature: Jewish-jazz fusions of every kind; rootsy

Jewish music such as klezmer; Israeli jazz; and there will also be a focus

on Jewish Great American Songbook composers. I will also play tracks by

some of the many Jewish musicians who have contributed to jazz. I also

plan to do interviews, gigs and documentary specials.

My debut show was broadcast at 10.00pm on Tuesday 26th October, UK

time, but it will be repeated on various days and at various times, as will

further editions of the show. Just check out the UK Jazz Radio schedules,

remember these are in UK time, so if you want to catch my show outside the UK

you'll probably have to make a time zone adjustment

The show will be monthly initially.

There is information about me on my book website at www.jazzjews.com.

And I will have my own presenter's page on the UK Jazz Radio website at

www.ukjazzradio.com.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...