Jewish jazz musicians

Dmitry

Paul Desmond WAS Jewish - it came up in some Brubeck LP liner notes that I read. He was hassled about it on one of the tours.

That's not what Doug Ramsey's authoritative Desmond biography "Take Five" says. Desmond did for a while believe that was Jewish on his father's side of his family, but he was wrong. The Brubeck Quartet IIRC did have to play without Desmond on a tour that took them to Saudi Arabia because it was thought that Desmond was Jewish, but Desmond's father, Emil Breitenfeld was of German ancestry.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harry James definitely wasn't Jewish, though loads of people think so. Ditto Paul Whiteman and Brubeck, though Brubeck recorded the album The Gates of Justice, Brubeck's musical attempt to forge a common bond between the American Jewish and black communities. A true mensch.

Two major jazz figures I interviewed for my book, Jazz Jews, Artie Shaw and Stanley Crouch, both swore to me that Bill Evans (the pianist, not the saxophonist) was Jewish. He wasn't. I recently set up a website linked to the book - http://jazzjews.com

Paul Desmond WAS Jewish - it came up in some Brubeck LP liner notes that I read. He was hassled about it on one of the tours.

That's not what Doug Ramsey's authoritative Desmond biography "Take Five" says. Desmond did for a while believe that was Jewish on his father's side of his family, but he was wrong. The Brubeck Quartet IIRC did have to play without Desmond on a tour that took them to Saudi Arabia because it was thought that Desmond was Jewish, but Desmond's father, Emil Breitenfeld was of German ancestry.

Here's what a Washington Post article says about Desmond's ethnicity: "Desmond was born in San Francisco in 1924 and was known, until he changed his name at 21, as Paul Breitenfeld. He was often assumed to be Jewish, but neither Ramsey nor, apparently, Desmond himself could find a conclusive answer"

Whatever the truth about his lineage, if Desmond believed he was Jewish for most of his life, then In a sense, he was - because if you even mistakenly believe you are Jewish, it probably affects your sensibility and outlook on the world; for example, in terms of one's reflexive reaction to instances of antisemitism, or perhaps in feeling a member of an out-group.

Hal Stein - sax

Harvey Leonard - piano

Steve Elson - sax

Harvey Wainapel - sax

Jennie Stein (Graciela Carriqui) - singer

Mel Martin - sax

Mark Levine - piano

Mark Soskin - piano

Al Plank - piano

Bob Newman - sax

Kitty Margolis - singer

Rob Schneiderman - sax

Rob Schneider - sax

Dave Berkman - piano

Louis Kahn - trombone

Peter Apfelbaum - sax

Jessica Fuchs (Jess Jones) - sax

Lee Bloom - piano

Myron Cohen - drums

Michael Brecker - sax

Randy Brecker - trumpet

Dave Berger - piano

Bobby Rosenstein - drums

Art Lande - piano

Edited by Greg Stein

Don't think Charles Delaunay was mentioned.

As the just released biography 'Charles Delaunay et le Jazz en France dans les années 30 et 40' by Anne Legrand - an excellent book - states, his mother, the famous painter Sonia Delaunay was born in 1885 in a jewish family in Odessa. She did her best to keep the information as private as possible which enabled her to survive through the nazi occupation of France without problems.

I don't know if this is what was being referred to earlier, but virtually all the members of the Baja Marimba band (sort of a post-Tijuana Brass group put together by Alpert to cash in) - were Jewish.

It's a little like that exchange in The Sunshine Boys:

A: Herb Shapiro died.

B: Who was he?

A: Remember the old comedy team of Gonzales and Rodriguez?

B: Sure.

A: He was Rodriguez.