More Original Vogue Masters

brownie

There is a new batch of Original Vogue Masters CDs that is being released next February 22 by BMG France. The previous batch included excellent reissues by Clifford Brown, Lionel Hampton, Bobby Jaspar, Gerry Mulligan, Martial Solal, Lucky Thompson, Barney Wilen among others.

Could not find anything on the new releases on the BMG France website but I have the following CDs that are part of the next batch:

- Sidney Bechet - Martial Solal Quartet,

- Henri Renaud - Al Cohn Quartet,

- Henri Renaud All Stars (with Al Cohn, Percy Heath, Milt Jackson, Jay Jay Johnson, Charlie Smith),

- Nelson Williams (Five Horn Grooves & Nelson Williams All Stars),

- Bebop in Paris, vol. 1 (Howard McGhee Sextet, Ernie Royal & His Princes, James Moody Quintet).

I could not find BeBop in Paris, vol. 2 which includes sides by Gigi Gryce (the Paris Vogue sessions).

All these new releases are dedicated to the memory of Henri Renaud.

The Martial Solal Vogue material is being reissued too as part of the series.

The Five Horn Grooves album from the Nelson Williams is an intriguing - and a rare - session that had the trumpet players of the Duke Ellington band Orchestra of 195O (Nelson Williams, Ray Nance, Harold Baker, Al Killian, Ernie Royal) accompanied by Art Simmons on piano with Ellingtonians Wendell Marshall and Butch Ballard.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mastering on the Bechet/Solal is very good too.

As for the Fats Sadi date, this looks to have been left out from the latest batch.

The new ones seem to have been in the works for quite a long time. Henri Renaud who wrote some of the liner notes for the recent reissues died in 2002.

The reissues are copyrighted 2004.

Now that BMG is merging with Sony, these might be the last reissues from the series to appear :(

Unless I happened to get the one 'bum' copy on earth, the mastering on 'The 1954 Paris Sessions' doesn't sound good.....particularly on the first track ("Red Rose") where you can clearly hear all sorts of weird ticks & glicks starting at about 2:00. Same with the 'Laffin and Cryin'. Seems to me that I remember hearing more of the same last time I spun the Clarke/Haynes 'Transatlantic Meetings' cd. What's up with Vogue?

I'm excited about the Bechet-Solal session, and the Williams session as well (— didn't even know about the existence of the latter). The others, strangely enough, I have through Vogue (BMG) Japan, except for the Bebop disc, which, if I'm not mistaken, I have at least in part (without the Royal session, that is) in the Jazz in Paris series. Love that disc. Just played it last night, in fact.

'Bebop in Paris, volume 2' turns out to be a bit of a disappointment.

It includes the sides recorded by the Gigi Gryce Orchestra and the Art Farmer New Jazz Stars in Paris in September/October 1953 when all the interested were playing with the Lionel Hampton Orchestra.

The CD includes only 10 sides (for a total length of 37m51s) from the various sessions and does not include the alternate takes by Gigi Gryce that were issued in Japan! It does not include either the version of 'Yesterdays' that Anthony Ortega recorded with Quincy Jones on piano...

Only alternate take is a 3m22s version of 'Strike Up The Band' by Art Farmer with Henri Renaud on piano.

• 1 month later...

Looks like most of the albums from the previous series have been included among the new releases. The 4 volumes of the Martial Solal 'Complete Vogue Recordings' CDs are available again!.

No special page at amazon.fr for the full series but a search for the Solals gets you this:

http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/search-ha...7816189-5564269

Edited by brownie

Looks like most of the albums from the previous series have been included among the new releases. The 4 volumes of the Martial Solal 'Complete Vogue Recordings' CDs are available again!.

No special page at amazon.fr for the full series but a search for the Solals gets you this:

http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/search-ha...7816189-5564269

brownie, the link doesn't work! What do you mean the new releases include albums from the previous series? The other three Solals are only available through Marketplace sellers, as far as I can see.

• 2 weeks later...

There is one additional new item on that Original Vogue Masters series from BMG.

Lalo Schifrin - Astor Piazzola 'Two Argentinians in Paris'. Two reissues from rare 10-inchers, both recorded in 1955.

This one:

http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000...5222082-0049059

Schifrin plays lightweight jazz piano (with Pierre Michelot on bass and Jean-Louis Viale on drums.

Piazzola's sides are superb. Martial Solal plays piano on them but has a very minor role!

There is one additional new item on that Original Vogue Masters series from BMG.

Lalo Schifrin - Astor Piazzola 'Two Argentinians in Paris'. Two reissues from rare 10-inchers, both recorded in 1955.

This one:

http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000...5222082-0049059

Schifrin plays lightweight jazz piano (with Pierre Michelot on bass and Jean-Louis Viale on drums.

Piazzola's sides are superb. Martial Solal plays piano on them but has a very minor role!

Sounds great, thanks for letting us know, brownie!

But let me ask: is this really part of the series, with that colourful cover?

B0002VYE40.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Very much unlike all the others!

Not that surprising!

These are Disques Vogue reissues. One of the head man at Vogue in those times was Charles Delauney who also was publisher of Jazz Hot. Delauney who was the son of famous painters Robert and Sonia Delauney had very strong ideas on designing. His two favorite colors were red and black.

If you happen to catch issues of Jazz Hot from that era you will see a number of covers with those two colors. And inside a number of red and black colored Vogue ads!

Not that surprising!

These are Disques Vogue reissues. One of the head man at Vogue in those times was Charles Delauney who also was publisher of Jazz Hot. Delauney who was the son of famous painters Robert and Sonia Delauney had very strong ideas on designing. His two favorite colors were red and black.

If you happen to catch issues of Jazz Hot from that era you will see a number of covers with those two colors. And inside a number of red and black colored Vogue ads!

So let's hope that after 30+ black ones, this is the one starting the run of 30+ red ones!

Thanks, brownie! I wasn't aware of Ch. Delauney being the painter's son (never heard of Sonia Delauney, I'm afraid).