More Original Vogue Masters

brownie

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I ordered the Solal-Bechet and the Solal Volume 4 before my wallet screamed and ran out of the rooom. . . .

Oh, they also have a new cd version of the Gitte Haenniing and Clark Boland Big Band session that I managed to get in before fiscal calamity transpired.

• 2 months later...

There is one additional new item on that Original Vogue Masters series from BMG.

Lalo Schifrin - Astor Piazzola 'Two Argentinians in Paris'. Two reissues from rare 10-inchers, both recorded in 1955.

This one:

http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000...5222082-0049059

Schifrin plays lightweight jazz piano (with Pierre Michelot on bass and Jean-Louis Viale on drums.

Piazzola's sides are superb. Martial Solal plays piano on them but has a very minor role!

Sounds great, thanks for letting us know, brownie!

But let me ask: is this really part of the series, with that colourful cover?

B0002VYE40.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Very much unlike all the others!

Alright, lucky me stumbled over three of these fine discs today in a sale! First a few thoughts about this one: carefully packaged, extensive new liners, plus original (French) liners, plus facsimile of front and back of both original LPs... very nice! This one, btw, is not dedicated to Renaud - maybe this is sort of a "hors série" release?

Whatever, about the music: the Schiffrin (his frenchified name back then) is a nice latin piano album, with Michelot barely audible on bass (and actually I don't care, Schifrin's left hand is strong enough!), and drums and latin percussion. Very nice one! They do "Mon homme", a "Mambop" that resembles... what was it again, "Misterioso"? And my favourite cut is "Pigalle".

The Piazzolla sides are indeed tango sides, nothing jazz there, even with Martial Solal on piano (the rest of the band - mostly strings - remain anonymous). This is a beautiful early glimpse of Piazzolla. I am not at all an expert, but I've not heard any Piazzolla in such a big line-up (other, more traditional tango, yes, but Piazzolla only in small groups, so far). These sides are a lot to my liking, though!

Probably the whole disc is a bit on the light side, buth wtf! Spin it, smile, and enjoy life for 45 minutes ;)

B0002VY9SQ.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The McGhee sides are nice, some nice Jimmy Heath there. Fit in with the McGhee sides on the "Bebop" disc that was released as part of the Jazz in Paris series (pictured above).

The Ernie Royal sides came as quite a surprise to me! Very nice to hear this trumpet player stretch out! Ted Kelly, whom I otherwise only know from some Prez dates (where he is very much in Lester's shadow - but who wouldn't be...) is fine, too, and James Moody is, well, James Moody. The bass-drum team is a Ducal one, Wendell Marshall and Butch Ballard, the later pulling some cool tricks now and then. Raymond Fol is on piano.

Then the Moody sides - best part of this disc! Moody is smokin'! Check him out on "Lover Come Back to Me" - very impressive! Guérin is trying hard to keep the tempo there, and frankly does not succeed, really... however, he adds a few nice touches here and there. Fol again is on piano, Michelot on bass, and Pierre Lemarchand on drums.

Minor goof: Moody plays alto throughout.

B0002VY9T0.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This disc fits right in with the three Clifford Brown volumes. More great Gryce arrangements and tunes (plus a couple of really nice Quincy Jones tunes, too), and great playing by Gryce, Farmer, Anthony Ortega, Jimmy Cleveland...

Highlights include "Evening in Paris", a haunting Jones theme played by Gryce with Jimmy Gourley and Quincy on piano, Gryce's flute feature, "I Can't Get Started", a great Cleveland performance on "Purple Shades" (the other Quincy tune), and a couple of great Ortega solos on two takes of "Strike up the Band" (these two plus "Serenate to Sonny", an Ortega tune, are the three cuts by Farmer, the other seven are by Gryce).

Other minor goof: the second take of "Strike up the Band" is not a quartet cut, but also features Ortega and Clifford Solomon (both in ensemble and solo). The solo order is different from the first take (which also has a Cleveland solo) - I am not sure if Cleveland is playing in the ensemble, but I think I cannot hear him...

I am aware of brownie's post above mourning the lack of alternates, but I tell you: for me who has never before heard these recordings, that's not a big problem, even at only 36 or 37 minutes, this disc is full with prime music, and Gryce's bittersweet sound and his great arranging are enough to make me happy!

I must be the only one that didn't find the bebop Gryce recordings particularly fascinating. A lot of it didn't strike me as bebop and the music just didn't hit. I also didn't find the arrangements particularly fascinating. The other that I picked up, among them Sidney Bechet were outstanding, particularly that one.

I must be the only one that didn't find the bebop Gryce recordings particularly fascinating.  A lot of it didn't strike me as bebop and the music just didn't hit.  I also didn't find the arrangements particularly fascinating.  The other that I picked up, among them Sidney Bechet were outstanding, particularly that one.

Interesting! You are probably aware that these Gryce (and Farmer) sessions were made around the same time the Brownie sessions for Vogue were done - when the Hampton band was in Paris, in October 1953.

Now I have never really warmed up to those Brownie sessions... don't ask me why! I have just recently given the first volume a listen again, and I liked it alright, but somehow the "fire" is lacking there... the cuts with Dawson are ok, but when Viale plays, I think things get much lamer than any other Brownie I heard. Sorry to say this, as Viale is a good drummer, in my book. Just here, he doesn't do it for me.

Now the Gryce tracks *did* grab my attention from the outset. They may not be the most advanced and best arranged tunes, but somehow I could immediately connect...

Of course I will work on the Brownie sessions again and again!

• 1 year later...

These Vogue discs, and it seems many of them, are up on French Amazon again for the sale prize of 7 euro a pop!

I am not quite sure this link really goes through big-o, but I hope so:

http://www.amazon.fr/s/ref=sr_nr_n_0/171-3...64%2Cn%3A301175

Recommended discs:

- all three Clifford Brown volumes

- both Lucky Thompsons

- all four Martial Solals

- Barney Wilen's "Tilt"

. all three Bobby Jaspars

- the Hodges/Hawkins

- the Mary Lou Williams

- the two Bebop in Paris

- 54 Sessions w/Henri Renaud

- Duke Jordan/Bud Powell - New York/Paris

- Oscar Pettiford (duplicates stuff on the Fantasy "Birdlanders" discs, I think)

- both Mulligans

- the Monk solo album (might be the best of all his solo efforts!)

- Jimmy Raney (mainly Vol. 1 with Sonny Clark, but Vol. 2 is fine as well)

I didn't check if indeed all of these are up, but I saw some Jaspars and these have been hard to find for a while now, so here's your chance! Same for the Brownies, I think Vol. 1 was quite gone...

Some more recommendations from the Vogue Masters series:

- the André Hodeir (with Bobby Jaspar, Bernard Peiffer, etc...),

- the Third Hersmen/Jay Cameron's International Sax Band'

- the Piano Collection, vol. 2 (George Wallington/Al Haig/Jimmy Jones),

- the Big Bill Broonzy double CD

• 2 years later...

I just compiled this for a friend - is this the complete listing of the series?

Sidney Bechet - Martial Solal Quartet

Big Bill Broonzy - The Complete Vogue Recordings (3CD)

Clifford Brown - The Complete Paris Sessions Vol. 1

Clifford Brown - The Complete Paris Sessions Vol. 2

Clifford Brown - The Complete Paris Sessions Vol. 3

Don Byas - With Mary Lou Williams Trio / With Beryl Booker Trio

Roy Eldridge & his Little Jazz Vol. 1

Roy Eldridge & his Little Jazz Vol. 2

Dizzy Gillespie - Plays in Paris

Dizzy Gillespie - Pleyel 49

Dizzy Gillespie - Pleyel 53

Lionel Hampton & his All Stars (*)

Coleman Hawkins / Jonny Hodges - the Vogue Sessions

André Hodeir - The Vogue Sessions

Bobby Jaspar & Henri Renaud

Bobby Jaspar & his Modern Jazz

Bobby Jaspar / David Amram

Duke Jordan - New York / Bud Powell - Paris

Thelonious Monk - Solo 1954

Gerry Mulligan - Pleyel Concert Vol. 1

Gerry Mulligan - Pleyel Concert Vol. 2

Oscar Pettiford - Sextet

Jimmy Raney - Visits Paris Vol. 1

Jimmy Raney - Visits Paris Vol. 2

Henri Renaud-Al Cohn Quartet

Henri Renaud Trio, Sextet & All Stars

Henri Renaud All Stars (with Jay Jay, Cohn, etc...)

Lalo Schifrin / Astor Piazzola - Two Argentinians in Paris

Zoot Sims - Quartet & Sextet

Martial Solal - Complete Vogue Vol. 1

Martial Solal - Complete Vogue Vol. 2

Martial Solal - Complete Vogue Vol. 3

Martial Solal - Complete Vogue Vol. 4

The Third Herdsmen/Jay Cameron International Sax Band

Lucky Thompson - Complete Vogue Vol. 1

Lucky Thompson - Complete Vogue Vol. 2

Barney Wilen - Tilt

Mary Lou Williams - London Sessions

Nelson Williams (Five Horn Grooves & Nelson Williams All Stars)

Various - Bebop in Paris, vol. 1 (Howard McGhee Sextet, Ernie Royal & His Princes, James Moody Quintet)

Various - Bebop in Paris, vol. 2 (Gigi Gryce)

Various - The Saxophone Collection

Various - The Piano Collection Vol. 1

Various - The Piano Collection Vol. 2

Various - The 1954 Paris Sessions

• 9 months later...

Didn't check, but there were two discs each by Mulligan and by Raney - so these might be complete.

Solal had four, Brownie and Dizzy three each (but with Dizzy, the 1953 concert is pretty dispensable... one of what I consider his "fun years" - though I'm sure it wasn't that funny - where he played it to the people and didn't have the best of sidemen).

Yes, they're ugly... almost as bad the recent Jazz in Paris 3CD sets.

i find them worse actually, the recent JiP sets i got a bit used to, plus inside those cardboard things have the complete photographs on them with only little writing (iirc) so when they're open, those boxes don't look bad ...

Yes, they're ugly... almost as bad the recent Jazz in Paris 3CD sets.

i find them worse actually, the recent JiP sets i got a bit used to, plus inside those cardboard things have the complete photographs on them with only little writing (iirc) so when they're open, those boxes don't look bad ...

I see... just know them from the outside as I have no need for any of them :w