More Original Vogue Masters

brownie

2 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

We're more likely to see a third box than a new series of reissues plugging holes. . . and I'd be happy to see a third box.We'll see.

You are probably right but what I meant is another box in THIS format compiled in order to plug holes. ;) Honestly, casual buyers would not notice (some of the material of #1 is already too obscure for superficial listeners-in anyway) and advanced collectors would enthuse ...;)

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess you're right as well, Lon - but actually if they want the collectors to buy it, they need to add some rarities (Barney Wilen's "Zodiac" would be cool, for starters, but that's not PD ... not sure if that's a factor, but I have a hunch it might be).

And yes, there'd be other options for French material, but CFdD is Universal-owned, isn't it? I think a few Jazz in Paris discs contained CFdD material.

1 hour ago, Big Beat Steve said:

You are probably right but what I meant is another box in THIS format compiled in order to plug holes. ;) Honestly, casual buyers would not notice (some of the material of #1 is already too obscure for superficial listeners-in anyway) and advanced collectors would enthuse ...;)

Another box in this format compiled to plug holes is an excellent solution. Sensible! That's what record companies do, right, sensible things? :)

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Sensible! That's what record companies do, right, sensible things? :)

I KNOW we'll never get a box set along these lines... :D

Yet offhand I'd not mind such a box set that includes THESE, for example:

LD 045 Willie The Lion Smith

LD147 Raymond Le Sénéchal Sextet: Modenr Jazz in Paris

LD182 Alix Combelle avec Buck Clyaton

LD 184 Geo Daly

LD 203 Beryl Booker with Don Byas

LD 209 Frank Foster

LD 212 Fats Sadi

Other reissues may already exist but these might not be the most "obvious" choices for such box sets and might therefore fill some gaps worth filling .

Hmmm.  Definitely too bad.  I didn't realize that I did have so much of the contents in U.S. releases, though I suspected I had the Lester Young.  It's a shame, since the package is pretty nice with cool covers and all. 

Anyway, I guess it is time that this site helped me save money for once...  ;)