More Original Vogue Masters

brownie

Mine arrived today, very quickly, from Amazon France, slightly cheaper than Amazon UK. Have hardly any of the material so an easy purchase.

The Konitz is 'Lee Konitz Plays' Vogue LD 169, recorded 18/09/53.

Vogue LD 169 was reissued on Prestige 7827. Personnel on this date: Konitz, Henri Renaud (piano), Jimmy Gourley (guitar), Don Bagley (bass) and Stan Levey (drums).

Edited by J.A.W.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine arrived today, very quickly, from Amazon France, slightly cheaper than Amazon UK. Have hardly any of the material so an easy purchase.

I'm interested to know what/how many titles are on the Pettiford (13), Thomas (14) & Monk (16) discs - these will be mighty short if it's just the 10" tracks

Does the Wilen (20) disc contain 15 titles as in the Vogue black digipak release (ie alternate takes) - BTW AFAIK this was never released as a 10" LP

If the Wilen disc does contain all 15, it would be worth buying the box just for this disc - going for decent sums now

I'm interested to know what/how many titles are on the Pettiford (13), Thomas (14) & Monk (16) discs - these will be mighty short if it's just the 10" tracks

Does the Wilen (20) disc contain 15 titles as in the Vogue black digipak release (ie alternate takes) - BTW AFAIK this was never released as a 10" LP

If the Wilen disc does contain all 15, it would be worth buying the box just for this disc - going for decent sums now

This site seems to have a bit more detail: http://klassik.sonymusic.de/Various/Jazz-On-Vogue-The-Perfect-Collection-35-Original-Albums/P/2690812

The Konitz is 11 tracks (some alternate takes) and clocks in at closer to 35 minutes.

There are a number of CDs that are really on the light side, including the Monk, Mulligan, the Schifrin, On the other hand, the Wilen does have all 15 tracks, and it appears to be a straight reissue of Tilt.

I'm just torn. The presentation is so much nicer than what I have currently (and there is at least some material I don't have), but would it really have killed them to include some of the sets on the Bebop in Paris 1 and 2? The Foster, Gryce and McGhee sets are all fairly short and wouldn't have been out of place filling in some of the shorter CDs.

I think I just have to hold back and see if the price comes down or a used set comes up before I take the plunge.

I bought one from Amazon Germany a few days ago (it was the best option for me between Amazon UK, France & Germany)

The Box was 38.15 euros but came down to 32.06E after VAT was removed plus 12.28 Euros shipping to Australia (may be less to the US?)

Total of 44.34 euros (approx 57.5 Australian $$'s which would be virtually the same in US $)

Edited by romualdo

So what's the most economical and practical way to get this box if you live in the USA and can't read German?

You should be able to go through the moves just as on amazon.com, login also should work, address and all should be there already ... if you need help, drop me a pm, but I'm signing off for the night just now.

So what's the most economical and practical way to get this box if you live in the USA and can't read German?

You should be able to go through the moves just as on amazon.com, login also should work, address and all should be there already ... if you need help, drop me a pm, but I'm signing off for the night just now.

Got it done, thanks. 32.03eu + 5.46eu shipping to USA, so 37.49eu total, which is $49.50. Amex will add on their $2.50 or so, which puts it at $52 for 35 albums on 20 CD's.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got my copy of this new box. It is a handsomely presented set. Love the replicas of the original album covers and labels. And I've just listened to only 1 CD, but the sound seems very good too. I hope there will be further volumes -- ones that include the sessions with Don Byas, Lucky Thompson, Hans Koller, Lars Gullin, Zoot Sims, and George Wallington. Wouldn't that be nice!

I'd not hold my breath ... but yeah, and if they include "Zodiac" I will get the next box, too - that's for sure!

They did take a few silly decisions here though, I find - like including halves or thirds of previous discs.

I didn't check, but does it say anything about remasterings? I'd have expected this box to use the ones from the "Original Vogue Masters" series (ca. 1997-2000 mostly, and sounding alright to my ears).

Inside the front cover of the booklet, it says: "Mastered by Mathieu Bameulle and Jean-Pierre Chalbos (La Source Mastering, Paris, France)". That's it as far as the mastering info.

Yes, some discs are very slight and could easily have included more, whereas some discs are quite generously filled. Strange editorial decisions. I really wished that they had a disc or two of Don Byas.

One can only hope for another box!

Edited by Bol

Indeed, Byas wasn't served too well so far ... there was another disc of his predating the black digipack series, but I never actually saw it for sale anywhere. I'd still love someone serious re-do those cheapo Definitive boxes and compile all his American and European sessions from those years - there's lots of wonderful music to be found there!

Yes, some discs are very slight and could easily have included more, whereas some discs are quite generously filled. Strange editorial decisions. I really wished that they had a disc or two of Don Byas.

One can only hope for another box!

What I noticed was that where they combined multiple sessions on a single disc in the box, the sessions were always related to each other in some way (usually leader). They did not combine totally unrelated sessions to use the full capacity of the CD's. Not my choice as a consumer, but at the price this box goes for, no complaints on my part, and I really hope they do a second box. Byas has indeed been poorly served in reissues. Hard to believe Proper never did a box on him. I have three different sets of his 40's-early 50's stuff, with some redundancy on them.

• 3 months later...