caiman or casacaiman on Amazon or half

dova

Hello: Just a little warning that this seller who is on Amazon & Half does not stock a lot of what they post for sale and they always have the cheapest price and say it is sealed. I ordered a couple of things successfully from them in the past but finally gave up when my latest transaction was charged to my credit card and low and behold, they did not even have it in stock. After numerous e-mails and sweet talk, I got my refund. Just curious if anyone else had an experience with this seller, or know any background on them. Thanks!

dova

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had nothing but excellent service from this Seller. If I am looking for something through Amazon Marketplace and I see that Casa has it, I am more likely to go with them. Part of that is the fact that they ship from Florida so it gets here sooner, usually, but seriously, I have never had such a disappointing experience.

I've bought a couple OJC's from casacaiman on half.com before, and never had any problems (at least not yet). Items came sealed as promised.

But I too have wondered if they really had everything they supposedly had listed. If so, their inventory must be HUGE, and their prices are always about what I would expect for wholesale.

I've ordered a lot of things from them. I've found that their stock information isn't always accurate or up-to-date. When they have something, it is shipped very quickly and is brand-new. Occasionally, if an item doesn't ship quickly (the Amazon Marketplace sellers are supposed to ship within 2 business days), I'll get impatient and email them, and often will cancel the order. They're usually very quick about processing a refund.

They're also good about returns of defective CD's. I received one and emailed them, and immediately received a response with a link to a COD return label. I had to inquire by email a couple of weeks after I sent it back, but they did then send me a new one.

You can get to any Amazon Marketplace seller's listing page for an item through a rather circuitous route, and I try to check Caiman's before I order to see if they list more than 1 of something in stock (they often have more than one listing of something at different prices, I think because of their inefficient stock control system). My impression from many dealings with them, and from reading lots of feedback about them, is that they don't intentionally try to mislead about stock availability. I think their stock control system just isn't the most efficient, and leads to occasional situations where they don't have in stock something they've listed on Amazon. But I've never found them to be unresponsive to inquiries or requests for refunds.

And about the "sealed" issue: everything I get from them appears to be brand-new (I'm very particular about that and inspect all CD's and cases/inserts thoroughly). Once or twice I've gotten an import from them that, although appearing to be brand new, was not "sealed" (i.e., wrapped in plastic). I inquired about it, and they stated that imports often do not come wrapped. I've seen this stated in several other places and by other merchants, and have no reason to doubt it. As I said, it's only happened once or twice with Caiman, out of tens of purchases, and as I recall the last time it happened the CD was a European Blue Note which appeared in all other ways to be brand spankin' new.

Dan: I'm thinking about giving them another chance and am pleased with the feedback received on this topic. I was starting to see that a lot of items I searched for, this seller kept appearing and have been leary of them. I appreciate everyone's feedback!

dova...

I have always had good experiences with caiman/casacaiman and tend to order from them first... utnil recently. They advertised the Japanese import of the Candoli Brothers' TWO FOR THE MONEY... I ordered it... my credit card was charged... and nearly six weeks later I'm still waiting. I e-mailed them after the "media mail" date expired, and they informed me that the item was on backorder. In the meantime, I'm going to ask them to refund my credit card charge. There was no indication in their listing that the item was special-order. (Also just frustrated b/c this CD is proving so damned hard to find!)

I also have an item that was supposedly in-stock that is now on back order from Caiman.com.

I ordered it on November 6, 2004 alongside some other things and received all but the one quite promptly. I wrote to them on November 25 and was informed that it was now on back order. At that time I was told "it will take 2 or 3 weeks to ship". I let it ride - well, kids, it's now February 7, 2005 - that's over three months. I have not heard a word from in the meantime.

And yes, my credit card has been charged - aren't sellers only supposed to charge when the items SHIPS?

Interesting that I'm not the only one who has encountered this problem.

If I knew it would be a special order, that's one thing. I might or might not have gone ahead - but when it's IN STOCK!!!! - I assume it will be quick and easy, which is how everything else went.

I have no sympathy for problems as simple as inventory - if you can't click the button to remove an item when it sells - come on!

Mike

Edited by Michael Fitzgerald

The fact that cards get charged makes me wonder-what's the deal for Amazon Marketplace sellers? Do they just pay a fee to Amazon or does Amazon get a cut of the credit card?

Cause, if that's what happens, Amazon is getting a buck or two on those card charges when the customer has to wait and then make an effort to make sure they get the credit back.

And yes, my credit card has been charged - aren't sellers only supposed to charge when the items SHIPS?

Isn't this because its being sold through Amazon, so they're using their system to charge it in advance?

I do agree that not keeping track of inventory is pretty lame ... guess I'm lucky that everything I've ordered has been available!

Amazon charges the credit card at time of purchase and transfers funds to the Marketplace seller (probably taking its cut). So refunds are processed by the seller through Amazon. I also agree that the shoddy inventory-control system is lame, and have expressed that repeatedly in Caiman feedback on Amazon. But now knowing about it through lots of experience with Caiman, I still place orders with them (when their price is right) with the understanding that I may cancel it if they don't ship within a few days--they're always good for an immediate refund.

I've bought shedloads of stuff from them via amazon.uk,as the prices are so good-most of the time they arrive within about a week,but occassionally take longer-they don't stock all they advertise,but far as I'm concerned the wait isn't a problem.Amazon here take a cut(17% or so)from non-business sellers,there's a different set-up for businesses,maybe they pay a yearly sub or something.

I actually try to avoid them. I've had at least two and I believe more items go out of stock. Once I eventually got the item. The other time(s) I had to cancel. If there is anyone else with the comparable product at a comparable price, I will go with the other seller instead. But I have occasionally used them and probably will in the future.

On one occasion they kept me in limbo. The item was on "back order" which should never happen when you order from an Amazon seller. They issued a refund after a single query. All other items ordered from them have arrived promptly. So, I'm not leery about ordering from them in the future. They usually have the lowest price so I don't mind the occasional screw-up.

Like so many others, I've had nothing but good experience from this seller - and I've purchased a *ton* of stuff from him on half.com. Recently I got a copy of Kenny Barron's "Landscape" (Japanese import, with Cecil McBee and Al Foster) and had to wait a bit longer for arrival than usual. Not surprising. Aside from that, I've found that items arrive quick from this seller.