caiman or casacaiman on Amazon or half

dova

Basically I have had good service from Caiman .... but recently, ever since ordering a CD (John Lewis) from them on Amazon (France) they have been sending me email letters about my orders in FRENCH! I need Brownie to help me out here .... I really would like to know more about this company; for instance how large are they internationally; do they really have a warehouse in Florida; what is their relationship to Amazon?

Edited by garthsj

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest akanalog

one time i ordered from them and when i didn't get my CD like a month later i checked in and they said it was on backorder-i had not gotten any notification from them the item wasn't actually in stock. i asked if they would therefore refund my "expedited shipping" request and give me free shipping since they had not bothered to notify me that the CD was on backorder and i had been waiting for it and obviously it was not coming in expedited fashion. but customer service refused to give me free shipping (for one CD, what is it? like $1.50 about?) so i cancelled the order.

I've purchased 30 - 40 CD's from Caiman and had good service 100% of the time. Only once were they out of stiock on a title and they gave me the option of receiving a refund or waiting for the item to come back in stock. I waited and got the CD because it was a title that had gone out of stock in the past from a small label.

I believe the reason you sometimes see multiple listings for the same item is because they may offer the itm for sale from different suppliers who wholesale at different prices. That is probably also why some items they sell has expidited shipping option and some do not because some items their supplier actually ships the CD to the customer for them and it depends on the shipping options the supplier orders.

Many times Caiman has had CD's in stock that no one else has, including remaining stocks of out of print items.

No one in this thread mentioned CD Connection - I did in another posting:

Posting

A great company to purchase from in my estimation. This is not a commercial - like you all I buy a lot of music and I like to purchase from places that actually have the item in stock as opposed to Amazon or many times CD Universe.

re: CD Connection.

ordered an "in stock" item recently and teamed it w/ another disc for $hipping $ake. The "in stock" item turned out not to be, so I cancelled the order having tabbed their "let me know if incomplete" box prior to shipping. They charged me a re-stock fee to then cancel the other item. BOO! it was in the fine print though so beware! Not a Dusty Groove sort of thing to do by any means.

I ordered a couple of things successfully from them in the past but finally gave up when my latest transaction was charged to my credit card and low and behold, they did not even have it in stock.

I have had nothing but problems with them. They even charged me for a preorder and then informed me weeks later (after I contacted them) that they did not have it in stock:

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, June 25, 2004 6:28 AM

Subject: In Ref.. order from Caiman.com

Dear Customer,

We regret to inform you that at this time, the item Third Season [Audio CD]

Hank Mobley you ordered is in back order.

It will take 2 to 3 weeks to ship.

If you wish, we can cancel your order or keep it open.

Please let me know.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Claire

Customer Service

I'm glad to hear that someone is having a good experience with them, because that has not been the case with my dealings with them. To charge someone for a preorder without having the item in stock, IMO, amounts to attempted theft, even if they are good at issuing a refund upon request.

Edited by martini

To charge someone for a preorder without having the item in stock, IMO, amounts to attempted theft, even if they are good at issuing a refund upon request.

I think credit cards are charged (regardless of actual availablity at caiman) because Half.com or Amazon.com initiates transcations. I only bought CDs from them once, but when I got a wrong item, they quickly send me a refund.

To charge someone for a preorder without having the item in stock, IMO, amounts to attempted theft, even if they are good at issuing a refund upon request.

I think credit cards are charged (regardless of actual availablity at caiman) because Half.com or Amazon.com initiates transcations. I only bought CDs from them once, but when I got a wrong item, they quickly send me a refund.

That is correct. Earlier in this thread, I posted a link to Caiman's page explaining how Amazon Marketplace sales work, but I'll post it again here. As I said before, I think a lot of complaints I've seen about Caiman and other Amazon Marketplace sellers (such as about charging credit cards at the time an order is placed) are mistakenly directed at the individual seller, when it's Amazon's system that is the culprit.

As I wrote, this company IS one of those who still claims something is In Stock even when I've been waiting for over three months and after they've apologized and told me "2 to 3 weeks". Also worth noting that THEY didn't tell me this, I had to ASK. Most others send periodic updates on back orders. I've never gotten one from these folks. And they've ALREADY GOT MY MONEY.

And yes, companies need a system that removes something from inventory when it's been shipped. Am I wrong or have PLENTY of other vendors figured out this simple concept? Someone - maybe it's Tower - has "In Stock" "Low Stock" "On Order" "Special Order" those kinds of things - and others have REAL shipping information - so "1-2 days" MEANS 1-2 days and "2-3 weeks" MEANS 2-3 weeks.

It should be a GIVEN that the system works. We don't need threads that say "I went to the store and bought a bottle of milk AND I got home and it was there and I drank it!" What we do need is notification when it doesn't. I am glad to learn more about this particular situation. As I wrote, all but one of my items showed up just as planned, but it's how that ONE exception was dealt with that is problematic.

Mike

I also have an item that was supposedly in-stock that is now on back order from Caiman.com.

I ordered it on November 6, 2004 alongside some other things and received all but the one quite promptly. I wrote to them on November 25 and was informed that it was now on back order. At that time I was told "it will take 2 or 3 weeks to ship". I let it ride - well, kids, it's now February 7, 2005 - that's over three months. I have not heard a word from in the meantime.

And yes, my credit card has been charged - aren't sellers only supposed to charge when the items SHIPS?

Interesting that I'm not the only one who has encountered this problem.

If I knew it would be a special order, that's one thing. I might or might not have gone ahead - but when it's IN STOCK!!!! - I assume it will be quick and easy, which is how everything else went.

I have no sympathy for problems as simple as inventory - if you can't click the button to remove an item when it sells - come on!

Mike

This is the same experience I had with this seller

:angry:

I wouldn't have a problem with the credit card system if the item listed as "In Stock" was truly In Stock. It would mean charging a day or two ahead - not "two to three weeks" or - three months and counting.

That's the fundamental flaw.

Mike

Yes, but it is quite difficult to keep track of EVERY single item in stock

if your pool of CDs is huge - as is theirs. If you get a notice that says that

your CD is currently out of stock, you have the option to wait or cancel your order.

After you cancel it, you get a refund. I don't see the problem.

This is the "problem". The on line stores are "offering" a product to sale. We "accept" their offer. Bingo.....contract. The on line store has to ship.....We have to pay. If either of those two things do not happen........There is a breach(problem) and the other side has the right to damages. The seller has the right to the agreed price.....the Buyer has the right to the benefit of his bargain. If the seller "sells" something he doesn't have, then he should have to go into the open market and purchase a replacement product for whatever he has to pay.

That is the problem. You don't sell things you do not own. It is called fraud in many places. Oh yea, wanna by the Brooklyn Bridge for a millon or so? I could hold your money for 30 days and gladly return it when requested. Wonder what the interest is on a million for 30 days?

This is poor business practices in anybody's book.In today's world there is no reason not to know what you have in stock. If you don't own it; don't sell it. Pretty simple.

Look, it really is a simple concept -

As a retailer you have a list of things that you have "on order" from some supplier (#1).

You also have a list of things "in stock" (#2).

You also have a list of things "purchased" by someone (#3).

You take list #3 and compare it to list #2 (which theoretically should be what the purchaser selected from anyway). If for some reason, something *isn't* found, you put it on list #1. But for Christ's sake, you had better change list #2 if the item really wasn't in stock. When the supplier supplies, it goes off of list #1 and onto list #2 and you then (again) check list #2 against list #3 - automatically by computer hopefully. At which point it goes into the mail and off of list #2.

Periodically you do physical inventory checks and you change list #2 to make it an accurate reflection of what's in stock. Periodically you investigate back orders (and it's a nice courtesy to keep your customers informed).

I've worked at a record store, I know this system works.

Mike

It's called computerization - y'know, bar codes and all that. Nobody is "writing down" stuff. The computer keeps track and humans do monthly inventories against printouts from the computer. Whatever sells out gets re-ordered.

Maybe in other places people are still using vacuum tubes to pass notes from one department to another, but where I come from, even the little sheet music store has computerized inventory.

Theft does occur, sure - but WHEN you are notified of a problem, it gets fixed in the system. "Hey, we're supposed to have five of these and I only found four." Well, you change the 5 to a 4 in the system.

Or how about this:

"Hey, this guy Fitzgerald ordered XYZ and we didn't have it even though it says it's in stock."

"Well, just ignore it and see if he bothers us about it. We've already got his money."

"Hey, that guy Fitzgerald bothered us about the XYZ he ordered and paid for and still hasn't received."

"Well, tell him it's 'on order'. 2-3 weeks."

"OK. But this still says we have XYZ in stock. Um, shouldn't we adjust the inventory?"

"Listen here, Wynand, you don't run things around here."

Mike

I think you are misrepresenting Casa's system.

They do not wait for you to complain, when they discover that something was sold and is not available, they do order it.

Their communication in these situations can be greatly improved and yes, their are inventory problems.

But there's no evidence whatsoever that they wait for someone to complain before they try to get the CD in question.

Look, you pay your money and you takes your chances. If you've let them keep your money on unavailable CDs for three months, its as much your fault as it is theirs.

Other people here seem to understand how it works, and they request (and receive) refunds when it becomes apparent that something cannot be found. Waiting three months ... I'd say you're a co-dependent in this dysfunctional relationship.

Or else, you really don't care that much about the fact that your card was charged, and you are perfectly happy leaving the order open, wondering if they every find the CD or issue a credit.

Where is the evidence that they order it?

What I have seen is NO notification UNTIL I ask.

Where is the incentive for them to do ANYTHING? Like I said, they've got my money already.

Yes, I have left the order open hoping that it will come through. Who knows, maybe as soon as I cancel it, it will arrive there. ("Seinfeld, four!") I'm not strapped for $15 or whatever it is.

If they were responsible and accurate about changing the "In Stock" note on the item, then maybe I could cancel and wait until it changed to "In Stock" again and then re-submit my order. But I can't. They *still* say it's In Stock.

The evidence is that one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.

Maybe other people have low expectations. That's fine for them. But in the meantime, all my $15 has bought me is the right to complain. And I intend to get my money's worth....

Mike

As previously mentioned, I've had good luck with this outfit. But there's no way I want to go through what Michael has gone through. I'm not buying anything "rare" from those guys.

It may not be a perfect world, but I don't think Michael's demands are by any means unreasonable. If I order something that was listed but is not in stock then unless they email me back with that info promptly, they're getting a neutral or negative feedback. I don't have much patience for this stuff. I've got to be efficient in my job, and I expect the same from a powerful and large dealer like that.

It may not be a perfect world, but I don't think Michael's demands are by any means unreasonable.  If I order something that was listed but is not in stock then unless they email me back with that info promptly, they're getting a neutral or negative feedback.  I don't have much patience for this stuff.  I've got to be efficient in my job, and I expect the same from a powerful and large dealer like that.

Well said, Conn!

And I empathize with Michael, as this exact same situation has happened to me (as I detailed back on page 3 or so). And trust me, Rostasi, the conversation you described most definitely did NOT occur in my case... as I said, I had to threaten a lawsuit to get my money back!

Maybe I just had a string of bad luck with these folks, since many of you here report nothing but good experiences... I hope they continue for all who use them!

Cheers,

Shane

Edited by Indestructible!