Gil Evans & Ten

mikeweil

Got me the Fantasy SACD Hybrid of Gil Evans & Ten yesterday - the first issue to use the rediscovered stereo tapes. The sound quality is drastically improved, even on the CD layer. Prestige's first stereo session. I understand they originally did not issue in stereo as there was only a small market for stereo LPs in 1957, but then why were these tapes presumed lost for so many years? Just the usual tape vault mess?

Anybody knows the story behind this?

Got me the Fantasy SACD Hybrid of Gil Evans & Ten yesterday - the first issue to use the rediscovered stereo tapes. The sound quality is drastically improved, even on the CD layer. Prestige's first stereo session. I understand they originally did not issue in stereo as there was only a small market for stereo LPs in 1957, but then why were these tapes presumed lost for so many years? Just the usual tape vault mess?

Anybody knows the story behind this?

Tis my understanding the tapes were never lost. The massive number of edits to create the mono masters was (previously) impossible to recreate in stereo. At the very least, it would be a huge pain in the ass. Current digital techniques made the stereo version possible.

This session was released with fairly drastic tape doctoring..

is this new issue also made from manipulated tracks.. or do these "newly" discovered tapes give us a chance to hear this music in it's "virgin" condition?

Anybody know?

I certainly hope they duplicated the original tape work. It should be issued as Gil wanted it to be heard.

Tis my understanding the tapes were never lost. The massive number of edits to create the mono masters was (previously) impossible to recreate in stereo. At the very least, it would be a huge pain in the ass. Current digital techniques made the stereo version possible.

Is this what Phil Schaap takes credit for on the Miles and Gil Box set? He implies it's some sort of secret process.

• 1 year later...