New Steely Dan

Just played this through,doesn't hit the heights of the best moments of Two Against Nature but yet to "road test" it(in the dark,of course,do they compose on the freeway?).Fagen's on the money as ever lyric wise,Keith Carlock tight behinf the kit and Walter even sings on one track.Walt Weiskopf does a decent turn in the sax chair(Chris Potter turns up for one track)-big footsteps he's treading in(re,Phil Woods,Shorter, etc.).The title track stood out the most yet does it point to a swansong:

"Talk about the famous road not taken

In the end we never took it

And if somewhere along the way

We got a few good licks in

No one's ever gonna know

'Cause we're going out of business

Everything must Go"

If so thanks for the memory guys!

My first impression was quite positive. Of course, I've so far listened to it only once, with the TV on and kids yelling. I agree that the real test will be to make a car tape and drive to it (which is basically how I got heavily into The Nightfly). Did your copy have an extra disc that turns out to be a DVD? I grabbed mine so fast at Amoeba that I didn't notice this until I got home. The DVD is just a sequence of them in a cab, driving around Las Vegas, chatting with various pretty young women who get in. A very unnecessary and pointless extra.

Of course, I've so far listened to it only once, with the TV on and kids yelling. 

:g This made me laugh outloud. Our girls are in college now but, man, do I remember trying to listen to music when they were younger. Thanks for the memory, Bruce. ;)

I just got the new SD cd. Have heard only one track. More later.