The troll who infests JC

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To play devil's advocate further, who would we cast as the "spokesman for jazz," whether official or unofficial? Do we even need a spokesman? Who would we consider both "artistic" and "comercial" enough these days? Jarrett? Metheny? Krall? (;)) It seems to me that most of the "innovations" these days are occuring on the fringes, outside of commercial success.

Who was the spokesman of jazz from 1900 to 1980?

No one, as far as I can tell. No one was speaking on behalf of the entire artform. Individuals did their thing. Louis Armstrong was there, but wasn't heading some coalition. Duke Ellington talked about HIS own music. There were some occasional pronouncements - Kenton comes to mind. Don Ellis too. Blakey had his sermons. But they were all in the context of their own spheres. No one had the backing of a multi-million dollar institution booking artists, commissioning composers, etc. When Kenton tried getting ambitious (L.A. Neophonic), it flopped.

Jazz doesn't need a spokesman. Or maybe it needs a LOT of them, not one.

Marsalis doesn't represent jazz in my world, so life goes on. It's just annoying that in newspapers and TV he shows up so disproportionately.

Mike

I don't think we need a spokesman for jazz. I would settle for media recognition of its existence outside of LC--in fact, it would be nice of the music industry (including NARAS) opened its ears to the many fine players who are on the scene today. Let's face it, Krall and N. Jones sell records because they are sufficiently bland to suit the taste of a public that is kept ignorant by tin-eared media and a recording industry that sells and hawks "product" without quality control.

Jazz would speak for itself if given the opportunity.

Amen to that.

Jim your Feb. 13, 1:44 p.m. post is excellent. The group most largely impacted by Wynton's mission are students and beginners. The Lincoln Center Band sells out concert halls all over the world with huge student audiences. Some of the audiences in Europe, as seen in video clips on WM's web site, look like soccer crowds (Marciac, esp).

He arrived at a moment when jazz was passing from a living musical expression to by and large an institutionalized art form, and much of that institutionalization is occurring in the ill defined but prevalent 'jazz in schools' movement, and that's more North Texas than 'Bama State Collegians.

We live in the age of competence on your instrument but where are the bands? Where's the evolution of ideas within those bands? There are handfuls now where there was once abundance. Much of the attention is focused on transcription -- as people who come to Wynton's defense will call you out on that first, like being able to WRITE IT DOWN LIKE CLASSICAL MUSIC proves some higher value -- but what is being learned by transcription? That technique for study has been around since recordings. It just seems that today's listener or student will write out a solo and that's enough. They've learned the solo, but they haven't learned what it is communicating, or don't think to consider it in that fashion, i.e. the music part. Remember that Ellington tune from one of his small band sides in the 50's, "Where's the Music"? It wasn't on paper, and it was barely even a sketch, but there it was: The Ellington Effect, again.

Different world, different scene.

And by the way I think Larry Kart does a great job of comparing the short comings of Wynton's writing as compared to Duke's (and who doesn't fall short of THAT mark?) in his book Jazz In Search of Itself in case there are any out there who need that sort of specificity in order to feel someone has the right to disagree.

Let's face it, Krall and N. Jones sell records because they are sufficiently bland to suit the taste of a public that is kept ignorant by tin-eared media and a recording industry that sells and hawks "product" without quality control.

"My books are water; those of the great geniuses are wine -- everybody drinks water." - Mark Twain ( not sure if he really said that, but it usually attributed to him ).

I would just, personally, hereby like to volunteer to be the spokesman for jazz - and I will do it without renumeration (well, maybe I'll pass the hat from time to time). But I will do it and I will do it gladly. Check this board for future pronouncements (and please let me know if I spelled "hereby" correctly).

I would just, personally, hereby like to volunteer to be the spokesman for jazz - and I will do it without renumeration (well, maybe I'll pass the hat from time to time). But I will do it and I will do it gladly. Check this board for future pronouncements (and please let me know if I spelled "hereby" correctly).

Tell you what: you sell that Nat King Cole set you're offering, and you've got the job! ;)