Who's up to listen to Dr. Lonnie Smith

Dmitry

Wednesday, June 11th: $15.00/6:30 p.m. one set only

Early Set @ The Jazz Gallery with Dr. Lonnie Smith-organ, Peter Bernstein-guitar, Fukushi Tainaka-drums.

It is a pleasure to welcome Dr. Lonnie Smith to inaugurate our newly acquired Hammond B-3 organ. Since the mid-sixties, both as accompanist for George Benson and on releases under his own name, he has been a major figure in defining this instrument's place in jazz. Whether under the rubric of "soul-jazz" / "funk-jazz" or whatever the designation, Dr. Lonnie Smith can lay into a groove and sustain it in ways that are both viscerally and cerebrally satisfying. His recordings as a leader--most frequently on Blue Note and Music Masters--have, over the years, featured such artists as Fathead Newman, Lee Morgan and Grover Washington Jr. He has for many years now been heard regularly in Lou Donaldson's band. And, in that band, the enormously talented Peter Bernstein has played a lusciously alert guitar. Though clearly influenced by the great Wes Montgomery, Peter's accumulating discography--including five dates as a leader--makes clear that he is defining himself in ways that go well beyond that one influence. His righteous chops have been honed through regular work in the bands of Larry Goldings, Jesse Davis and Jimmy Cobb, among many others. As with Dr. Lonnie and Peter, drummer Fukushi Tainaka now has a regular place in Lou Donaldson's band. All in all a wonderful way to welcome the organ to its new home.

So, attendance is required at this last-until-next-Fall edition of The Early Set.

Did anyone go to this? I'd be interested in a review by one of our esteemed group.

Also, check out Lonnie Smith's new CD where he covers Beck tunes. I saw it in the store on Friday and I've been listening to it all weekend. I think it's called "Boogaloo to Beck."