Grant Green's Live at Club Mozambique

Hardbopjazz

Back on the old BNBB I remember a discussion that this session was good enough to be released. I know the master tapes were lost to the ages, but there are other copies of the show that could be used. Are there any plans by Blue Note to release this session?

I actually heard some of this over at Bob Belden's house about a year ago. He was trying to stump me, but couldn't when it came to soul jazz! :P Anyway, he played this for me and I said "I think that must be that unreleased Grant from the Mozambique." "Damn, I can't believe you got that!" he said.

Sounded GREAT! Can't believe Blue Note hasn't released this stuff. Kicks "Alive"'s ass by a long shot.

Guest ariceffron

you guys are crazy blue notes never gonna reissue that--- why dont you have bob copy it so you can seed it out to the board members. that would be more efficent than hoping someday blue note will release it, which they wont

Of course! We could just have Bob Belden send private copies of all of this unreleased and rejected material that we've been craving to all board members, with the solemn vow that we will not make any copies for our friends. Why didn't we think of this before?

I would like the rejected Wayne Shorter, Lee Morgan, Jackie McLean and Kenny Dorham sessions, plus of course the Tyrone Washington train wreck.

Too bad Belden doesn't actually work for Blue Note anymore.

Bertrand.

Of course! We could just have Bob Belden send private copies of all of this unreleased and rejected material that we've been craving to all board members, with the solemn vow that we will not make any copies for our friends. Why didn't we think of this before?

I would like the rejected Wayne Shorter, Lee Morgan, Jackie McLean and Kenny Dorham sessions, plus of course the Tyrone Washington train wreck.

Too bad Belden doesn't actually work for Blue Note anymore.

Bertrand.

Ouch!

I remember the discussion about the Club Mozambique material. The word from Blue Note was that only mono masters existed, but that the music was good, and that it definitely was going to be released. Haven't heard anything after that.

Another one that was going to come out was "Gene Harris of The Three Sounds" from 1972. I think there was specific mention of lost guitar parts being restored, and I have written down 2001 as release year for it (probably in 2000). But it hasn't seen the light of day hitherto either.

And while we're at it, there is also an unissued Grant Green studio session from May 1970 ('Green Acid'). The last time I saw it listed it was marked as unissued, not rejected. There has not been much talk about that one; does anyone know more about its status?

• 1 year later...

I heard again recently that this was coming out, and soon. Anybody else hear this?

Great, I hope this is true. :excited: Haven't heard anything further though.

I got an e-mail from Mosaic on 6 March. This is what it said.

"All that has survived on the Mozambique gig is 7 1/2 ips rough mix

tapes.

Blue Note has transferred them all and will eventually issued the best

performances on a CD or two. The sound is pretty poor thought."

I don't know what rough mix tapes are. But I'll buy it under any circumstances.

MG

And while we're at it, there is also an unissued Grant Green studio session from May 1970 ('Green Acid'). The last time I saw it listed it was marked as unissued, not rejected. There has not been much talk about that one; does anyone know more about its status?

I had forgotten about that. Looks like a very good session to me.

Claude Bartee, Manny Riggins, Herbie Lewis, Idris Muhammad - great band.

I can't leave your love alone

Let yourself go (a true funk workout I should think)

Love on a two way street (GG did another version on "Visions")

Green acid

Raindrops keep fallin'

Something (that would be a good tune for GG)

Let it rain

I guess this is another one to ask about.

MG

I had forgotten about that. Looks like a very good session to me.

Claude Bartee, Manny Riggins, Herbie Lewis, Idris Muhammad - great band.

I can't leave your love alone

Let yourself go (a true funk workout I should think)

Love on a two way street (GG did another version on "Visions")

Green acid

Raindrops keep fallin'

Something (that would be a good tune for GG)

Let it rain

I guess this is another one to ask about.

MG

Claude Bartee is a favorite... nice to see Herbie here. And is 'Let it Rain' the Clapton tune?

as with the mozambique session I had said this before I am sure but the notes on Person release from there refer to tv recordings being of them all playing together ....anybody know any more on this

I would love either of these to come out and good to know they are thinking of it what ever the sound recording quality I would snap em up in a ....erm ...snap!

as with the mozambique session I had said this before I am sure but the notes on Person release from there refer to tv recordings being of them all playing together ....anybody know any more on this

?

There aren't any notes on Houston Person's "The real thing" - well, not on my edition (Eastbound 2EB9010), anyway.

MG

aha...found the blighter!

It was something I read on a Houston Person compilation called Personality (on bgp) The writer (John Crosby)in reference to the live set said

' the bulk of the material came from two vibrant nights of 'live' recordings made at Detroit's Watts'Club Mozambique (an event evidently filmed, probably for a local TV special"

Now that was what I was on about....I would LOVE to hear or see that for one as it is a killer session in my opinion...but on TV WOW! :blink:

Grant Green Jack Mcduff and Houston

Anyone know any more?

Surely somebody out there must a heard of it...if they new for the cd????

Somebody>>??

aha...found the blighter!

It was something I read on a Houston Person compilation called Personality (on bgp) The writer (John Crosby)in reference to the live set said

' the bulk of the material came from two vibrant nights of 'live' recordings made at Detroit's Watts'Club Mozambique (an event evidently filmed, probably for a local TV special"

Now that was what I was on about....I would LOVE to hear or see that for one as it is a killer session in my opinion...but on TV WOW! :blink:

Grant Green Jack Mcduff and Houston

Anyone know any more?

Surely somebody out there must a heard of it...if they new for the cd????

Somebody>>??

Blimey! Struth! And WILD BILL MOORE AND ELI FOUNTAIN PISSIN' ALL OVER Houston Person! I'd love to see that.

MG