cd storage for large collections

okay I gather from our discussions about various box sets, that some of us here have very large either LP and/or CD collections... For those of you who have large collections - I'm talking over 1000 LPs and/or CD's, what do you do for storage????

I'm looking for a better way to store my stuff....

thanks

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The can-am option is really not that unreasonable.

My father does a lot of woodworking / furniture making and we have discussed several options for CD storage. My current "wood shelves" unit was his creation.

Recently, we discussed a chest of drawers design similar to the can-am units, only it would be made of wood and a bit more decorative. The hardware alone was going to run a couple hundred dollars and I think our cost estimates were somewhere around $500.

I have a bunch of these Ikea towers that run about $40 each and hold 180 cds each. They're about as tall as a doorway and sit nicely against the wall.

Eventually I plan on going the Can-Am route.

Edited by Noj

I have a large Can-Am unit and I love it. I used to have a very nice wall unit and while it made it easier to read the titles and pick out stuff to spin, there was some fading on the spines. A lot of my CBS/Columbia CDs with red print faded pretty bad. I also had a lot of dust along the top. Well, there was also no way to store my odd-shaped sets... hmm, more drawbacks than I remember. Needless to say, the Can-Ams have been a help.

My wife still hates them though. :)

Later,

Kevin

My wife hates my Can-Am's too. When I bought them, I still had thousands of CD's. I sold most of my collection 10 years ago to help pay my way through college. So now they sit in the garage. I am working my way back though. I could probably fill one up again, but I still have 2 extra units just like the one above along with the LP stand in forest green. Anyone interested?

Hey! I see those Kenny G and Dave Koz CDs...

no, but there are eric marienthal, spyro gyra, and rippingtons discs.

no joke...

wish it were,

-e-

Yep.

I went through that phase as well.

If you look elsewhere in my place (yes, there are more shelves) you will also find death and speed metal, a German oompah disc to scare unwanted guests away (I don't use it much because it actually attracts the wrong people), there are Madonna, Mariah Carey and Celine Dion discs, recordings (I collect those) of Mussorgsky's "Night on the Bold Mountain" in its original orchestration, etc.

Just to freak everyone out here, I just added the entire first run of the Status Quo Remasters (Quo, Piledriver, Hello!, On the Level, Blue for You, Live!) :w:w:tup:tup:tup:tup and 4 Cecilia Bartoli recordings. How's that for eclectic?

Cheers!

P.S.: If you look again, there is actually one Kenny G. album in there. Ha!

P.S.S.: As you can tell, I don't sell discs really. But I'm thinking of it. That whole easy listening and fusion stuff I haven't heard for 10 years or more.

I live in a rather huge apartment beneath the roof of a three storey house.

I have lots of (don't know the English term) slanted roof corners which usually are a waste of space. So, I filled those corners up with CD shelves. They are all IKEA "Ivar" shelves (lowest version available) and if I move one day, I just need to buy new side-pieces (which can be had in 5 different heights up until above 2 meters) and I will go tall instead of wide. The cost for that is a laugh. I think one tall side-piece costs 5 to 10 Euro.

Oh, and I do have more shelves elsewhere. Might post a pic one of these days.

Cheers!

Thanks to those who posted the Can-Am info--I'll have to check that out more closely, since I have a hodge-podge of units that store anywhere from about 50 to over 600 CDs.

Quick question for you long-time CD collectors--I've always heard that CDs should be stored vertically (i.e., on edge), rather than horizontally (lying flat). Since I have a couple of storage units/towers that store them horizontally (in their jewel cases), I'm wondering if anyone has had problems with CDs being damaged due to storing them in this manner.

Thanks to those who posted the Can-Am info--I'll have to check that out more closely, since I have a hodge-podge of units that store anywhere from about 50 to over 600 CDs.

Quick question for you long-time CD collectors--I've always heard that CDs should be stored vertically (i.e., on edge), rather than horizontally (lying flat). Since I have a couple of storage units/towers that store them horizontally (in their jewel cases), I'm wondering if anyone has had problems with CDs being damaged due to storing them in this manner.

Vertically or horizontally doesn't matter. If you have a closer look at a normal jewelcase, it's built so that the CD does not touch the case itself. So, no problem.

If you take the CDs out though and store them in bags etc., you should of course not pile them up.

Cheers!