cd storage for large collections

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I plan on using discsox to store the CDs that came in regular jewel cases.

I bought 250 sleeves just to try it out and they're great. They fit the back liner, two CDs (for double albums and bonus CDs/DVDs, etc) and the liners. Keeps it all nice and flat. For large collections, jewel cases are a waste of space.

I plan on getting the biggest cabinet that fits 1000 CDs. Hopefully it will be enough.

My box sets are stored on DVD/CD metal racks and book shelves.

• 4 months later...

A pair of these arrived here Thursday. 7676-3.jpg

I had them sitting in the middle of my living room until yesterday when I went through a section of my LPs and plucked a couple hundred albums that I don't need. Once I had the area cleared, I used a hand truck to roll the cabs into the other room and stacked one on top of the other.

Then I spent the rest of the day filling them up. It's nice having all my Jazz in one place, before it was all in various locations around the apt. Jazz was in a small plastic filing cabinet, but sections were located elseware. Sun Ra was over there, Miles was in the other room, Holland and Shorter were stacked on a filing cabinet in living room, Coltrane was in the hallway while Ralph Towner, John Abercrombie and Terje Rypdal were in van down by the river. Now they're all happy together like the Turtles.

About moving them around: I could move them around my apt. with a hand truck but we needed two people to get them up stairs. We took them out of their boxes but my buddy (who owns a couple) said we couldn't remove drawers because they were hard to get back in.

I have to go through the rest of my LPs and see what else can go. Maybe there's room for another pair of these drawers. Then I can use my book shelves for books, not CDs.

Keep in mind that two of these drawers hold much more than normal CD shelves.

find them here.

I just checked the email Eric posted; I didn't realize these things held 270 CDs per drawer.  Maybe they are worth looking into...

Those 3 Drawer Media Cabinets from can-am look kinda expensive compaired to the ones I bought.

I have a two 3-drawer forest green can-am units and an LP caddy I am selling if anyone is interested.

Do you deliver? :cool:

I'm going to be just north of Greenville, MI next week and may even check out Organissimo in Pentwater on the 6th. I'm not sure if everything will fit in our mini-van, but if you are interested, i'll darn sure try!

:( Okay I read this too fast and thought you said you were going to check out Organissimo in the Pentagon.... :blink: I was like UH-OH... time to go erase all my last post.... :) But Phew.... glad I re-read your post....

(no offense to our military brethen....)

:rofl:

I have a two 3-drawer forest green can-am units and an LP caddy I am selling if anyone is interested.

Do you deliver? :cool:

I'm going to be just north of Greenville, MI next week and may even check out Organissimo in Pentwater on the 6th. I'm not sure if everything will fit in our mini-van, but if you are interested, i'll darn sure try!

:(:(

Those 3 Drawer Media Cabinets from can-am look kinda expensive compaired to the ones I bought.

your's look interesting. i wonder how they compare structurally to the can-ams. i didn't see any details on the website you linked. also, they don't offer counter tops to go with their cabinets, do they? i do hope they sell divider kits.

your's look interesting. i wonder how they compare structurally to the can-ams. i didn't see any details on the website you linked. also, they don't offer counter tops to go with their cabinets, do they? i do hope they sell divider kits.

Check their web site for counter tops. We've been using the sturdy carboard from the shipping cartons for dividers. They also sell divider kits.

Use the link. I didn't post it for nothing.

Edited by 7/4

:(  Okay I read this too fast and thought you said you were going to check out Organissimo in the Pentagon....  :blink:  I was like UH-OH... time to go erase all my last post.... :) But Phew.... glad I re-read your post....

(no offense to our military brethen....)

:rofl:

I guess you missed the new live recording...

Edited by Jim Dye

Quite honestly, I used the link and found the info there lacking. Like for instance, is 7677X DIVIDER, ADJUSTABLE "EGGCRATE" the dividers for these units? How many of these 7677X DIVIDER, ADJUSTABLE "EGGCRATE" units are need for each two or three drawer units? It wasn't clear at all from what I clicked.

Also, while they list a 7674 CADDY FOR STORAGE CABINET, they do not list a counter top. The Can-Am counter top is very nice.

All in all, these look like a less-expensive Can-Am. I made up a "chest of drawers" consisting of a three-drawer unit and a two-drawer unit. Assuming I would need two 7677X DIVIDER, ADJUSTABLE "EGGCRATE" for this set-up (which I find unlikely... I'm thinking I'd need more), the price would be $720 incl. shipping. At Can-Am, this would be $962 incl shipping.

I don't know if this price difference would get me to switch. I like my Can-Ams a lot.

Later,

Kevin

I plan on using discsox to store the CDs that came in regular jewel cases.

I bought 250 sleeves just to try it out and they're great.  They fit the back liner, two CDs (for double albums and bonus CDs/DVDs, etc) and the liners.  Keeps it all nice and flat.  For large collections, jewel cases are a waste of space.

I plan on getting the biggest cabinet that fits 1000 CDs.  Hopefully it will be enough.

My box sets are stored on DVD/CD metal racks and book shelves.

Now that's a neat looking site, Take. That 'Heavy Duty DVD Pro Case' for $159 looks like it would be perfect for mini-lps. Wonder how many it'll hold? Don't suppose you've had any experience with (or know of someone) those little jobbers? dvd-pro-case_dim.gif

Actually, weizen, though I've transferred all my CDs to sleeves, I'm holding off on the cabinets for a while until I move (don't know when that will be) and take my stuff (including the bulk of my CD colleciton) out of storage. For now, I bought a couple of their smaller cases to store my audiophile and classical CDs at home.

I do suspect that those cabinets will be great for mini-LPs, though note that some min-LPs are a bit wider than standard jewel cases so those may not fit.

• 1 year later...

687581_fm_md.jpg

i'm glad you're satisfied with Bush's vinyl-covered particle board bookcases. if i didn't have any money, they might work for me too. but if my collection were worth well over $50,000 (based on your estimate of 5,200 cds), i'd spend more than 1% of that figure to house and protect my investment.

5,200 is just what 10 of these bookcases will hold.

I've only got about 2,500 CD's, and maybe closer to 2,000 is what I really consider "important".

I did spend $500 all those cheap bookcases and lumber. But the way I look at it -- that was $500 I could have been spending on more music. In the end, I did by the bookcases and boards, and I'm perfectly happy I did (and so's my wife). But I would have been MUCH less happy if I had spent $1,000 or $1,500 (or more!!) for a more "elegant" solution, when that money could have gone towards other things.

And hey, I'm a cheapskate, and proud of it.

Doesn't mean I won't spend some serious money for quality in some areas (for instance, we have lots of really cool vintage Danish Modern furniture in our house, in several rooms – and some of it didn’t come cheap).

But someplace to store my tunes (upstairs, where most people don’t even see them) wasn't high on my list of places to shell out a ton of cash. (I also drive a 13-year old Honda Accord wagon, that I still love, and hope I can drive another 5 years or more.)

Just a matter of priorities. (And buying the cheap bookcases meant I could afford the more expensive vintage Danish Modern stuff.)

I'm thinking of ordering a Can-Am unit for my new place unless anyone has had bad experiences since this thread sank to the depths and wants to warn me. I'm really tired of having walls covered with shelves filled with cds - it looks really cluttered to me.

On a side note, nice chair, Rooster - I'm really into Danish modern stuff too (as well as American modern - I've got a bit of Nelson, Eames, Noguchi, Sapper, etc in my place). The next time you find yourself in NYC, you should go to ModernLink on Bond street. It is hands down the best store I've ever been to for authentic Danish modern furniture - it really doubles as a museum. It's easily my favorite furniture shop in Manhattan - their original stuff (which you can find on the web) is very cool, but the vintage stuff that they get (not on the web) is really incredible. Also, I assume you know all the really cool websites devoted to Danish design, but here are a couple good ones in case anyone else is interested:

https://ext.kb.dk/F/-?func=option-update-ln...p;p_con_lng=eng

http://www.dmk.dk/furniture/all/