cd storage for large collections

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pitched the jewel cases too. What an insane waste of space they are.

Can you store the back insert from the cd case in the plastic sleeves? Do the sleeves protect the disc well?

I might be tempted to go this route too. It's not like the jewel cases are attractive - they remind me of cassette tape cases.

I pitched the jewel cases too. What an insane waste of space they are.

Can you store the back insert from the cd case in the plastic sleeves? Do the sleeves protect the disc well?

I might be tempted to go this route too. It's not like the jewel cases are attractive - they remind me of cassette tape cases.

I've got plenty of cassettes, too. :) The thing about jewel boxes and K7 cases is that, when your eyesight starts going a bit, you can still read what's on the spines (except for RVGs, dammit).

This is what I got a friend to put up for me on two walls when we moved here nearly 2 years ago.

At present, I've got about 16 running feet spare. Need to think about putting another shelf on top; but I couldn't reach a second extra shelf.

MG

MG

that's pretty sweet , ya gotta admit if you have the space thats the way to go....how many cds are on those

shelves ?

Don't know; I count albums not CDs/LPs/K7s. I've got 2356 albums on CD but some CDs have 2 albums on them and some albums have more than 1 CD. The lower shelves had cassettes on them, not CDs.

We deliberately bought a house with 1 more bedroom than we needed :)

MG

i plan to buy a condo this summer, so i contacted can-am this morning. they're sending me samples of 3 or 4 of their available colors. I may end up getting four 3-drawer cabinets with a mica top for my cds. not sure if i'll get cabinets for the sound equipment and the tv. yep, it'll be 'spensive, but me and my collection are worth it. :g

brown-counter.jpg

i own the exact configuration above, only with two additional 2-drawer sets above the 3-drawer units. i've also had a laminate shelf made to utilitze the top surface. the material can-am uses is much nicer than any office filing cabinets i've seen.

ps: the metal is powder coated to minimize any metallic harshness to touch and sight.

Edited by etherbored

i own the exact configuration above, only with two additional 2-drawer sets above the 3-drawer units. i've also had a laminate shelf made to utilitze the top surface. the material can-am uses is much nicer than any office filing cabinets i've seen.

ps: the metal is powder coated to minimize any metallic harshness to touch and sight.

Thanks - good to hear.

...I'm just a little concerned about them being metal - I hope they don't look like office file cabinets in person...

a valid question for sure. let's put it to those who know. c'mon board members, show us your can-ams! post a picture of your set-up in its natural habitat. extra points awarded to pix that also feature the lovely ladies with whom you share storage space. the shrink luvs classic pinups. ^_^

pinup.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using a combination of shelves for jewel boxes and drawers w/sleeves for cd storage. I have used the case logic sleeves, similar to the discsox sleeves since the late 80s. Some of my older, rarely played discs seem to have a "haze" to them on the playing surface when I have removed them from the sleeves to play. This does not seem to affect the playing of the discs, but makes me wonder if I should change sleeves or go to a slim-style case system. Has anyone using sleeves noticed this? They have been in the upstairs bedroom, along an interior wall for most of their lives, under normal household conditions... Thanks, jw :huh:

Edited by jww

• 1 month later...

My Can-Am cabinets arrived this week. Initial observations:

1) They are very well made

2) Asthetically, they are not something I'd normally choose to have in my living room, but compared to the alternatives, they are fine

3) They are deceptively heavy. Thank god the delivery man was nice enough to help me set them up (which was NOT part of his job).

4) The formica tops are, IMO, atrociously ugly. To *me*, they look MUCH better without them. I hope they aren't too much of a hassle to return, as they are about $200/each. If you are on the fence about the tops, I recommend either not getting them or only getting one to see if you like it before getting enough for you entire set up. Also be aware that with the top on, it is near impossible to get at the last dozen or so discs in the top drawer, as there is 6-8 inches of overhang. Awful, awful, awful - worst mistake I've made all month.

5) Can-Am is sloooooow - I waited about five weeks for my order - I guess that is understandable given that they are a niche market, but still, for the money they charge...

Overall, I'm happier with the Can-Am cabinets than any other system I've had for storing/organizing my cds, but, again IMO, you really have to have the money to burn and a bit of patience to justify buying them.

I have been using a combination of shelves for jewel boxes and drawers w/sleeves for cd storage. I have used the case logic sleeves, similar to the discsox sleeves since the late 80s. Some of my older, rarely played discs seem to have a "haze" to them on the playing surface when I have removed them from the sleeves to play. This does not seem to affect the playing of the discs, but makes me wonder if I should change sleeves or go to a slim-style case system. Has anyone using sleeves noticed this? They have been in the upstairs bedroom, along an interior wall for most of their lives, under normal household conditions... Thanks, jw :huh:

i use this system as well and notice the haze - i thought it was the age of the cd's though and not the sleeves. i have noticed sound degradation with some older cd's and have had to replace them.

I bought four CD storage units from bellacor.com for around $203 each by a manufacturer called Leslie Dane (including shipping) that each hold 1500 CDs (more if you cheat and use the top shelf, which I do for boxed sets and Jazz DVDs). They are only made of pressboard, but they work well and were easy to assemble. Rather than put them against the wall (I already have one entire wall with floor to ceiling custom built shelves (about 21 feet by 8 feet), I put them back to back in the middle of the floor. I'll probably run out of shelf space this summer unless i pull more of my non-jazz stuff.

Edited by Ken Dryden

...Also be aware that with the top on, it is near impossible to get at the last dozen or so discs in the top drawer, as there is 6-8 inches of overhang. Awful, awful, awful - worst mistake I've made all month...

actually, i believe there's only a 4" difference between depth of the mica top and the cabinets (24" and 20" respectively).

There's a 1" overhang on the back and 3" on the front if you put the top on this way:

hg-bench.jpg

now, if you turn the top around, like this, the 1" overhang is in the front!

reception-hg.jpg

our friend kevin discovered this fact too late. he'd love to turn his top around, but there's a big-ass aquarium on it!

i know, i know. who puts an aquarium on top of 3,000 cds? :wacko:

On mine it was at least 6 inches, which is part of what made them look so ridiculous. I don't know if they changed or made a goofy batch or what, but it was a lot of overhang.

The backwards thing isn't a bad idea if you really want to use the formica tops, but then you can't put them against the wall.

Cheap but very effective: go to the yard sales and scout out for chest of drawers. I am currently on my 4th piece. They're not very good for asethics but for storage they can't be beaten.

If your collection isn't big, but I can't imagine having a bunch of different chests of various heights and widths lining the walls...

This is the style unit I purchased earlier from bellacor.com, though I'm not sure whether they still carry it.

I paid $203 (including shipping) for each one.

cd-1500ll.jpg