2005 Jazz Grammy Award Winners

cannonball-addict

Category 45

Best Contemporary Jazz Album

(For albums containing 51% or more playing time of INSTRUMENTAL tracks.)

* Unspeakable

Bill Frisell

[Nonesuch Records]

Category 46

Best Jazz Vocal Album

(For albums containing 51% or more playing time of VOCAL tracks.)

* R.S.V.P. (Rare Songs, Very Personal)

Nancy Wilson

[MCG Jazz]

Category 47

Best Jazz Instrumental Solo

(For an instrumental jazz solo performance. Two equal performers on one recording may be eligible as one entry. If the soloist listed appears on a recording billed to another artist, the latter's name is in parenthesis for identification. Singles or Tracks only.)

* Speak Like A Child

Herbie Hancock, soloist

Track from: With All My Heart (Harvey Mason)

[bluebird]

Category 48

Best Jazz Instrumental Album, Individual or Group

(For albums containing 51% or more playing time of INSTRUMENTAL tracks.)

* Illuminations

McCoy Tyner With Gary Bartz, Terence Blanchard, Christian McBride & Lewis Nash

[Telarc Jazz]

Category 49

Best Large Jazz Ensemble Album

(For large jazz ensembles, including big band sounds. Albums must contain 51% or more INSTRUMENTAL tracks.)

* Concert In The Garden

Maria Schneider Orchestra

[ArtistShare]

Category 50

Best Latin Jazz Album

(Vocal or Instrumental.)

* Land Of The Sun

Charlie Haden

[Verve International]

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other award winners of interest:

Category 60

Best Traditional Tropical Latin Album

(Vocal or Instrumental.)

* ¡Ahora Sí!

Israel López "Cachao"

[univision Records]

Field 23 — Composing/Arranging

Category 82

Best Instrumental Composition

(A Composer's Award for an original composition (not an adaptation) first released during the Eligibility Year. Singles or Tracks only.)

* Merengue

Paquito D'Rivera, composer (Yo-Yo Ma)

Track from: Obrigado Brazil - Live In Concert

[sony Classical]

Category 83

Best Instrumental Arrangement

(An Arranger's Award. (Artist names appear in parenthesis.) Singles or Tracks only.)

* Past Present & Future

Slide Hampton, arranger (The Vanguard Jazz Orchestra)

Track from: The Way - Music Of Slide Hampton

[Planet Arts Recordings]

I have been watching the Grammy Awards for a half hour and wondering why the line between it and American Idol becomes blurrier each year.

The set is probably the worst I have seen, the opening was crappy, the music and production was sadly lacking a trace of creativity. Even Queen Latifa, who I like, looks bad--this does not bode for a memorable evening. I wish they had thought of Art Blakey when he was still around and opening doors for remarkable players.

Anyone agree with me?

Overall, I thought this year's show wasn't half bad. Nothing to get all excited about, but I've seen worse. Overall, I guess I'd give it a letter grade of B-, maybe some of it a solid B. But my expectations are always very low for these sorts of awards shows, so even a B- qualifies as "not half bad" in my book.

Didn't get all excited about the Southern Rock thing (I guess the Red States win again :( ), but it can't be Prince every year.

Sad to say, Billy didn't get a chance to do anything--the focus was on Bonnie Raitt and if he was identified, I must have blinked. At least it's good to see that he is well enough to do this--he was in pretty bad shape not so long ago.

Well, it was a nice performance nonetheless. :)

Is Billy blind?

I thought Alicia Keys sang and played her ass off (she's hot, no doubt about that...incredibley hot). Surprisingly too, Jamie Foxx came out and hit it out of the ballpark (can't BELIEVE I'm saying this, but I give credit where credit's due no matter what I'm predisposed to think). I thought Foxx and Alicia were going to jump their pianos and start making love right on stage, seemed a LOT of chemistry was happening there.

Anyway, thought Green Day kicked ass as well. Even thought the opening montage was well done and that thing at the end of it where they all sang together was pretty wild and adventuresome for the Grammys.

I actually liked the grammys this year.

On the crap side....that horrible faux-gospel bs with K. West and poor Mavis Staples. Bad taste central....especially the part where the poor Blind Boys have to stand next to a damn casket.... uggggg.

U2...please go away. You're irrelevant and booring (and your hit song "Vertigo" is just a blatant ripoff of The Supremes "You Keep Me Hangin' On." Hasn't ANYbody else in the world noticed this but me. Copyright infringement o'plenty.)

Edited by Soul Stream

I think Alicia Keys has a good voice and can sing very well but her vocal histrionics starts to bug me. That is what most everyone in American Idol does. If she does that in her own songs, that is one thing but on Beatles' 'Across the Universe' that they all sang for Tsunami Relief, she launched into such vocal gymnastics which was a bit jarring...

Who was playing the B3 next to Bonnie?

Having a feeling I'm about to have my LTG (License to Greeeaze) revoked yet again.......

That, believe it or not, was Billy Preston.

Perfect timing as I was watching this very performance while reading this thread and had the same question.

I'm happy for Maria Schneider...

Me too, although I'm sorry for our man Phil Kelly.

Seems like this is a situation where it would have been nice to now be able to pick up her CD in a store (for the new fans she's apt to get). Many stores will be having "Grammy winner" displays now.

Who knows, maybe this will help the artistShare thing to take off even more. Sure can't hurt.