paul secor

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Bill Barton

My vote also goes to the Casals recordings. They are sublime.

casals.jpg

A close second for me is the box-set of Rostropovich with Dali artwork, which hasn't been mentioned yet.

05002320001.gif0724355560452_170.jpg710QE5J16ML._AA280_.gif

Edited by Bill Barton

• 3 years later...

Thinking of getting another versions of the Cello Suites (currently have Gendron and Bylsma I). My preference is for recent releases (hey, want to support "the industry") and HIP (which is kind of under-represented in my CD collection). HIP not absolutely required if performance is sufficiently kick-ass. The three recordings below have caught my eye. Any feedback (or other recommendations) appreciated.

a) Queyras on Harmonia Mundi: great reviews, clips sound excellent (playing and sound quality), negative is that the set is pricey and Q. plays a period cello with modern bow/strings;

b) Gailliard on APARTE(?): seems to be HIP, samples good, fewer reviews than Queyras;

c) Anne Gastinel on Naive: got my attention for some reason, but don't know much about it and samples are limited.

I read an essay by Dutch violinist/conductor Sigiswald Kuijken last evening on the subject of the use of violoncello in Bach's church music, and was rather surprised to read that according to latest research Bach rarely used the type of cello we know today, but a violone - a type of smaller double bass - or a type of larger viola in cello range that was arm-held rather than between the knees. The solo cello suites probably were intended for such an instrument as well. Whew!

Know I am waiting for a first recording on a "violoncello da spalla"!

Sigiswald Kuijken is not Dutch, he's from Belgium (Flanders, to be exact).

I read an essay by Dutch violinist/conductor Sigiswald Kuijken last evening on the subject of the use of violoncello in Bach's church music, and was rather surprised to read that according to latest research Bach rarely used the type of cello we know today, but a violone - a type of smaller double bass - or a type of larger viola in cello range that was arm-held rather than between the knees. The solo cello suites probably were intended for such an instrument as well. Whew!

BTW, Kuijken has since (2009) recorded the suites on "shoulder cello." Haven't heard the recording...

I'm partial to Antonio Janigro recording for Westminster, which i have on 70s re-issue vinyl. It was re-issued on CD by MCA eons ago- you may find a copy if you are lucky.

For 21st century recordings: Ophelie Gaillard recorded it twice- first in 2000- that one is impossible to find without shelling some major bucks, and then again this year- that the one i have and can heartily recommend.

794881993420.jpg

Another good one is by Winona Zelenka- canadian cellist on Marquis Records.

644048_1_f.jpg?d=20111024030414

Edited by Mandrill

BTW, Kuijken has since (2009) recorded the suites on "shoulder cello." Haven't heard the recording...

I have since bought it - meanwhile there is even a second recording on the violoncello da spalla by Ryo Terakado, and another one. The sound is a bit thinner than the knee-cello, but the different playing technique gives it a more violin-like gesture - very interesting. Listeners accustomed to the widespread modern cello sound might take some time to open their minds and ears to this unusual sound.

Edited by mikeweil

I've been meaning to get the Casals. Nice to see the good reviews here.

Not the complete set, but Edgar Meyer did Suites 1, 2, & 5 on double bass for Sony. I like it.

:tup

i use Meyer's Gigue from Suite No. 5 in C minor at work often to demo speaker systems. tremendous. he's kind of a freak imo. in the best sense...

41zKk1IJU0L._SS400_.jpg

why and how did they get charlie haden to pose for that album cover photo :shrug[1]::w

on a serious note, i'd love to hear an interpretation of these suites by haden. maybe a complete 'pizz' version...

Edited by thedwork

41zKk1IJU0L._SS400_.jpg

why and how did they get charlie haden to pose for that album cover photo :shrug[1]::w

on a serious note, i'd love to hear an interpretation of these suites by haden. maybe a complete 'pizz' version...

You gotta take Ron Carter if you want a jazz bassist pizz version ... :w

Besides that, Jaap ter Linden plays nicely, but I don't like his tone - very much mesa di voce, even vibrato, and a rather thick sound, probably due to his instrument - I gave it away in the end. The far best, i.e. most beautiful version that I bought so far, is by Hidemi Szuzuki - great sound and conception, excellently recorded!

31ABT0P3P2L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

It has been issued with at least three different covers - the one above is the SACD cover, the SACD sounds terrific!

Edited by mikeweil

• 8 months later...

Got the Casals - they're amazing!

And then just today got Guido Schiefen's recording, which in its own way is nearly as strong, I think.

Thanks for that recommendation, D.D.!

I definitely want to check out Fournier, and also Starker - but the later has recorded, it seems around four complete versions, though only two of them seem to be out on CD ... one as pictured above by Mercury, the other by RCA (Sony/BMG/whatever).

51jNaLkOwML._SL500_AA300_.jpg51Q7BptHk5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg51-STQ1kI1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Do these two RCA editions actually contain the same recording?

And which is preferrable?

51eJRdHb33L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And that's the Schiefen - OOP but around used very cheaply (I practically paid for shipping only from a vendor on amazon.fr).

Got the Gaillard the other day after doing a lot of listening on Spotify. Here's what I wrote to a friend:

'That Ophelie Gaillard recording of the Bach cello suites arrived; one of the best pieces of music-making I've heard in a good while. Every phrase seems to almost literally speak. Her approach is probably more lower-register oriented than most any other; notes seem to vibrate from down there. Also, a tremendous sense of "grain" and angle as phrases ascend or descend, as though each note were being carved into a stick.'

Glad you got this, LK... I assume you got Gaillaird II--

http://www.amazon.com/J--S-Bach-Suites-violoncelle-1007-1012/dp/B004NWHV6W/

Gaillard I, issued as two separate-- and beautifully packaged-- Ambrosie label CDs was excellent too, though the label could be elusive.

I think her's is by far best of the 'period' performances; the rest, even Byslma I-- are pretty po' faced and though I have affection for Fournier and Tortelier, NONE of the traditional recordings would rank in my top 5; (and if one did, Starker it definitely wouldn't be, nor absurdly hyped-on-release Isserlis The Rostropovich is a bad and not-tasteless-enough joke.) Caals we gotta deal with vis a vis history of performance practice but its musical interest is otherwise slight.

May I never hear Ron Carter (or William Parker) play arco again--

Got the Gaillard the other day after doing a lot of listening on Spotify. Here's what I wrote to a friend:

'That Ophelie Gaillard recording of the Bach cello suites arrived; one of the best pieces of music-making I've heard in a good while. Every phrase seems to almost literally speak. Her approach is probably more lower-register oriented than most any other; notes seem to vibrate from down there. Also, a tremendous sense of "grain" and angle as phrases ascend or descend, as though each note were being carved into a stick.'