Late

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unwax your ears, uncork your best bottle of Scotch and fasten your seatbelts.

Our friend Michael Steinman has shared 90' of unreleased Don Byas, recorded at Baron Timme Rosenkrantz’s apartment in NY, 1944.

You're all welcome! :D

https://jazzlives.wordpress.com/2022/02/09/celebrating-don-byas-1944-45/

Edited by EKE BBB

23 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Unwax your ears, uncork your best bottle of Scotch and fasten your seatbelts.

Our friend Michael Steinman has shared 90' of unreleased Don Byas, recorded at Baron Timme Rosenkrantz’s apartment in NY, 1944.

You're all welcome! :D

https://jazzlives.wordpress.com/2022/02/09/celebrating-don-byas-1944-45/

Thanks so much for sharing the link to this unissued music. I was fortunate to discover Don Byas early as a jazz collector in the 1970s,  while many of his LPs and the 1945 Town Hall concert were readily obtainable at reasonable prices.

12 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

In my school time, this one was the thing. I bought it and many came to my place to listen to it and we all love it. 

Herunterladen (1).jpg

I sometimes find Don Byers after the 60's uncomfortable in terms of harmony and rhythmic groove (I don't think he was a "modern" jazz player after all), but Anthropology and a show at Nalen unearthed a few years ago were pretty good.

• 9 months later...
6 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

There've been some recent Don Byas posts. Where next to go with Byas after Minton's, the Savoy comp and Anthropology?

Any mid-40s Don Byas on all the indie labels he recorded for in the U.S. will be fine. They have been reissued in quite a few different packages and accessiblity varies so I find it difficult to give directions. 
IMO his European (French) recordings of the 50s are an acquired taste. He did an awful lot of ballads which usually were well-done too but may not be everyone's taste in such heavy doses.