Time Label

bertrand

I just purchased bonus tracks on iTunes for the Time albums Jazz Contemporary, Sonny Clark Trio, and Award-Winning Drummer. I had the original versions of these CDs without the bonus cuts. Are there any other Time albums that might have bonus tracks? Showboat, Bennie Green, Booker Little and Tommy Turrentine do not.

Thanks,

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Sorry I was vague about the nature of these tracks. I remembered (without doing a search) that there was a thread about this a while back (possibly on the old board), so I assumed that everyone was at least as aware of this as I was. Essentially, there were Japanese reissues of the Time series a few years ago, and some of the recordings had bonus tracks. Since they were Japanese limited edition reissues, you had to hustle to get them, and also taking into account the cost, I just decided not to even try to upgrade my Bainbridge CDs. I was very surprised to see that iTunes had any Japanese reissues. I jumped on these ASAP, under the assumption that they might disappear fast.

Someone else can no doubt provide all the details (and perhaps links) concerning the discussions about these reissues (which may not be the ones listed on the Fresh Sound site, since these have no bonus tracks as Mike pointed out), but here are the tracks I downloaded. All but one are listed as 'Alternate Versions'. I assumed these were alternate takes. If you go by the convention most labels seem to be using, it's usually an alternate take if it's recorded the same day, and an alternate version if it was recorded on another day. I did not do a detailed discographical search on these takes yet to get the recording date (I am especially curious to know if it is Butch Warren or Jimmy Garrison on the one Dorham piece that is NOT an alternate, because I need to know if it belongs in my Butch Warren playlist!). The flawed jazzdisco.org does not list these.

Kenny Dorham- Jazz Contemporary

Sign Off 5:29

A Waltz (alternate version) 5:36

Monk's Mood (alternate version) 2:53

This Love Of Mine (alternate version) 7:55

Sonny Clark Trio

Nica (alternate version) 6:55

Blues Blue (alternate version) 7:38

Junka (alternate version) 5:02

Sonia (alternate version) 7:21

Award-Winning Drummer

Milano (alternate version) 6:33

Old Folks (alternate version) 4:31

Gandolfo's Bounce (alternate version) 6:12

'Sign Off' is the most welcome addition here, since it is a previously unreleased KD composition. I knew this tune existed years ago, since it was copyrighted at the same time as 'Horn Salute', 'Tonica' and 'A Waltz'. I assumed it was an out-take from the session, but I didn't know (until the bonus tracks surfaced) that it actually had been recorded, as opposed to just rehearsed for the session and then discarded.

Bertrand.

P.S. These are the timings off of my iPod, which I have here. I will check to see if the iTunes timings are off by a couple of seconds.

Edited by bertrand

Certainly not, but very frustrating. I thought I was done with the Time label! Since I doubt I will ever buy an SACD player in my life, I guess I will never hear this track.

Going back to the discographical aspect of this, what is the procedure for finding out the recording date for 'Sign Off'? This seems to have never been listed in any previous discography, so it's not like there's a previous source to cite (or contradict). I guess we could try to identify the bass player - Warren and Garrison are definitely not players who sound anything alike, but I am not as familiar with Garrison's approach on the more 'mainstream' material.

Do these Japanese reissues give any dates?

Bertrand.

Bertrand: The Clark SACD is a hybrid; playbable on regular cd players.

Aric: There were Time cds put out by Bainbridge in the eighties, by Pony Canyon in the nineties or early in this century, and a few titles put out by Audio Fidelity as hybrid SACDs, and it appears also that somewhere in there Fresh Sounds released cds.

There were Time cds put out by Bainbridge in the eighties, by Pony Canyon in the nineties or early in this century, and a few titles put out by Audio Fidelity as hybrid SACDs, and it appears also that somewhere in there Fresh Sounds released cds.

Just wanted to add that my (jewel case) copy of the Sonny Clark Trio was put out in 1991 by "Century Records" of Japan.

• 2 weeks later...

Bringing this back up again: for Dorham's Jazz Contemporary, anyone have any luck figuring out which of the two sessions (2/11/60 with Butch Warren or 2/12/60 with Jimmy Garrison) that the bonus tracks (especially 'Sign Off') were from?

I now have the complete thing on my iPod. I will try to id the bassist on the bonus tracks based on the playing on the master takes, plus my knowledge of Butch's playing.

There's got to be an easier way: does anybody have the Japanese version of this session with the bonus tracks?

Thanks,

Bertrand.

True. You like this better?

CAT_NO LEADER ALBUM

2004 Dorham, Kenny Jazz Contemporary

2008 Mooney, Hal Voices In Song And Percussion

2009 Joseph, Irving Cole Porter In Percussion

2010 Caiola, Al Gershwin And Guitars

2011 Little, Booker Booker Little

2013 McPartland, Marian Plays Music Of Leonard Bernstein

2014 Montenegro, Hugo Bongos And Brass

2016 Tyler, Jim

2020 Montenegro, Hugo Boogie Woogie And Bongos

2021 Green, Bennie Bennie Green

2024 Dorham, Kenny Showboat

2028 Tyler, Jim Impact! Brass!

2031 Leslie, Kermit Gypsy Strings And Percussion

2032 Tyler, Jim & Maury Laws Do Re Mi

2033 Hayman, Richard Tender Moments

2034 Rugolo, Pete Thriller - Original TV Score

2035 Montenegro, Hugo Overture American Musical Theatre 1

2036 Montenegro, Hugo Overture American Musical Theatre 2

2037 Montenegro, Hugo Overture American Musical Theatre 3

2038 Montenegro, Hugo Overture American Musical Theatre 4

2039 Caiola, Al Spanish Guitars

2040 Laws, Maury Laws For Dancing

2046 Montenegro, Hugo Great Songs For Motion Pictures 3

2053 Tyler, Jim Twist

2073 McPartland, Marian Bossa Nova Plus Soul

2086 Turrentine, Stanley Stan The Man

2087 Roach, Max Award-Winning Drummer

2094 Lester, Sonny After Hours

2101 Clark, Sonny Trio

2104 McRae, Carmen Live At Sugar Hill

2105 Gibbs, Terry Hootenanny My Way

2106 Camarata, Tutti Tutti's Trumpets

2117 Davis, Mel Mel Davis

2118 Bourbon Street Stompers

2120 Gibbs, Terry & Sal Nistico Gibbs/Nistico

2121 Cavanaugh, Page Softly

2123 Cain, Joe Latin Explosion

2129 McPartland, Marian West Side Story

2197 Tyler, Jim

2198 Dixieland Kings Holiday In New Orleans

2199 Ludwig, Gene Hot Organ, The

4000 Smith, Derek Toasting…Derek Smith

70001 Greene, Dodo Ain't What You Do

70002 Sanders, Felicia I Wish You Love

70003 Roach, Max Award-Winning Drummer

70004 Hopkins, Lightnin' Last Of The Great Blues Singers, The

70005 Original Soho Skiffle Group, The Original Soho Skiffle Group, The

70006 Charles, Ray et al. Riot In Blues

70007 Peters, Malcolm & Ron Goodwin Imagination

70008 Turrentine, Tommy Tommy Turrentine

70009 Paris, Jackie Sings The Lyrics Of Ira Gershwin

70010 Clark, Sonny Trio

Mike

• 7 months later...

I believe I have located the source of some of these alternative takes. A Time 12" LP included the following:

Clifford Brown: The Boss Man [actually incomplete alt. of Caravan]

Kenny Dorham: A Waltz

Tommy Turrentine: Gunga Din

Booker Little: Variations On The Scene

Clifford Brown: Clifford's Fantasy [actually incomplete alt. of Sweet Clifford]

Booker Little: Gondolfo's Bounce [Gandolfo's Bounce]

I can't audition it - anyone got "Volume 8" by Clifford Brown - Kenny Dorham - Booker Little - Tommy Turrentine?

I'm especially interested to know if ALL these are alternatives (Gunga Din, Variations On The Scene), which would mean more previously unknown stuff, right?

Mike

I believe I have located the source of some of these alternative takes. A Time 12" LP included the following:

Clifford Brown: The Boss Man [actually incomplete alt. of Caravan]

Kenny Dorham: A Waltz

Tommy Turrentine: Gunga Din

Booker Little: Variations On The Scene

Clifford Brown: Clifford's Fantasy [actually incomplete alt. of Sweet Clifford]

Booker Little: Gondolfo's Bounce [Gandolfo's Bounce]

I can't audition it - anyone got "Volume 8" by Clifford Brown - Kenny Dorham - Booker Little - Tommy Turrentine?

I'm especially interested to know if ALL these are alternatives (Gunga Din, Variations On The Scene), which would mean more previously unknown stuff, right?

Mike

I have this record, I don't think they are all alternate takes. When I have a moment I'll A/B them all.