Greatest Finds

Dan Gould

Couldn't find a thread, and this seemed as appropriate a forum as any, so, without any further ado, my latest:

I had to go halfway around the world but I found a nice copy of Johnny Griffith Trio, Jazz, on the Workshop Jazz label. Griffith was the pianist in the Motown house band who died just before the Standing in the Shadows of Motown doc premiered, but he always considered himself a jazz man. So, I went searching and just got it yesterday from a Japanese dealer. Its pretty nice, with a cover of "Moment's Notice", a couple of standards, some bluesy originals, plus "Willow Weap for Me" and "Summertime".

Edited by Dan Gould

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, at lunchtime I was very happy to see the Jackie Mclean Mosaic sitting in a used store (probably the best used store in Tokyo, the disk union in Ochanomizu, if anybody is ever in this part of the world). CD's, booklet and box all appear to be in very good condition and the price was under $70, which I believe is pretty good, at least compared to eBay. I look forward to listening to this music.

Guest Mnytime

Well, at lunchtime I was very happy to see the Jackie Mclean Mosaic sitting in a used store (probably the best used store in Tokyo, the disk union in Ochanomizu, if anybody is ever in this part of the world). CD's, booklet and box all appear to be in very good condition and the price was under $70, which I believe is pretty good, at least compared to eBay. I look forward to listening to this music.

Yea, I would say you saved about $200-$250 U.S. :party::party::party:

These may be more "nice" finds than "greatest", but I picked up a few nice things yesterday on the way home from one of my local used shops:

Miles Davis - Four & More Japanese Master Sound (is there a name for Japanese Columbias, ala BN's TOCJs ?)

v/a - Piano Moods - Cleopatra's Dream - TOCJ 66053

Michael Brecker - Time is of the Essence - interesting set with Metheny, Goldings, & Elvin

Total price for all three discs was €10!

Also in the category of "nice finds":

Greg Hatza, Organization on Palmetto-I just heart about Hatza's early LPs and found out that alto man Jim Snidero appears on his mid-90s 'comeback' release. Being a Snidero fan I knew I wanted to find it, and lo and behold, there it was at the used disc shop. Great timing!

Joey DeFranscesco and Danny Gatton, Relentless-I think Kevin Bresnahan raved about this and since it sounded good at the listening station I went for it.

Well, at lunchtime I was very happy to see the Jackie Mclean Mosaic sitting in a used store (probably the best used store in Tokyo, the disk union in Ochanomizu, if anybody is ever in this part of the world).

Great find JohnJ, I used to work in Jinbocho and spent many a lunch hour at the Ochanomizu Disc Union.

Other than the more obvious Shinjuku and Shibuya Disk Unions, check out the stores in Kichijoji and Kanai (Yokohama) sometime if you haven't already. The Kanai store in particular always had something worthwhile.

:tup

Picked up the following albums recently on vinyl, all mint, for the nice price of $21.

Joe Turner- Stormy Monday (Pablo)

Booker Ervin- The Book Cooks (Bethlehem)

Stephane Grappelli- Young Django (PaUsa)

Woody Herman- The Band That Plays The Blues (Affinity)

Woody Herman- Pre-Herds (Affinity)

7th Ave. Stompers- Fidgety Feet (Savoy)

Just won on e-bay the Sony Mastersound copy of Woody Shaw's The Moontrane for $15.51 (after shipping). A great deal in my estimation.

The seller is a newbie, however, and wouldn't even reveal his name. (The guy asked to make a cashier's check out to his initial). So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Just received an ebay win that turned out to be very pleasing, A Night at Count Basie's-The Funky Jazz of the Perri Lee Trio. I had no idea who this woman was but with Eddie Chamblee's jazz/R&B tenor I figured what the heck. Turns out that she was originally discovered by Dinah Washington and sang several tunes with Doris Day in "Pillow Talk". She's also on "Sonny Stitt and the Top Brass"

As for her organ, she kind of comes out of the Wild Bill Davis "orchestral" style. Good tunes all the way through, with the highlight being a lengthy take on "Doodlin'"

Anyone want to trade a copy of this for LD's Scorpion? ;)

Edited by Dan Gould

That's one terrific wife you've got Chuck!

I recently found a near-mint (looks like it's never been played) copy of "The Guitarists," about the only issue of the Time/Life Masters of Jazz series that I didn't have, for only $5.95. I almost bought a more beat-up copy of the same thing at a different store a few months ago for $35!! All I can say is, once in a while things work out.

Edited by BruceH

Not the greatest find but all together they are adding up to be quite a honey pot!

There's a guy who keeps selling disc to the CD store I frequent. All his discs are like new as if he listens once and then discards. He can't not like all these titles and if he did why keep buying jazz!!

Anyway, I don't care, I just swing by every week or so and pick the ones the guys who work there (they get first pick) don't want for $6.99.

Titles I've gotten recently

Harold Land - The Fox

Jackie McLean - Vertigo

Booker Ervin - Structually Sound

Booker Ervin - The In Between

Sonny Criss - Sonny's Dream The Birth of the New Cool

Very Saxy - Lockjaw Davis et al

Blue Mitchell - The Cup Bearers

Art Blakey - THe African Beat

Art Blakey - Roots and Herbs

Cliff Jordan and John Gilmore - Blowing in From Chicago

Titles I've seen and already had or the guys at the store got

Lee Morgan - Leeway

Lee Morgan - Cornbread

all the Rare Grooves from the last batch (The Worm, Moonrappin)

Donald Byrd - Electric Byrd

Jackie McLean - Capucian Swing

many RVGs that I had

Not great just one at a time but to find those deals week after week has been pretty sweet.

Landed a true rarity on ebay yesterday: Charlie Earland Trio, Boss Organ, on the Choice label. He also recorded Soul Crib with George Coleman on that label, and those tunes came out on two Muse LPs in the early 70s. But I believe that five of the seven tunes on Boss Organ didn't make it to the Muses.

mg517.jpg

Edit: Since the picture is so big it necesitates the side-to-side scroll, I'll just leave this up for a few hours and then delete.

Edited by Dan Gould

Edit: Since the picture is so big it necesitates the side-to-side scroll, I'll just leave this up for a few hours and then delete.

No horizontal scrolling problem for me, with an Opera browser and a 17" monitor running at 1024x768 resolution.

Found at a Goodwill store somewhere between Austin & San Antonio (don't know exsctly where, I was asleep until we stopped) , a 45 on the Johnny Stewart Game Calls label out of Waco, Texas entitled "Actual Distress Cries Of A Cottontail Rabbit (High Pitched Voice)" which according to the label itself is a "special call for red foxes!" and "calls all animals and birds that feed on rabbits!" This one oughta be fun next Halloween...

Also found at the same store, another 45, this one on the Electronic Game Calls, Inc. label of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin (duh...) entitled simply "Mallard Talk - An Actual Live Recording". I might have miscued on this one though - the label states that it is "Recommended for use with "Electronic Game Caller" Record Player with high output and fidelity". Not being up on the latest high-end audio gear, I got a sinking feeling that I'll not derive maximum satisfaction from this item. Bummer...

Now what was REALLY a trip in this store was finding a SEALED Bill Dobbins Trio album - Roads Travelled and Days Gone By on the Mark label. But the trombone player I was riding with saw it first, so he got it. No matter - we both decided to someday form a band called Distressed Rabbits. This, ladies and gentlemen, is how bands REALLY get their names. Besides, I got this Sammy Davis Jr/Joya Sherill on Design (in Spectra-Sonic Soundno less!), an Eckstine/Billy May thing on Forum, and a totally plowed Johnny Mathis 6 Eye that's got some really good tunes like "The Folks Who Live On The Hill", "There's No You", and "I'm Gonna Laugh You Out Of My Life" on it. Close enough for a lunch stop on a road trip, no?

Most intriguing find in this establishment located in the middle of seemingly nowhere was a copy of THE JOY OF LESBIAN SEX. Whilst carrying it around in contemplation of a possible purchase, I spotted a children's book called IN YOUR WILDEST DREAMS. Well, it seemed like a natural pairing to me, so I left the 2 books on top of a set of golf clubs and hoped that some stranger would someday benefit from my kindness.

Spreading joy wherever I go, that's my mission in this life.

Edited by JSngry

I mentioned this once before (on the BN Board I think) and no one bit, so I'll try again. Has anyone ever dreamed (as in dreamed up) a Great Find? Once in my teens I dreamed I was in a large record store (probably Rose Records in downtown Chicago) flipping through the bins when I came across a disc that featured the unlikely frontline team of Jack Teagarden, Paul Desmond, and Cy Touff. This was the era of listening booths, so in the dream I actually listened to one track -- Teagarden stating the melody of "Stars Fell on Alabama" with his usual grace while an inspired Desmond fluttered around him like a butterfly. Don't recall what Cy's role was, if any; in fact, his utterly off-the-wall presence in the dream is part of what made it seem so real.