Greatest Finds

Dan Gould

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure this qualifies but yesterday while I was picking up some of the new RVGs, I noticed a JRVG of Grant's Sunday Morning for 12.99 (marked as used) which I though was interesting. I then saw both JRVGs of Elmo Hope for also 12.99 each. I started to get excited. So I carefully checked the stacks. By the time I was done, I had gotten JRVGs of Jutta Hipp (not the Hickory House or Zoot Sims' ones), Sal Salvador, Tal Farlow, Kenny Burrell and Bill Evans' Sunday at the Village Vanguard (one of those Japanese reissues from JVC that is slightly larger than the JRVGs) and Eddie Higgins' Haunted Heart on Venus. All for 12.99. Even though they were marked as used, they weren't and were all sealed. A lucky haul. The person at the front desk said they'd had a lot more. Too bad but I can't complain.

I'm not sure this qualifies but yesterday while I was picking up some of the new RVGs, I noticed a JRVG of Grant's Sunday Morning for 12.99 (marked as used) which I though was interesting. I then saw both JRVGs of Elmo Hope for also 12.99 each. I started to get excited. So I carefully checked the stacks. By the time I was done, I had gotten JRVGs of Jutta Hipp (not the Hickory House or Zoot Sims' ones), Sal Salvador, Tal Farlow, Kenny Burrell and Bill Evans' Sunday at the Village Vanguard (one of those Japanese reissues from JVC that is slightly larger than the JRVGs) and Eddie Higgins' Haunted Heart on Venus. All for 12.99. Even though they were marked as used, they weren't and were all sealed. A lucky haul. The person at the front desk said they'd had a lot more. Too bad but I can't complain.

Oh yeah, that definitely qualifies. You must have been as happy as a little girl! Hell, I probably would have downright SQUEALED with delight.

Awesome score. B)

Nice find, I think, was a used Conn of Mobley's "A Slice of the Top" for 9.99 at Vintage Vinyl in St Louis. Haven't heard much about this but it looks interesting. Great liners incidentally, from John L :)

Can't wait to listen to it later today.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally tracked down a copy of James Newton's ROMANCE AND REVOLUTION (BN 1986) on near mint vinyl, for $1.95 no less! Great companion to the marginally easier to find and better known Blue Note from around the same time, THE AFRICAN FLOWER.

• 4 weeks later...

The left half of the cover is dark violet blue with large letters in white J G with the rest of the names in small type; right half is black with white type.

Label is black with silver print and the matrix number is CHESS-LP-8681 or 82, respectively.

Mike,

I think you have not the earliest but a slightly later issue of this one. I think the earliest issue had a very weird looking cover in which the jacket opened up in the middle of the front (as in, both right and left sides were regular "spines". I just picked up a Japanese LP facsimile of this one in the Red Trumpet super duper sale ($12 instead of the original $35)

That's how the cover of my copy looks like:

argolp624.jpg

The latest discographical evidence displayed here dates this session back to August, 1953!!!

Edited by mikeweil

• 1 month later...

Picked up two items yesterday: The Keith Jarrett Complete Blue Note Box, new, for €53. The store was closing one of its branches on the Konigstrasse (main pedestrian walking street in Stuttgart), so was selling alot of stock. I already had 4 of the discs that I'd picked up individually before, but this was too good a deal to pass up.

The other is a used copy of Coltranes's "Live in Japan" 4 disc set, used, for €17.50. Not too bad, as I haven't seen this elsewhere. I'm assuming it's OOP.

Nice find, I think, was a used Conn of Mobley's "A Slice of the Top" for 9.99 at Vintage Vinyl in St Louis. Haven't heard much about this but it looks interesting. Great liners incidentally, from John L :)

Can't wait to listen to it later today.

Excellent find on a great disc. This one regularly goes for $20 or even $30 on eBay.

Easily my greatest find was the long OOP Larry Young Mosaic set in a used record store in Glendale, CA and it was priced at $35!!! Totally intact. Booklet. Box in fine shape. I scrutinized it to see if I was missing some massive flaw. Nope. It was used, but it was in fine condition.

Thing was, I already owned the Larry Young Mosaic! I had purchased it from someone on the old boards for the very reasonable price of $96.

So I bought it again and gave it to a friend for his birthday.

Must admit I considered putting it up for auction on E-bay... <_<

Edited by The Mule

I just received the 1999 remaster of "Giant Steps" from half.com, great source for CD's. I got it new, still wrapped, for $5 plus shipping, a total of $7.50. I think my greatest CD find was about four years ago when I found Kenny Kirkland's one and only album as a leader in a discount bin at Borders in Springfield, Pa. for $5, and yes I bought it. Didn't hesitate.

Easily my greatest find was the long OOP Larry Young Mosaic set in a used record store in Glendale, CA and it was priced at $35!!! Totally intact. Booklet. Box in fine shape. I scrutinized it to see if I was missing some massive flaw. Nope. It was used, but it was in fine condition.

Thing was, I already owned the Larry Young Mosaic! I had purchased it from someone on the old boards for the very reasonable price of $96.

So I bought it again and gave it to a friend for his birthday.

You're a great friend! He must be have been thrilled!

I had really good luck this weekend, picking up used copies of:

THE COMPLETE BILL EVANS ON VERVE box - $129, in excellent condition!

Richard Williams - NEW HORN IN TOWN (Candid) - this on LP, a 1977 Barnaby reissue that's in pretty darn good sound, for $6

Re: the Williams, I have seen a CD version listed of this in the past but just did quick searches of Ebay, Half.com, Dusty Groove, and some other sites and didn't see any CD copies available. Has it ever been relatively widely available? Seems like some of those Candid reissues of 60's sessions have been as rare as hen's teeth.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm quickly (re)discovering that Corpus Christi is pretty much a black hole for jazz purchases, but I did stumble onto a sealed copy of Jack Wilson's "Something Personal" Connoisseur in the bargain bin at the local FYE - one of those "Two for $5.99 deals". Ended up picking up a remaster of Gentle Giant's "In a Glass House" to fill out the deal. Three bucks is about the cheapest Conn I've found so far!

Also found a used copy of Miroslav Vitous' "Guardian Angels", which I picked up to add to my Scofield collection...

Guest ariceffron

yestefdday i found for 3 bucks a stan getz lp called the dolphin, from 81, and its autographed by the man himself. i mean its prob. legit. its also signed by victor lewis. i mean who would fake victor lewis? its probably real. its signed best wishes stan getz. what in the hell. its realy interesting.