Greatest Finds

Dan Gould

Once in my teens I dreamed I was in a large record store (probably Rose Records in downtown Chicago) flipping through the bins when I came across a disc that featured the unlikely frontline team of Jack Teagarden, Paul Desmond, and Cy Touff.

THAT's what you were dreaming about as a teenage boy?!?!?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mnytime

THAT's what you were dreaming about as a teenage boy?!?!?

:g:g:g

You have to admit it's a singular and highly original dream. ;)

Of course I would be interested to know what Freud would have made with it. :P

Edited by Mnytime

Summer sales season started in Paris yesterday.

Lots of junk CDs. But I found these:

- Cecil Taylor ' Melancholy' (FMP),

- Anthony Ortega 'Bonjour' (AJMI),

- Tete Montoliu 'Illiure Jazz' (Discomedi),

all at 3 euros ($3.4) each.

Also grabbed Beverly Kenney 'Like Yesterday', a Japanese Decca CD at 12 euros.

Recent Great LP Finds:

Joe Henderson "Mode For Joe" M- NY label 20 bucks!

G. Mulligan Sextette (w/Zoot) "Mainstream Of Jazz" orig. Emarcy Near Mint $10

"C. Brown & M. Roach" M- orig Emarcy (blue print back) $25

Eldridge/Gillespie "Trumpet Battle" VG++ Verve $9

H. Rumsey's Lighthouse All-Stars 10 inch Contemporary Red Vinyl ! VG+ FREE!

also B. Goodman & Ike Quebec 45 Sessions Mosaic lp sets for bargain prices

:P

Jazz at Cal Tech.. Bud Shank on PJ... dumping already? the Select isn't due for a long time yet

Zen the Music of Fred Katz with the Chico Hamilton Quintet PJ.. does he know something I don't?

and for Fun Mat Mathews with 4 French Horns... Elektra

$5.00 each

All more or less in good condition.. the "less" is for one split sleeve.

Edited by P.D.

A great find for me in two ways -- because I came across it as a battered but playable LP, and because the gap between what I thought it would be like and what it turned out to be is vast -- is "Shelly Manne and His Men Play 'Checkmate'" (Contemporary), now available as an OJC CD. The reason I didn't expect much is that it's jazz versions of the score of the 1960-1 TV series "Checkmate," which starred Sebastian Cabot and Doug McClure, and the music is by Johnny Williams, the one-time jazz pianist who went under the name John Towner for a while (so as not to be confused with the other piano-playing John Williams, who worked with Stan Getz) and who eventually became John Williams, the composer of the music for "Star Wars" et al. But the tunes not only are OK, or are made OK by Manne and Co. (Conte Candoli, Richie Kamuca, Russ Freeman, Chuck Berghofer), most of them end up in a Miles-modal bag, which leads to some interesting results, especially from Kamuca and Freeman. There's some '58 material jam session material from Kamuca, issued on Fresh Sounds I think under Scott LaFaro's name, that shows him trying to add chunks of contemporary Rollins and Coltrane to his second-generation Lester Young soul, and it isn't happening at all. By late '61, though, he's in a beautiful place, less wispy and/or brittle than he used to be, warm, relaxed, lyrical, harmonically agile and rhythmically spot-on -- a really soulful, personal player. (His three Concord discs from the '70s -- "Drop Me Off in Harlem," "Richie," and "Richie Kamuca's Charlie" -- are excellent; the last, a Bird tribute on alto, captures the spirit as well as anyone this side of Dave Schildkraut.)

Freeman on modal material is a gas -- in the face of the Bill Evans wave that swept over (maybe that should be "swept under") so many pianists of his generation and style, Freeman keeps his Powell-Silver articulation and doesn't get all soft and impressionistic -- while Candoli tries very hard to sound like Miles, though his peppy brassiness seems to be at war with this. All in all, a very interesting record, especially for Kamuca.

• 3 weeks later...

Anthony Davis - "The Ghost Factory" (Gramavision, 1988); found it used on CD, for only $3!!

e72490u6fj8.jpg

I've had my eyes out for this one for about 3 or 4 years. Not that I've been searching high and low for it, but I was always just curious to hear it, because it is essentially two long-form 'classical' works - a violin concerto, and a piano concert (with Davis at the keys).

Aside from my obvious curriosity about anything that could be remotely called a "jazz piano concerto", I was also interested because these works were recorded with our own Kansas City Symphony. Probably at least 1/3rd (maybe even half) of the musicians on this 1988 recording are still in the orchestra today, and I probably know a handful of them personally (I sing in the Kansas City Symphony Chorus, for the past 7 years).

How about...

zulu3.jpg

Chris, is there an interesting story behind how you acquired that record? I've read that there's only one copy known to exist in the world.

Yes, what's the story here???

Both about the recording itself (which I know nothing about - only one in the whole world???), and also about how you came to find it, Chris???

Do tell!!!

Some good finds in the latest vinyl trawl, each one for £10 or less.

- Don Ellis 'Essence' (Dutch Fontana) M-

- Yusef Lateef 'Live at Peps' Impulse orange-label original VG+

- Bobby Hutcherson 'Stick Up' Liberty M-

- Ted Curson/Bill Barron 'Now Hear This' on AudioFidelity VG+

- Gary Bartz 'Another Earth' original Milestone VG+

- 'Tune In' Karl Berger original Milestone VG+

- Lee Morgan/John Coltrane 'The Best of Birdland' French Vogue deep groove M-

Edited by sidewinder

My greatest finds probably were:

- a mint copy of the Larry Young Mosaic in a second hand record store for the equivalent of $ 30 !!! (later on I found the Shearing and Freddie Redd sets there!)

- A.K.Salim's Afro-Soul Drum Orgy on Prestige, very good LP, with Yusef Lateef, Johnny Coles and Pat Patrick, at a store in Rome

- an original pressing of Randy Weston's Bakton LP

- Johnny Griffin's lone Argo LP

Hey Mike, was that Griffin Argo one of the 70s pressings (in black and white) or one of the way cool originals, with the cover split down the middle?

Speaking of '70s Argo pressings, I picked up a sealed copy of Benny Golson's Take a Number From One to Ten so now I can finally hear the three tracks that got dropped from the Universal reissue of "Free".

Take that, Keepnews!

Did that store have any sense of how to price things? Mint, deep groove, $5? Great album, by the way, it ought to be a Conn. or RVG or Reece should get a Mosaic Select someday.

It was this crazy deal--there was this vacuum repair man that went around the area fixing vacuums and essentially canvassing for records. He would ususally bring in pop stuff, mostly 60s stuff.

But this one time, he brings in 25 running feet of original first and second pressing jazz records. Blue Note, Verve, etc. He said "I'll sell them to you for $2 each." I bought a ton of stuff, including some Three Sounds first and second pressings, the Lou Donaldson LD+3 album, John Patton's Got a Good Thing Going, and Lennie Tristano's self titled album on atlantic [first press]. Also included were some impulse and Columbia titles.

I did not buy one, but I remember seeing three mint copies of Getz's Focus, essentially unplayed.

Apparently, this was not even the half of it. My boss at the store snaked the Dizzy Reece. I had to pay him three extra dollars for it, for a total of $5.

Speaking of '70s Argo pressings, I picked up a sealed copy of Benny Golson's Take a Number From One to Ten so now I can finally hear the three tracks that got dropped from the Universal reissue of "Free".

Take that, Keepnews!

I found that one together with the Jazztet/John Lewis Argo (both those reissues with tha b/w covers) some months ago. Very nice one.

Nice CD finds from today & yesterday (all between 4 and 8 $) include:

- Chris Cheek, Vine (FSNT)

- Horace Tapscott, The Tapscott Sessions / Volume 8 (Nimbus) - my very first Tapscott!

- John Lewis, Evolution II (Atlantic)

- Ornette Coleman, Sound Museum (Three Women) (Harmolodic/Verve)

- Malachi Thompson, Freebop Now! (Delmark)

- Fred Frith, Digital Wildlife (Winter & Winter)

and then my first Probeper box, the Webster one.

ubu

Landed another super rare Workshop Jazz album, The Right Side of Lefty Edwards and for a much cheaper price, I picked up something called Okeh Jazz which is a double lp comp of material from the label including the very first leader recordings of Little Johnny Griffin, early Arnett Cobb and Ahmad Jamal and some chick singer who had Dexter Gordon and Howard McGhee in her band.

The left half of the cover is dark violet blue with large letters in white J G with the rest of the names in small type; right half is black with white type.

Label is black with silver print and the matrix number is CHESS-LP-8681 or 82, respectively.

Mike,

I think you have not the earliest but a slightly later issue of this one. I think the earliest issue had a very weird looking cover in which the jacket opened up in the middle of the front (as in, both right and left sides were regular "spines". I just picked up a Japanese LP facsimile of this one in the Red Trumpet super duper sale ($12 instead of the original $35)

Scored a NM original Douglas LP copy of PETE LA ROCA'S TURKISH WOMEN AT THE BATH for a quarter. Yes, $0.25!!! It has one of those cutout marks but still, it looks barely played and sounds GREAT! Also got a copy of Gabor Szabo's Bacchanal and a Don Goldie Argo LP for the same price!!!