Hey Skid! Look what comes out tomorrow!

Big Al

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I was listening to the Best Of Styx last week at this place I do freelance video editing in Ann Arbor. He has some really nice B&W speakers and we were listening to some crappy CDs (musically) for laughs.

You have not witnessed the utter musical hilarity that is Styx until you hear it on a great set of speakers. :lol:

Man, I was listening to the Best Of Styx last week at this place I do freelance video editing in Ann Arbor. He has some really nice B&W speakers and we were listening to some crappy CDs (musically) for laughs.

I was gonna say....... was he mad at you or something? ^_^

You have not witnessed the utter musical hilarity that is Styx until you hear it on a great set of speakers.  :lol:

Nooooooooo kidding!!! :lol:

It's an old joke between me & Uncle Skid. At a bar last summer, I got to meet the Organissimo gang, along with Skid, Chuck, Upright Bill, and another guy whose name escapes me. Anyway, at one end of the table, Jim, Joe, Skid & I were ragging on each other about various bands that we USED TO like ( ;)) but cringe when we think about 'em now.

Big Al: That is a perfectly good explanation (that I can subscribe to). Thanx!

This is what I wrote before I read that:

Let me clarify a bit.

a) I have a bad-hair day today.

b) Some people just like to barge in and take a dump on music other people might like. It has become quite a common thing here. They don't care at all about the others maybe reading their posts (or, better, they do care) and they don't give it a second thought. There are people on this board who like Styx (use the search function or go to any of the other boards to have a look) and all you are telling them, in as brutally a fashion as possible, is that they just suck. Not good style. Especially if you do so from a (sometimes) seemingly superior but at least respected vantage point (and that is the way I see you guys). Sorry, but I think that's not a good way to go. A little respect for other people's tastes, even if you totally disagree, I think, is good style.

c) I like all kinds of music. I might go overboard sometime, but I try not to. I actually used to like Styx - about 20 something years ago - simply because they delivered a great live show and I got my money's worth. Haven't really listened to them since. Although I would agree with the sentiments uttered here, I wouldn't say so in a way it was spelled out here.

Cheers!

Edited by deus62

i never liked styx (although i did enjoy some equally bad hard rock back in the day), but a styx song was used to great effect in "freaks and geeks."

they used more than one, but i think they might have used "come sail away" at just the right time, and it was one of the best uses of music in film i have ever seen.

i told my wife, when you can make me get emotional over a styx song then you know you're doing something right.

[...] but a styx song was used to great effect in "freaks and geeks."

[...] i told my wife, when you can make me get emotional over a styx song then you know you're doing something right.

That one made me laugh.

And, it is absolutely true.

I hope I'm not totally wrong here, but that's that 90s high school TV series, isn't it?

If yes, I know what you're talking about.

Cheers!

Edited by deus62

I was a huge Styx fan back in high school. That was in the late 70's of course. So I have pleasant memories of "Light Up," "Sailing Away," and all those classics - but Styx is one of those bands that's very hard for me to listen to these days. Hmmm. Makes me wanna throw an old LP on the rekkid playa... B-)

I'm sorry, but Styx is a blight upon both music and the great city that I come from. I mean, when someone goes to do the complete family tree of Chicago musicians, we'll have Pops, Ahmad Jamal, Johnny Griffin, Von Freeman, Wilbur Ware, Herbie Hancock, Chicago, The Smashing Pumpkins, Cheap Trick, Nat King Cole, Ministry, Chris Foreman, Kurt Elling, Patricia Barber, Sun Ra, Robert Barry, Fred Anderson, Kahil El'Zabar, Ken Vandermark, Hamid Drake, Tony Williams, Muddy Waters, Willie Dixon and...Styx.

Dude...that's a harsh way to end it.

The only song I still like is "Renegade".

We had some hairy parties at which this song (plus lots of Santana, Doobies, Neil Young, etc.) usually popped up.

Styx = memories.

Fond ones.

I do have the live DVD (Return to Paradise Theatre, or whatever). Cost me a $, no more, and I have had a song or two on in the past years (Usually after a couple of glasses of Venezuelean rum.). The problem with that DVD is, Im sorry to say, that they play the stuff well but they do look a bit geeky throughout. It's the way I would feel, if I had to do the same stupid stuff at parties today that I did way back when.

Excellent drumming, btw, on that DVD.

Cheers!

I hope I'm not totally wrong here, but that's that 90s high school TV series, isn't it?

If yes, I know what you're talking about.

that's the show.

the time frame of the show is 80/81.

the show focuses on a freshman class and a senior class.

i was a sophmore at the time, so it's right up my alley.

it was cancelled before airing an entire season.

the dvd has 18 episodes, but i think only 12 aired originally.

the missing episodes were eventually aired on usa network.

I played Styx all the time when I was in high school. I had to give up on the band when they recorded KILROY. OMG, it was a dumb album. I couldn't abide Styx anymore after the KILROY debacle.

I haven't listened to the band much since the release of KILROY. When I hear Styx tunes these days, they sound, to my ears, simplistic and juvenile.

Somewhere at my house, I've got a piece I wrote about Styx that will better explain my feelings about them than anything I could type here.

Suffice to say, I was obsessed with these guys in the mid-80's when I discovered all of their 70's work. I had three, THREE, difference copies of Paradise Theatre, and my favorite song was "Too Much Time on My Hands." Now I cringe like hell whenever I hear that song.

deus, it's all good! :)

Yeah Al, but did you have the Paradise Theatre vinyl that was laser etched?  shine it in the light just right and it looked like the rainbow colors you see in oil or other things in the street.  :huh:

Note for the record, I did not own this!

A bit off topic, but I have a KISS album that actually glows red when you expose it to light (I've been looking all over the Net trying to find out what kind of collectors' item this is, but I have never found one single reference to it. It has all the standard tags and copyright text the normal album has, but it does glow. And, I've never seen any other LP that does that. For all I know, it is a Tchernobyl pressing). The sound sucks (it's some sort of odd black vinyl that also looks red if you hold it against the light). Maybe I can finance the Complete Dinah Washington on Mercury with that thing? Or maybe a house? God knows.

Cheers!

Edit: This one:

B000001EL5.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Edited by deus62

Yeah Al, but did you have the Paradise Theatre vinyl that was laser etched? shine it in the light just right and it looked like the rainbow colors you see in oil or other things in the street. :huh:

Yup. Had two of 'em: one with the fancy label on side one and the black label on side two; the other with the generic (at the time) A&M label on both sides of the LP.

Note for the record, I did not own this!

Suuuuurrrrrre!!! :P:D:g