Big Al

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol::lol::lol:

Big Al, you crack me up!! :g

B3-er's "utter musical hilarity" comment pretty much sums it up for me. I *was* a Styx fan, back when I was 15. Pieces of Eight and Grand Illusion still bring back memories to this day.

BUT, I did grow out of it eventually. I started to realize how bad they were around the time of Paradise Theater, and that Kilroy nonsense just confirmed it. "Simplistic and juvenile": exactly!

There are people on this board who like Styx and all you are telling them, in as brutally a fashion as possible, is that they just suck.

Sorry deus62, in this case, this is not just someone's subjective opinion. The only reasonable debate about this band is the *degree* of sucktitude -- do they suck just a little, or a whole lot??

I say they suck just a little, but only because I'm scared that they might come kick my ass:

P22034QR7JM.jpg

P22032A1832.jpg

;):g:w

I sheepishly need to add that the first record I ever bought was Kiss' Rock and Roll Over, in 1977. So, what the hell do I know?? Maybe Styx *doesn't* suck??

;) No, they do really suck. And Tommy Shaw looks like a girl (or David Spade!), and that other dude looks like Andre the Giant! :P

In fact, I didn't realize until now what Styx did after they broke up:

princessbridesepic4.jpg

"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, you made fun of my band, prepare to DIE!!"

princess_bride_353.jpg

Edited by Uncle Skid

btw - the styx behind the music is the best of the series.

when they talk about performing in costume at the monsters of rock in texas, and get booed off the stage - that is classic.

Yes indeed. Also this statement from Tommy Shaw, in describing his frustration with the direction the band was taking with Kilroy:

"Styx used to be about going to the concert, buying a t-shirt.... 'STYX!!!! WOOOO!!!!'...... What happened to that?" :(

An interesting thing is how closely the Styx BTM parallels the Journey episode. Right down to the fact that both of the control-freak singers came down with mysterious ailments on the eve of the comeback tour, and were replaced with sound-alikes by the bands...

I remember thinking Grand Illusion was the best album ever made. But then we had some really good weed that summer...

Ahhhhh.... so THAT'S why there was a poster with that record! B-)

I never saw the BTM episode, but my sister relates the story that Tommy Shaw & James Young just wanted to rock out, and yet they were in a band that was famous for..... "Babe"!!!!!! :unsure::g

Spooky...just the other day I saw an add for Styx British dates(just above similar for Kansas)and thought...please don't let me go back there!!!!!!!!

Coming to my senses moments later,questioned was this the original line-up,couldn't make any of them out really,maybe they'd had face-lifts now tho'...

speaking of which,when are Angel jumping(or should that be floating) onto the reunion gravy train?

Edited by Green Dolphin

Hey, wait a second: I was a Kiss fan, too! My first record: Alive II! Skid, you & me related perhaps? :g

:lol:

Well, could be, as I already know that you were (?) a HUGE Aldo Nova fan. B-) ;)

So, how do you feel about April Wine?? Dokken ("rhymes with ROCKIN'!!!)??? Triumph??? Dude, I still have my "Never Surrender" concert t-shirt.

music-smiley-006.gifmusic-smiley-005.gifmusic-smiley-007.gif

when are Angel jumping(or should that be floating) onto the reunion gravy train?

You mean "All the Young Dudes"?

Ah....so now you're making fun of David Bowie and Mott the Hoople fans. :blink:

I actually meant the cover of that tune they did on their live set (where's that pukin' smiley when you need it), but I'm sure you knew that. I think you're just getting the fans of the above-mentioned all riled up. ;)

Bad boy.

Somewhere else I mentioned that I was cleaning out my 1000 plus LP collection which had spent several years in moving boxes, now that I have a new (old) TT.

April Wine (album plus their Monsters of Rock live appearance from way back when ... didn't their drummer use to sit in a cage)?

Yep.

Plus lots of other very embarrasing stuff.

Not much of it is going to survive the second exorcism, the first having taken place many, many years ago.

I did stumble over a lot of NWoBHM stuff, but also over a signed Klaus Doldinger solo LP (he drew a pretty nice portrait on the cover to boot) which is all electronics (mostly keyboards), many signed jazz LPs from various DK Montmarte gigs (lots of jazz greats there ... wonder if this stuff is worth anything as the LPs are probably not in too good a shape ... need to check), my fave being a Teddy Wilson cover onto which he wrote the lyrics to "Lovely weather for ducks" (sung by Rosemary Clooney; when I talked to him in DK he was the only one at the table who recognized the title straight away and began to belt it out after hours in the club), etc.

I need an update to my Roland V-Drums ... I think I'll sell many of the signed copies besides the Wilson, and about 20 others. I think I'll have those framed).

Cheers!

when are Angel jumping(or should that be floating) onto the reunion gravy train?

I actually meant the cover of that tune they did on their live set (where's that pukin' smiley when you need it), but I'm sure you knew that. I think you're just getting the fans of the above-mentioned all riled up. ;)

Bad boy.

I wasn't.

Bad boy.

I wasn't.

I'm sorry if I'm joining the musician/band/etc. bashers. I think that that (double-) live LP is probably the ultimate trash. I worked at a record shop (not for long) way back when that came out and one guy just kept on putting that thing on. At some party we used the LPs as coasters and I have the LPs till this day, Gin stains and all.

God, that stuff was bad. No two ways about it.

And the clothes: :o

Cheers!

ANGEL - LIVE WITHOUT A NET (DOUBLE ALBUM) - LP CASABLANCA NBLP-2-7203

That's the one. :o

Amazing that anyone actually has this stuff for sale.

I'm actually going to check if they have a CD remaster. :lol:

Just for a cover shot.

That I haven't been able to find yet.

Edit: Doesn't look like it. But this one gives you an idea:

B000001DUA.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

:ph34r:

Edited by deus62

ANGEL - LIVE WITHOUT A NET (DOUBLE ALBUM) - LP CASABLANCA NBLP-2-7203

That's the one. :o

Amazing that anyone actually has this stuff for sale.

I'm actually going to check if they have a CD remaster. :lol:

Just for a cover shot.

That I haven't been able to find yet.

I never owned a copy. Same for the Styx.