Buck Clarke Quintet - COOL HANDS

JSngry

Lord shows no other appearances by Don McKenzie. Roscoe Hunter only on the next Buck Clarke album (Argo). Charles Hampton on that and one more Clarke (also Argo) then part of a Charlie Byrd record on Riverside.

Seems like these are DC cats - wonder if the Chicago location for the first Argo record is wrong. The second one does say DC.

Lord has Fred Williams lumped together with the guy who played with Lester Bowie and others - don't know if that's correct.

Fred Williams recorded in DC with Byron Morris and Gerald Wise in 1969. If he's the same guy, there are some big gaps - 1959, 1960, 1969, 1977, 1978, 1981, 1982, 1989, 1990. 10 sessions total.

Mike

According to the liner notes of "The Buck Clarke Sound" (Argo LP 4021), Hampton was a "long time associate" to Clarke. He (Hampton) wrote four of the eight tracks and played flute, alto and piano. Also baritone and clarinet but not on this record.

Peter

Edited by Peter A

There is a Charlie Hampton who plays piano around D.C. I think I've only seen him once, but I see his name listed a lot. He was an elderly gentleman.

I have met Fred Williams a couple of times. He is indeed D.C.-based. Although he has been around for a while (in his late sixties, perhaps?), I have only recently been aware of him. He told me he played in '68 or '69 at Bohemian Caverns with Woody Shaw, Buck Hill and Eric Gravatt. He is also on a recent locally-produced CD by vocalist George V. Johnson. I suspect it is later than 1990. Whether he is the same Fred Williams as the one listed in the Lord, I can't say.

Not familiar with the others.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand