Nefertiti, The Beautiful One Has Come

Alexander Hawkins

I've just listened to this Cecil Taylor recording for the first time. It's really wonderful. From the relatively little Taylor I know, it seems to be the first really mature playing? I don't know if that's fair or not. Anyway, the playing is captivating, on the part of Taylor, Jimmy Lyons, and Sunny Murray.

Is there any other readily available Taylor from this period? Perhaps from the same stay in Europe?

In any case, just thought I'd say how much I am enjoying this...And am only through the first CD!

Interesting - thank you! When I have the money, I'd love that Ayler box.

To ask a slightly different question now...

I have the two BNs. If I'm interested in this smaller group Taylor - and the post-Candid sound - I wonder where to go next? Are things like 'It is in the Brewing Luminous' and 'One too Many...' cognate in any way?

Thanks!

and try "Nailed" from 1991 with Evan Parler, Barry Guy & Tony Oxley

more down the road - and more intense - a little less space - but you get to hear the only other saxophonist (besides Lyons) who really meshes with Cecil at his highest and strongest

and yes - the late 70's band might be the pinnacle for the unit - one here for One Too Many - love the out of tune piano - like on Nefertiti....

and try "Nailed" from 1991 with Evan Parler, Barry Guy & Tony Oxley

more down the road - and more intense - a little less space - but you get to hear the only other saxophonist (besides Lyons) who really meshes with Cecil at his highest and strongest

Agree on "Nailed" - one of my favorite Evan Parker records (not nececcerily Cecily Taylor's).

I would argue though that there was one more saxophonist - Carlos Ward who brought a very interesting aspect to Cecil's (and the whole Cecil's band) playing with his lyrical and higly melodic approach (on Leo label: "Live in Vienna" and "Live in Bologna"). Ward stands out a strong personal voice, in no way overshadowed by or subodinated to neither Cecil nor the memory of Lyons (who preceded him in the Cecil's band). It's a shame they haven't woked more together.

Another altoist I would be very curious to hear with Cecil is Sonny Simmons.

Hi Red, great that you enjoy "Nefertiti" that much! It's an awesome recording!

Adding one more Taylor Unit recommendation: "It is in the brewing luminous" (hatOLOGY), a great live recording, which now seems to stand a bit in the shadow of the recently reissued "One Too Many...".

Also if you can find them, the two "Akisakila" discs are great. They were released on CD by the German Konnex label but are OOP for quite some time now and pretty hard to find. I only have volume two so far, which continues the trio (Lyons-Taylor-Cyrille) from volume one and adds a Taylor solo album, called "Lono".

Of the early discs, I'd recommend you check out the OJCCD with that vibes player. Probably my favourite early (up to 1961) Taylor. Then the tracks on that CD "Mixed" are indeed great, maybe, if you insist on that term, the first "mature" recordings. There was some discussion about early Taylor (rhythm-related, and thus drummer-related issues, mainly) in a thread in the artists section.

ubu