make any recent Dusty Groove orders?

CJ Shearn

I ordered from DG recently, and also saw that "Media Mail" note.  Totally believe it; a December order took 6 weeks to get to Houston.  It didn't even leave Chicago for more than a month, then somehow got routed to Wichita, and then slowly meandered down here.  My Tuesday order was sent FedEx Ground, since it was only a couple of dollars more than Priority Mail, and it got me out of the USPS system.

My recent order was an eclectic mix: 4 ska/reggae compilations (Ska From Jamaica, Can't Stop The Dread, I Love The Reggay - Boss Sounds From Randy's Records, and Different Fashion - The High Note Dancehall Collection), Harpers Bizarre - The Complete Warner Brothers Recordings, Stanley Cowell - Live At Keystone Korner Baltimore, and a Near Mint- LP of Cecil Payne, Phil Woods, & Others - Birds Night - A Celebration Of The Music Of Charlie Parker (Savoy).

And thanks for the heads-up about the second volume of Dexter's All Souls.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought the Japanese reissue of Billy Harper's Black Saint on 12/29. Took slightly longer than usual to arrive (DG shipping to me has always been fast), but not slow enough to raise any red flags.

[Added] But my last Corbett vs. Dempsey order, placed at roughly the same time, was slow to arrive. Still within 2 weeks, however.

Edited by T.D.

Yeah. Media Mail to DFW has been good. They get here almost as fast as First Class, sometimes as fast.

Last order - Shipped 2/14, arrived 2/22. No complaints about that, especially considering the weather event.

Oddly(?) enough, sometimes a DG order will have cheaper First Class shipping than Media Mail. Go figure that. I take whatever's cheaper.

On 2/25/2021 at 8:57 AM, JSngry said:

Yeah. Media Mail to DFW has been good. They get here almost as fast as First Class, sometimes as fast.

Last order - Shipped 2/14, arrived 2/22. No complaints about that, especially considering the weather event.

Oddly(?) enough, sometimes a DG order will have cheaper First Class shipping than Media Mail. Go figure that. I take whatever's cheaper.

I’ve noticed that when you buy 2 single cds or less. 

I just put in an order last night, but am keeping it open for 10 days — a very nice feature, for those of us who try to bundle stuff into less shipments.

Over the years, I practically always choose media mail, but I’m wondering if priority (usps) is really worth the extra $3-$4?? (and there’d have to be even more of a usps meltdown than we’ve seen thus far, before I spend more than double on shipping on FedEx).

I sold a cd on Discogs and shipped it on 12-29. It still hasn’t reached its destination. It last turned up in Cincinnati on 1-8 tracking, then nothing until yesterday when it was tracked in Pittsburgh.

My advice is to avoid shipping via media mail unless the seller or buyer is close. A Dusty Grooves order sat in Chicago for over a month before finally heading my way, I opted for priority mail for my most recent order.

Edited by Ken Dryden

My Dusty Groove order is now officially tracking as 'arriving late' and for all I know it is still stuck in that pit of despair known as the Chicago Regional processing center, as it never had a departure scan. If this Priority mail package gets Media mail service I am going to be f-ing pissed.

53 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

it is still stuck in that pit of despair known as the Chicago Regional processing center

As opposed to the pits of despair know as the Newark Processing Center (where shipments from Europe take weeks long vacations) and the Philadelphia Processing Center (who seem determined to hoard every CD I order for days on end).   It seems bad in every major metropolitan area right now.  And not just media mail.  My mother sent three christmas card to our family from Florida on Dec. 15 and all three took about a month to get here. an  And if changes don't occur at the top, it's gonna get even worse (slower and more expensive).  Depends on your view of the charter of the USPS.  Me, I see it as a government service rather than a self-sustaining business, and have no problem with paying my share of a $10 billion annual loss in order for it to run well.  Pay the freaking overtime at Christmas, etc.   As far as DG, I haven't ordered from there in years, just a phase of life (for me, and for the CD business/era) plus importcds is so much cheaper on so many titles (and carry a shockingly wide range, including the Euro and Japanese titles we crave).  But glad they are there, and that they bring so much joy/pain to so many here.

I haven’t had too much trouble with Newark. Jersey City is another story however.

The entire USPS seems a mess right now. Bills are arriving late and payments as well, incurring late and finance fees. 

Edited by Brad

The existence of one pit of despair was not meant to imply there are not many more, especially the two you mention.

Not sure if its all major metropolitan areas - Tampa, #11 media market, does not seem to be having trouble getting things out into the USPS system or bringing them to me once received.

Not DG but I made low offers on eBay items (like, 50% less) and had all of them accepted. So now a big test for the 2-6 week time frame. I didn't realize seller is in Washington state. So, unless I was still in south Florida, this is the longest distance across the nation for a package that can get kicked into some dark corner at any point in the chain. 

2 hours ago, felser said:

My mother sent three christmas card to our family from Florida on Dec. 15 and all three took about a month to get here.

My cousin in Evanston, IL (Chicago inner-ring suburb) send us a Xmas card the week before Dec 25, and we on got it here in DC on Feb 25 (and it wasn’t postmarked either) — so two whole months!

Re: the open order I have with Dusty (that closes next Monday) — I loath paying 3x or even 4x as much for FedEx (vs. media mail), but it’s almost temping.

5 hours ago, Brad said:

I haven’t had too much trouble with Newark. Jersey City is another story however.

The entire USPS seems a mess right now. Bills are arriving late and payments as well, incurring late and finance fees. 

You're right, Jersey City. that's the one I was thinking of.  Entire Philly region has been receiving water bills after the due date, and the company had to waive all late fees.

Mine arrived only a day late, so I guess Priority was money well spent.

It's been quite a while though ... does DG habitually ship LPs with vinyl inside jacket? I was surprised the two LPs (unsealed) didn't have vinyl outside the jacket, inside the poly outer bag.

• 3 weeks later...

Ordered Classic Capitol Jazz Sessions + The Complete Master Jazz Piano Series from Bob's Jazz Record Emporium(?), also in Chicago, a pretty bigass package of records to trawl at any shipping degree, but this one was sent Media Mail, and check this out - ordered on March 13, UPS tracking showed scheduled for March 22, actually delivered today, March 20. Seven freaking calendar days.

Maybe Bob got an in with the PO? But I've ordered 7 Mosaics from them in the last, what, 8(?) days, four seperate orders (goota work on the impulse control...), and they're here now.

Wherever the weak link(s) in the Media Mail chain are (and they're obviously there), they ain't between either here and Bob's...or. rarely, between here and Dusty.