Kalparush and the Light live in Grand Rapids

Lazaro Vega

7:30pm. The performance is free and open to the public.

Friday, March 4 -- 7:30pm

Schuler Books and Music

2660 28th Street

Grand Rapids, Michigan

(616) 942-9660

Kalaparush and The Light will also perform live on Blue Lake Public Radio,

WBLV FM 90.3/WBLU FM 88.9, on Thursday, March 3rd at 10 p.m. in a program

hosted by Lazaro Vega. Blue Lake serves all of Western Lower Michigan from

the campus of Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp, the international summer school for

the arts (www.bluelake.org).

Kalaparush was a founding member of Chicago's AACM (Association for the

Advancement of Creative Musicians) music collective. Often described as

soulful and lyrical, Kalaparush's playing has been topic for nearly forty

years since his historical appearance on Roscoe Mitchell's 1966 album,

"Sound," the AACM's debut recording.

The Brooklyn based Kalaparush and The Light recorded their latest album,

"Morning Song" (Delmark 553) while in town for their appearance at the 2003

Chicago Jazz Festival. The 2004 Penguin Guide to Jazz recently awarded the

album 4-stars and declared, "...marvelous...a set in which blues, bebop, raw

field shouts and more classical forms all seem to have contributed to an

extraordinary musical alloy."

Kalaparush & The Light is Kalaparush Maurice McIntyre (tenor saxophone),

Jesse Dulman (tuba), Ravish Momin (drums, percussion). Neither of

Kalaparush's cohorts was yet born when Kalaparush was making history in the

mid 1960s -- Momin born in 1973 and Dulman in 1981.

# # # #

• 2 weeks later...

Been getting ready for this one by going back to Roscoe Mitchell's "Sound," especially Kalaparush on the piece "Ornette," and K's own "Humility in the Light of Creator" with that great sax, 2 basses, 2 drummers format, and then into the more recent things. The recent Delmark is still the best of the lot from Kalaparush's latest "outpouring" of recordings. Best sound, best performance. The new CIMP CD with Adam Lane joining The Light on bass shows how that low end of the band still fascinates K (string bass AND tuba) though the recording quality isn't happening. John Litweiler nailed it when he said Kalaparush is a melodic improviser. Even in the sonic extremes of Roscoe's early music, Kalaparush is already offering another way to deal with "energy music" on tenor.

Psyched. Please keep on eye on www.bluelake.org and the "public radio" page for a link to a web stream. My boss is working on getting that going before Thursday (while he's also interviewing potential office managers). It will be down to the wire....literally...streaming radio on the web is all about wires...wireless is still the best, but I look forward to celebrating my 22nd anniversary of producing Jazz From Blue Lake (March 1, 1983) with you curious, passionate people.

From Ravish Momin:

Upcoming Mid-West Mini-Tour for Kalaparush and The Light:

March 2nd: WNUR Radio Live Interview (11-12:30PM) 89.3 FM, Chicago, IL

March 2nd: Chicago Cultural Center, Chicago, IL (7PM) Claudia Cassidy Theater

March 3rd: Blue Lake Radio (www.bluelake.org) Live Broadcast, Grand Rapids, MI (WBLV FM 90.3/WBLU FM 88.9) (10-11pm)

March 4th: Schuler Book Store, Grand Rapids. MI (7:30PM)

March 5th: Al Williams Loft Society, Cincinnati, OH (9PM) (call 513-559-9220 for details!)

(March 6th has been re-scheduled to the following due to extenuating circumstances)

March 17th: University of Pennsylvania (An ArsNovaWorkshop Production), Philadelphia, PA

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PENGUIN GUIDE TO JAZZ:2004; 7TH EDITION (BY RICHARD COOK & BRIAN MORTON)

Kalaparush and the Light- Morning Song (Delmark 553)

Kalaparush- t.sax, Jesse Dulman-tuba, Ravish Momin- drums; Recorded 8/03.

And then, back at Delmark after all those years, Kalaparush and the Light (as he calls the trio) turns in an album that really has been worth waiting for. Despite the silliness of titles like “Symphony No. 1”, he turns in a set in which blues, bebop, raw field shouts and more classical forms all seem to have contributed to an extraordinary musical alloy.

There is a further and better version of “I don’t have and answer…” which suggests how much the group has evolved. Take our advice and treat the CIMPs as rehearsal tapes, interesting to listen to later, but certainly not a patch on this marvelous disc.

“Kalaparush and the Light's Morning Song is a necessary pick-up.”- NY Press (2.22.05)

The uniqueness of McIntyre's sound is matched by the fluidity of his thought, for he tends to unspool ideas faster than the ear can absorb them. If the speed of his delivery recalls the bebop era of his youth, his astringent harmonies, piquant dissonances and unusual melodic structures are utterly of today -- fresh, provocative, unpredictable, unexpected. […]

But McIntyre's contributions as bandleader proved equally impressive, for he has found kindred spirits in tuba virtuoso Jesse Dulman and drummer Ravish Momin. Each held his own in this exceptional band, a trio of equal parts if ever there were one. Listen to the sweet polyphony that these three players attained in "Mmahjae" -- McIntyre's beautifully sculpted lines dovetailing with Dulman's counterpoint on tuba and Momin's sublime brushwork on drums -- and you're hearing ensemble improvisation that's as alive and spontaneous as it gets.- Howard Reich, Chicago Tribune (4.5.04)

Good to be there!

I just relaxed, quieted my thoughts, and let the sound wash over me. I could feel the drums and tuba sending vibrations through the floor and into my legs and stomach. I got the idea that the sound was reording me on a cellular level. Don't know why I thought of that. At times I fixated on the bell of the tuba, with Jesse's wild shock of hair protruding out from behind the horn, the sight of which combined with the crazy sounds he was producing to create an almost surreal, cartoonish experience. Ravish's time was elastic but driving and didn't falter. Randy and our friend Kurt picked up on the tabla rhythms in his approach; it was confirmed afterwards that he does play tabla. Kalaparush has a wonderful tone and a good flow of ideas. One rather pensive tune was titled, "I don't have an answer.... unless it's God."

Good to be there!

I just relaxed, quieted my thoughts, and let the sound wash over me. I could feel the drums and tuba sending vibrations through the floor and into my legs and stomach. I got the idea that the sound was reording me on a cellular level. Don't know why I thought of that. At times I fixated on the bell of the tuba, with Jesse's wild shock of hair protruding out from behind the horn, the sight of which combined with the crazy sounds he was producing to create an almost surreal, cartoonish experience. Ravish's time was elastic but driving and didn't falter. Randy and our friend Kurt picked up on the tabla rhythms in his approach; it was confirmed afterwards that he does play tabla. Kalaparush has a wonderful tone and a good flow of ideas. One rather pensive tune was titled, "I don't have an answer.... unless it's God."

Great review Joe! I have little to add to that... Ravish's approach to the drum kit is refreshing and as Joe stated, I commented that I sensed a tabla background in his approach. When talking to Ravish, he in fact revealed that he had studied with Trilok Gurtu!

At times I would just close my eyes and let the trio's improvisation of themes, tones. colors, rhythms, and textures wash over and through me,,,,